Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted!!!

Email timestamp: Yesterday @ 8:08AM

BSc graduate, IP, OOO

WGPA: 3.97

ECs: Undergrad thesis, volunteering (local + international), job shadowing, TA, participated in a few clubs, couple academic awards/scholarships.

Interview: I haven't done a lot of interviews in my life so I couldn't really gauge how I did. Definitely surprised to know that it went well! :D

I'm beyond thrilled/humbled right now. Second time applying after what was a very disheartening first attempt last year. I'm waitlisted at Mac as well but I'll be withdrawing in favour of Ottawa (my first choice).

Congrats to everyone else who got in! & good luck to those on the waiting list. :)

Waitlisted

MSc, IP, OOO

wGPA: 3.96

ECs: The usuals. Hospital volunteer (2+ years), Red Cross advocate (2+ years), choir, intramural sports, very research-heavy including international conferences, countless posters and invited talks, journal club, 3 papers accepted for publication in high impact journals (Journal of of Clinical Oncology, Circulation etc)

Interview: No good. The interviewers were either very pushy or stone-cold.

Ottawa is not my top pick, and I'm lucky to have acceptance from other schools. I will be withdrawing myself from the waitlist soon. Good luck to all on the waitlist.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted! (Sorry for the delayed post) French Stream

B.Sc McGill 2012

MS Columbia University 2013

Applied: Ottawa, McGill, Laval, Sherbrooke, Montreal

Accepted: Laval, Ottawa

Attending Ottawa!

Good luck everyone!

• 3 months later...

Someone asked me if I was a member of this site yesterday evening, never heard of it before, but I figured I could help people applying and chime in.

Residence: IP NL, therefore OOP for Ottawa

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 32R (11,10,11) <- not bad, but ****ty week :/

ECs: Founded societies/clubs, chaired committies, took time off school and worked.... pretty standard stuff.

I was accepted May 14th to the anglophone stream. Interestingly I learned that I am partly aboriginal in May, so I am working with the Aboriginal stream now as well. (Want to get involved with my heritage)

I really wish I knew about that before May, but I got in all the same.... so I guess it really doesn't matter.

If you have any questions send me a message

Congrats to the rest of my 2017 class!!

P.s. My residential status should be a dead give away of who I am. I think I am the one of the only Newfies to come through Ottawa in the past 4-5 years

• 8 months later...

Accepted!

Timestamp: 8:51 EST

3rd Yr OOP

wGPA: 4.00

ECs: Club activities, hospital volunteering, TAing, translating, guitarist, academic awards, research scholarships no pubs

Interview: Felt very comfortable and casual - might have helped that I had really nice interviewers

I'm an IP + OOO resident in 4th year UG studies. My GPA was 3.97 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 13

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: Q

I was good waitlisted by Ottawa for the Anglophone stream. This is my 1st time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Western as my first choice.

Will almost certainly decline waitlist.

Time Stamp: 9:02 AM

Good waitlisted

wGPA 3.97

MCAT N/A

Stream: English

ECs - lots of volunteer experience both locally and abroad, research, lots of committee work

Congrats to all those accepted and goodluck to those still waiting!

Accepted off the wait list yesterday (May 28). Such an exciting day that I really wasn't expecting. Beyond excited :)

Time Stamp: 9:06 AM

Bad waitlisted

wGPA 3.96

MCAT N/A

ECs - lots of research experience, Master's student.

I felt ok post-interview. Didn't feel strongly that it went terribly or went great. I guess I could summarize the experience to say that the questions I was asked seemed better suited to 3rd year UG applicants than to a more mature graduate student.

Good luck to everyone!

Good Waitlist

wGPA: 3.95

Stream: EN

ECs: research 3rd/4th year, many undergrad awards, club exec, dancer, nursing home and hospital volunteer, tutoring for more than 5 years, very short term employment.

Felt I answered some of the interview Qs very well in the sense that they were honest and showed my personal life experiences and motivation for medicine. However, I struggled with 1-2 Qs which is why I think I was waitlisted. I was not confident after the interview; I cried every time I thought of May 13. I'm glad I still have hope and praying I get off. Congrats to those who got in!!

Good Waitlisted (Accepted off of waitlist May 29th)

wGPA: 4.0

3rd Year UG

IP, not Ottawa Region

EC's: In the Interview Invite section. Long term things, some rural community projects, music, sports, jobs.

Interview: The cliche of all cliches, but I was just myself. Poured my heart out when I felt it was right, laughed and joked when I normally would have... just had a bit of fun with it!

Good Waitlist

wGPA: 3.94

ECs: Decent

Interview: Thought it went well overall but had some tricky ethical scenarios.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted and hoping there's some good movement this year!

Time Stamp: 8:50 AM

Accepted!!

wGPA- 3.93

MCAT (if you want, but doesn't matter): 10P/10V/11B

ECs: Working for a doctor, many school clubs, faculty council, long term athletic commitment, minimal research, no pubs

I'm blown away as I only got an interview after someone cancelled theirs!! I owe someone my first born.

Good Waitlisted

WGPA: approx. 3.96

4th year

IP, not Ottawa Region

EC's: lots of volunteer, club activities, leadership positions.etc

thought I bombed the interview coming out, so I was surprised that I even managed to get on the good waitlist. Will withdraw from the waitlist for uoft though:)

Time Stamp: 9:05 AM EST

Bad Waitlist

wGPA: 3.98

ECs: 300+ hours volunteering as first responder, several other long-term volunteer activites, some unique short term activities, 4 years part time/full time employment, no research

Interview: Felt okay about it, but apparently did not do too well