Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted (off good WL)!!!

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.93-3.94

CASPer: Was very good. Did a lot of prep and practice and I was very comfortable with the questions.

ECs: Lots. Sports, volunteering, leadership, hobbies, personal experiences... diverse and long term generally.

Interview: The interviewer was ok. I thought maybe 2 questions I didn’t answer that well...it was hard to tell overall... Also my interviewers were kinda poker faced and tried to challenge me a lot but that was expected.

Year: BSc 2018

Geography: OOP

Finally was able to get through!

Result: Accepted off the Waitlist (original timestamp: 7:18:3X)

wGPA: 3.96 (cGPA is lower)

CASPer:  I got an interview at Mac as well, so I'm comfortable saying it went good. I type pretty fast. 

ECs: Average, I believe. Research heavy. 

Interview: I really stumbled at first (I blanked on the first two questions completely due to nerves), but thought I was very comfortable by the end. Made the interviewers laugh a few times, and they were very friendly. 

Year: just finished UG

Geography: IP (Ottawa born and raised baby!) 

I'm shaking and losing it! Best of luck to you all, I believe in you. 

So excited to post this! Good luck to anyone still waiting

Result: Accepted off of waitlist (original timestamp: 7:18:4X)

wGPA: 3.95 

CASPer:  I felt pretty confident about it afterwards. I am a really fast typer which definitely helped. I was able to answer all three questions each time and never got cut off or felt that an answer was incomplete. 

ECs: I would say average but unique. Have research but no publications. 

Interview: Really did not feel good at the beginning, but as time went on I become more comfortable with the interviewers and got a few "wow's" which was definitely nice and reassuring. However, they were clearly a more serious group so I had to work for that! Left feeling good, then later convinced myself it did not go well at all.

• 6 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 12:35 PM, gatbacan said:

Hi guys

do you know anyone admitted to Ottawa med school with an accounting undergrad ? because i am wondering if ottawa limit admission to its med school to student with health/sciences background

Thanks!

Hey, they don't. I dont know anyone with accounting but a girl in my class did engineering!

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, Matty66 said:

Result: Accepted (off good WL)!!!

wGPA: 3.93-3.94

CASPer: Was very good. Did a lot of prep and practice and I was very comfortable with the questions.

ECs: Lots. Sports, volunteering, leadership, hobbies, personal experiences... diverse and long term generally.

Interview: The interviewer was ok. I thought maybe 2 questions I didn’t answer that well...it was hard to tell overall... Also my interviewers were kinda poker faced and tried to challenge me a lot but that was expected.

Year: BSc 2018

Geography: OOP

@Matty66

I am a International Student accepted for 'Under Grad- "Honours Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science".

I have carrier motto for my Medicines ahead In Canada or US. As me aware need to maintain my GPA at the highest order along with high MCAT scores to o ahead in same direction.

I can see you are from uOttawa Univ, Can you please guide me how difficult is it to maintain high GPA at this University?

i am a student with  3.9 GPA @ in high school in USA. I basically belong to my home country. 

Appreciate all the help here

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Result: Good Waitlisted (tried to check the time it is created on but i have outlook and when I get into the source code I see the times: 7:42:13 and 07:29:24, received at 7:42 though) 

Stream: English

cGPA: 4.00

CASPer:  felt good about it but I also wrote in it Thailand and was 12 hours ahead sO I actually wrote it at 3 AM so maybe take that with a grain of salt ahha

ECs: NSERC + more research, varsity sports all 4 years, one pub + poster, some clubs/volunteering, no long term clinical volunteering though 

Interview: Felt okay about it even though I had a chest infection that day - felt good immediately after leaving the room but then realized after the interview that maybe i didn't finish my questions properly. Wish I had discussed more "final outcome" if that makes sense. Have been dissecting it for 2 months since 

Year:  1 years post undergrad, backpacked and now working  

Hoping for the best, but realistically thinking the worst. 

This is my first application cycle though and I have never written my MCAT yet so looks like this is gonna be my plan for the summer!!! Was hoping to never have to write that beast but what can ya do 

Result: Waitlisted 7:19 am

Stream: French

Geography: OOP, CNFS

cGPA: 3.93 (On OMSAS)

CASPer: Pretty good I think, although I can't remember much. Done in French. 

