Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Time Stamp: 8:31 AM Central

GoodWaitlist

wGPA: 3.94

Stream: EN

ECs: I had entries for all 5 sessions of the ABS

Ottawa is actually my first choice, so PLEASE PLASE let's get the waiting list going...I don't mind waiting but I want uOttawa so badly!

ps: how many Anglophones get good waitlisted? anybody has an estimation? And how many usually get accepted off the waiting list (average-wise)?

ACCEPTED OMG!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Time Stamp: 9:50 AM (Atlantic time)

3.93 wGPA

ECs: two publications, lots of research experience, national excellence award for honours thesis project, hospital volunteering, started a few campus initiatives, competitive amateur boxing, crisis line volunteer

Others - in the first year of my MSc, undergrad was a BScH in psychology, minor in biology

Result: Accepted!

Year: 3rd year OOP (Alberta)

wGPA: 3.96 (I think?)

MCAT: 14, 12, 13 (39)

EC's: Hospice volunteering, lifeguard/swim instructor, first aid stuff, volunteering with vulnerable populations, research with a publication in a high impact journal, golf, various sports etc....

Interview: Felt very good! Easily my best!

Will be accepting if I don't get into UBC... So, I guess we will have to wait and see!

***SERIOUSLY, IF YOU WANT MED: DONT GIVE UP!!!!***

THE FEELING OF BEING ACCEPTED IS INCREDIBLE:D

Time Stamp: 8:50 AM

Accepted

wGPA: 3.97

ECs: exec of few clubs, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, outreach, lots of employment, track and field, and more...

Fifth year undergrad (joint degree program), second time applying

Others - felt great at interview, was honest about the responses, nothing scripted and most importantly I was being myself.. started second guessing myself post-interview obvi lol..

I feel these standard responses are meaningless to the viewer so I will give my opinion on the whole application cycle. Guys I know how it feels to be rejected and having to repeat the whole cycle again.. But its important to know that the system works. Some way or another it seems to work and the right people get in to med at the right time. When I was rejected last year I felt devastated and felt as if I failed myself. But I learned so much about myself and grew as a person. I know it sounds all cliche but I really think its important to make mistakes and fail to be able to truly appreciate what it takes and where you end up.

So my advice: Learn from this application cycle, identify weaknesses and improve yourself, get out there and kill it next year !!!

Accepted

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 30

ECs: diverse, strong

Others: 4th yr, 1st app, accepted to UT also and waiting on U of A on Thursday

I about passed out when I read the email, I was initially rejected pre interview and got a call saying someone dropped their interview so I had a chance, interview must of went well. It felt like it did.:D

Time Stamp: 08:52 AM

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wGPA: 3.97 (3rd year)

Stream: EN (bilingual status)

ECs: Couple years of volunteering in a hospital ER, significant leadership experience within university, research for two summers and a bit with one abstract submitted (no pubs), lots of soccer activities.

Probably the worst interview of my life, but clearly I know nothing about interview performance. Absolutely thrilled, see you all soon enough :)

Time Stamp: 8:53 AM

Accepted!!!

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: N/A

ECs= many meaningful experiences (research, teaching, pubs, clubs)

Others - Felt really pumped/confident after coming out of the interview... as the months passed got really analytical of my answers and started having doubts--- word of advice I guess is to stick with your initial gut instinct haha!!

Almost had a myocardial infarction waiting for the "8:15" am (historical time for acceptance email to come) notification.

Accepted! So excited!

wgpa: 3.99

Sketch: Hospital volunteering, NSERC, job as research assistant, exec of 2 clubs, volunteer at different organizations such as Heart & Stroke, BBBS

Current year: Completed UG in June 2013, currently working.

Interview: Thought it went well but wasn't sure about few of my answers.

Result: Waitlisted (good waitlist)

CGPA: 3.95

ECs: maxed out all the spots, check other posts for more details

Year: Finishing up MSc

Geography : IP, but not Ottawa

EN stream

Interview: Felt not so great, I knew I could have answered better in a few questions. First time applying and first ever medical school interview.

Accepted May 13, posting a little late. First time applying and couldn't be more happier :D

Result: Accepted

wGPA: 3.93 (strong upwards trend)

Stream: English

ECs:

I though they were quite strong, apart from research where I really didn't have much experience:

research with no pubs (only 2 out of 3 filled for research)

Many leadership positions and a few leadership/extracurricular achievement awards

Many academic oriented awards

Hospital volunteering (over two summers)

Lots of shadowing, was able to shadow surgeons over a 1 week period in a busy hospital during a wide range of surgical procedures

2 week medical outreach (assisting local doctors) in South America

2 years as a President / Founder of a culturally oriented club

3 years of mentorship with Big Brothers Big Sisters

2 years as a mentor to first year students with my University

and so forth

Interview: felt really shaky, did not feel that well coming out of the interview, glad it worked out so well :D

Other: Rejected post-interview from Toronto

PM me if anybody has any other questions or needs advice, I will be more then happy to help :)

Time Stamp: May 13, 9:02 am

Result: Good Waitlist

wGPA: 3.93 (i think... my transcript is somewhat confusing, I have 2 undergrads, but not all years were full time)

EC's Competitive springboard diver and coach, CISV trip to Italy, SickKids volunteer, volunteer in orthopedic hospital in Nepal, taught competitive acrobatic dance throughout undergrad, directed several summer programs, summer research project with biomechanics prof at university of waterloo

Interview: I was very happy with my interview, I prepared for months for it, and felt good when I got out.

Edit: I got in off the good waitlist on May 29gh @ 2:40 pm!!

Time Stamp: May 13, 6:02 am PST

Result: Good Waitlist

wGPA: 3.98-4.0 (not sure, but within that range)

EC's: had a little bit of everything- volunteering in healthcare, music-related hobbies, little research, teaching

Interview: I thought it was okay. Didn't really practice for it since I thought it would be hard to prepare for a panel. Felt pretty natural and relaxed throughout the interview.

I will be withdrawing myself from the waitlist as I have been accepted at my first choice. Good luck everyone!

Edit: I was accepted in early June before I managed to withdraw myself from the wait list. I have declined the offer, so hopefully the next person in line will be getting some good news soon! :)

Time Stamp: May 13, 8:51am

wGPA: 3.91

Year: 4

Will I accept? idk

Interview: Interview went well. Made the panel laugh and they joked with me as well. Ethics questions were very tricky though and they kept changing the scenario after every answer to try and trap me in a corner. These people interview dozens of candidates daily and are already bored out of their minds. Standout, come in with some energy. Leave your nerves at the waiting area and relax and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to post, but hopefully this helps some people!

Accepted off of the wait-waitlist on June 6, 2014. Declined offer.

OOO, IP

wGPA = 3.98

Interview: felt amazing. Was so shocked when I didn't get it. At least I know that I can improve on my interview skills for the future. To all wait-listed people: best of luck, I know it's hard.

• 10 months later...

Time stamp: Tues May 12 at 7:35am EST

OOO, IP

wGPA: 3.95-3.98ish (never actually calculated)

Interview: I thought it went really well and felt really good afterwards, but I did think I could have done better on one ethical question (organized my answer a bit better, and said more things).