Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted

Stream: French

Time-stamp: 6:57

wGPA: 3.96

CASPer: Overall went well,  definitely did not manage to fully answer every question.

ECs: Not to many, some traditional ones (Hospitals, homeless shelters, research) and some non-traditional activities more related to my program of study.

Interview: The interviewers were nice, but I had no idea how it went once I was done.

Year: 5th year undergrad

Geography: IP

Stream: English

Time-stamp: May 14th

wGPA: 3.90+

CASPer: Winged it, practiced only formatting

Interview: Thought I bombed this one, my interviewers were incredibly harsh and seemed to want to test me alot

Year: UG

Geography: IP

Will be declining

Result: Accepted!

Stream: English

Time-stamp: 7:08 am 

wGPA: ~3.90-3.95 (would have to calculate, can edit later)

CASPer: Felt good about it, but never really know with this thing. I typed as much as I could and really tried to add in a lot of my public health knowledge which I think helped a lot! 

ECs: 7 years as a lifeguard/swim instructor, lots of university clubs on campus (mental health awareness, tutoring/mentoring positions, etc.), a couple years of hospital volunteering,  medical mission work abroad, community volunteer work, worked as a recruiter for my university, etc. Feel free to PM me for more details! No research experience!

Interview: Felt really good about it. They were very interested in a few of my experiences and asked a lot of questions about them.  Had some laughs, felt relaxed.  Came out feeling confident but met so many amazing applicants that day so it was definitely tough to predict the outcome! I would say this felt like my best interview honestly. 

Year: Finishing masters (course-based)

Geography: IP

Will be declining for offers closer to home. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist :) Don't give up on the dream - I applied took the MCAT four times, applied two full cycles with no interviews and before finally getting a chance on my third cycle, took a year off of school, and completed a one year masters program. Your story will unfold in its own unique way and keep working hard and pushing for the dream! It's so very worth it. Feel free to PM me with any questions or if you need advice friends! 

Really excited to be able to post this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Geography: OOP (From AB)

GPA: 3.95 for OMSAS

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

After changing my mind 1000x, I have finally decided that I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

On 5/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, PTturnsMD said:

Really excited to be able to post this to a few different threads... This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE THIS YEAR (4 acceptances, 1 waitlist). I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

Geography: OOP (From AB)

GPA: 3.95 for OMSAS

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked in a hospital in Calgary as Physical Therapist for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random jobs (Earl's, Starbucks, Ringette Referee, etc). Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing)

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off!

After changing my mind 1000x, I have finally decided that I will be declining for U of A, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

This made me so happy. Thank you so much for posting this. I send you the most positive, happiest vibes and know that a person like you is going to make an excellent doctor. 

Result: Waitlisted CNFS (good waitlist it looks like?)  ***** Edit: Accepted off the waitlist on June 3rd; declined the offer ******

GPA: 3.97 ish

Casper: a shit show as usual, felt the same as last year. Much harder in french than in english. 

ECs: Unique and diverse

Interview: Some asshole on my panel was super rude, he was on his phone during my interview and looked super unhappy with my answers and how long I was taking to answer their questions. He psyched me out unfortunately and I lost my cool, I was super stressed out by him. Instructors are told not to push applicants to the point where they are uncomfortable, but he didn't care. Even if it was a show/test, this interviewer acted unprofessionally and crossed the line. I knew I bombed my interview when he psyched me out

Year: 4th year UG

Edited by onesieluv

On 5/20/2019 at 11:47 PM, onesieluv said:

Result: Waitlisted CNFS (good waitlist it looks like?)

GPA: 3.97 ish

Casper: a shit show as usual, felt the same as last year. Much harder in french than in english. 

ECs: Unique and diverse

Interview: Some asshole on my panel was super rude, he was on his phone during my interview and looked super unhappy with my answers and how long I was taking to answer their questions. He psyched me out unfortunately and I lost my cool, I was super stressed out by him. Instructors are told not to push applicants to the point where they are uncomfortable, but he didn't care. Even if it was a show/test, this interviewer acted unprofessionally and crossed the line. I knew I bombed my interview when he psyched me out

Year: 4th year UG

would you mind sharing the time stamp for your waitlist email?

Result: Accepted :)

Stream: French (regular)

Time-stamp: May 14th, 6:56 am but found out on OMSAS during the night!!

wGPA: ~3.89

CASPer: I love CASPer haha, I actually had fun writing it and doing practice before and I loved studying for it.

ECs: Very unique and diverse, not in the medical field except for research (i.e. no hospital volunteering or student clubs related to medicine). I do things that I love and I try to show passion and commitment for what I believe in.

Interview: It was my second time interviewing so I knew a bit more what to expect. I prepared for weeks and I was myself and had fun and showed passion. For real, being yourself is the best advice I could give. Felt good coming out of it.

Year: 4th year

Geography: IP

Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist :)

Salut à tous!! Félicitations aux admis! et bonne chance à ceux ayant reçu une réponse moins positive, faut pas lâcher, même si c'est difficile... Est-ce que certains d'entre vous comptent se désister de Med à l'UdeM s'ils sont pris en dent ou autre (pharm, opto, med vet...)? et qu'ils sont dans le contingent bac connexe pour médecine? SVP tenez moi au courant!
  •  

Theory Time! RE: Time stamps on waitlist emails

Hey guys! I think I may have found a pattern between your wGPA and the time you receive your waitlist email. 

Every person who has a 3.98 wGPA (including me) who has posted on this thread, has received their email between 07:17:55 and 07:18:02.

This might further support the idea that there's a correlation between your time stamp and position on the waitlist. Probably just speculation but has anyone observed a similar pattern? 

1 hour ago, avocadoctor said:

Hey guys! I think I may have found a pattern between your wGPA and the time you receive your waitlist email. 

Every person who has a 3.98 wGPA (including me) who has posted on this thread, has received their email between 07:17:55 and 07:18:02.

This might further support the idea that there's a correlation between your time stamp and position on the waitlist. Probably just speculation but has anyone observed a similar pattern? 

You could be on to something! However, shouldn’t that imply that the time stamps for other wGPAs should be similar? Unless they rank you based on a cumulative combination of interview score + wGPA, in which case a 3.5/4 score on interview + high wGPA would put you at the top. 

2 hours ago, avocadoctor said:

I have a 3.99 with a 7:18:59 timestamp. Although I may just be at the top of a really shitty bin