ECs: mostly research, 1 longterm volunteering with exec role, another student club exec...

Interview: It didn't feel that great! I had no idea what to expect going in what to expect and certainly wasn't expecting some of those questions. Honestly the waitlist is a nice surprise!

Year: Finishing 4th year of undergrad.

Congratulations to those accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist!!

Result: accepted <3 (7:06AM)

wGPA: 3.858 (my last 2 years were 3.95, but honestly had absolutely no hope for ottawa bc of this gpa.. sooo theres hope guys!!! ) 

CASPer:  felt good!

ECs: residence donning, lots of mental health advocacy work, and things that made me happy like charity fashion show directing and stuff.. not super typical id say tho 

Interview: i felt very connected to 2/3 members of the panel, one was reassuring and smiled a lot, and i felt like it flowed really well. they questioned me a few times and caught me off guard a bit but overall left feeling at peace. 

Year:  finishing 5th year undergrad now! 

still deciding between ottawa and western, gonna be a really tough decision!! honestly soo beyond grateful, congrats to everyone. this is surreal 

Result: Accepted!! (7:07 AM)

Stream: English (bilingual)

GPA: 4.0

CASPer: felt okay, got a Mac interview

ECs: exec of three clubs, co-pres of one, some volunteer research, hospital volunteering for 4+ years, some sports and music, multiple awards, etc.

Interview: felt okay but not great so I'm surprised but excited!!!!

Year: 3rd year UG

Edit: will be accepting my offer :wub:

Result: Accepted (6:40AM lol)

Stream: French boi

wGPA: 3.97 ( 1st year was 3.89 so it's possible to recover ) 

CASPer:  good enough for Mcgill

ECs: nothing special, hospital volunteer, nserc x2, Let talk science, author coordinator, 

Interview: some question were a mess concerning ethic, i really drop the ball, but the personal stuff was pretty decent 

Year:  4th yr undergrad biomed

Waiting for Laval/MTL and will decide in time, congrats to everyone for their hardwork

Result: Accepted

Stream: French

Geography: Ottawa

cGPA: 3.84 (weighted for UOttawa)

CASPer: I don't type fast, but I thought the questions were very easy to answer.

ECs: Mostly work (long term), nothing really related to medicine

Interview: I felt good coming out of it, but started doubting my answers afterwards.

Year: Finishing 4th year of undergrad.

I just wanted to let people know that they CAN get in without a perfect GPA :) 

Result: Accepted (Good waitlist at 7:37 AM) 

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.97 

CASPer:  not good enough for Mac, good enough for UofA (thought I did ok). Didn't do as much prep as I would have liked, but did reflect a lot over my personal experiences and naturally have a fast typing speed.

ECs: extensive, diverse, and long-term. 

Interview: honestly I thought that I had blown my chance with uOttawa given that I was very anxious and scattered throughout my interview and it really showed in my responses. I felt like I wasn't able to show them my best self. My interviewers often gave me confused looks despite being a friendly panel, and I answered some questions very awkwardly. I felt really bad about my interview and cried as soon as it was over. I guess this shows that how you perceive yourself in your interviews isn't an accurate portrayal of how others see you.

Year:  Masters 

Waiting on UofC and UBC, and will likely remove myself from the waitlist. Good luck everyone :)

Can't believe I'm making this!

Result: Accepted!!! at 6:42AM

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer:  Felt great, also got accepted to Mac but I'll be turning that offer down for Ottawa!

ECs: Long and diverse!

Interview: Felt confident coming out of it but I was worried since a lot of people I know who got accepted in prior years had negative interview experiences. Glad to see I was worried for nothing :)

Year:  4th year undergrad

Best of luck to everyone, I will be accepting this offer over Mac!! I don't want to be associated with the lottery class, especially now that it's been reported in mainstream media. I'm worried it might also affect residency and future physician perceptions with shadows.

Result: Accepted

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer:  Pegged it as average. 

ECs: Lots of things I am proud of - good enough for EC heavy schools

Interview: Really weird experience. It definitely was not my best performance but it was not my worst either. 

Year:  4th

I will be accepting this offer. I can't wait to be a Gee-Gee!