Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Guest Ian Wong

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Recommended Posts

Result: waitlist - good - english 

Timestamp: 7:42 AM 

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 518; 130/127/131/130

CASPer: got interview at mac - waitlisted at mac 

ECs: residence advisor (3y), research volunteer (clinical and basic science), exec on many clubs, lots of other stuff 

Interview: answered everything genuinely and honestly - it was not easy - but it felt better than last time i interviewed at ottawa (2018/19 cycle)

Year: Graduated 2019 - gap year

Geography: From Kingston

3rd cycle and second cycle interviewing - got waitlisted at u of t/mac/ottawa last year  

removing myself from waitlist  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Good waitlist (email at 7:37 AM) 

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer: Got an interview for McGill (IP) so I think it went decent

ECs: lots of research (3y) with posters, sporty things (5y) and employed experiences...

Interview: honestly I thought it went really well. Had a few good laughs with my interviewers and thought I answered all the questions the best I could. 

Year: Just finished undergrad

Really hoping to get in when waitlist starts moving :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Good waitlist - EMAIL AT 7:45?!?! DOES THIS MEAN IM IN THE SHITE POD WHAT 

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer: No idea, didn't get Ottawa last year tho

ECs: research heavy (3y) with awards, presentations, posters (publications in progress), sports (5y) and employed experiences, LOTS of volunteering

Interview: honestly I thought I talked too much, but I answered as best as I could and wouldn't have changed those answers tbh. I'm puzzled and upset

Year: 1 Year Post Undergrad (Waitlisted at 2 schools last year, SAME DAMN THING THIS YEAR)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Good waitlist? (email at 7:37) Edit (May 15th 2020): ACCEPTED off Good WL

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.98

CASPer: Thought it was average. Didn't get Mac though.

ECs: research heavy with presentations and publications in prep. Lots of scholarships. Long-term employment. Different volunteering in hospital and underrepresented population.

Interview: honestly thought I did my best. I was sincere, confident and really tried to bring in my personal experiences as examples to support my answers everywhere I could. I was also lucky to have had a warm and friendly panel and I think that really helped my confidence and openness. But I met a lot of great interviewees that day and never knew what to expect. I doubted my interview ALOT afterwards and I guess my performance was JUST shy of enough of the direct offer.

So so so very shocked and grateful for this and I will be accepting for sure.

Year: Graduating UG this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Accepted

Stream: French

wGPA: 3.89

CASPer: must have been alright - wrote it once in English and once in French

ECs: mostly work related. minor volunteering. honestly not great

Interview: Came out thinking it went really well, and slowly but surely convinced myself it was trash.

Year: Graduated 2018 - first time applying, currently working full time in unrelated field

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay first of all, I created an account solely to ask how the f does one know if you're on the "good" or "bad" waitlist? You guys all seem to know too much for your own good...

 

Result: waitlist - ???good??? (based on conversation with a friend) - english 

Timestamp: 7:39 AM 

cGPA: 3.96

MCAT: wrote twice because I thought I bombed the first one fml: 516; 131/128/129/128 and 518; 130/126/131/131 (second is higher but oof dat CARS doe)

CASPer: not good enough for a Mac interview but honestly how does anyone know?

ECs: MOA (1y), physio assistant for kids who had disabilities (1y), hospital volunteer (2y), high level competitive equestrian (14y), study abroad + school ambassador, various short term volunteer positions and sports etc, research assistant for a summer in Indonesia

Interview: Alright? I didn't want to burst into tears when I walked out the door, but to this day I still talk to myself as if I am answering the questions to make my answers better

Year: Graduated 2018 - just vibing in the meantime lol

Geography: From Vancouver

Last year I only applied to UBC, first year interviewing at both Ottawa and UBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Waitlisted (English) - good

Time Stamp: 7:39am

wGPA: 3.95

CASPER: Received interview to McGill (OOP) as well so assuming it went well. Fast typing speed (140wpm+) helped.

ECs: Diverse, strong, and long-term. Research-heavy awards.

Interview: Second interview and was more thrown off by panel than expected. I distinctly remember - in the beginning of the interview I wanted to stall for time because my throat dried up so much, so I tried to pour myself a glass of water and my left hand was trembling the whole way through. Embarrassing...

Geography: IP

Removing myself from the waitlist. Good luck to all those who are still waiting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Accepted (French) 

Time Stamp: 6:46am 

wGPA: 3.81

CASPER: Prepped for about a month. Wasn't sure I did well and I got cut off on one question I think. 

ECs: Diverse, music and church stuff, and little research experience. 

Interview: My first ever interview and I thought it didn't go well. I left feeling ok and started to doubt my answers ~10 min after. My panel was sort of neutral and one of the interviewers kept asking follow up questions. I was expecting to be placed on the waitlist but I'm so grateful! 

Year: 4th year (graduating this year) 

Geography: IP

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: accepted - english

Timestamp: 6:59 AM 

cGPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 514; 130/129/127/128

CASPer: Got a mac interview as well, but mac waitlist. Practiced somewhat but not a ton, just did online questions I could find. Answered all questions. 

ECs: (probs the strongest part of my app): student response team 4 years and 1 year in leadership position, research 2 years 1 publication 1 international conference, university concert band 1 year, intramurals 2 years, various shorter term commitments (kids ability volunteering 1 summer, phone support line 1 summer etc.), competitive sport from young age to end of highschool

Interview: I thought it went well except for a couple of questions, laughed a bit with interview panel, felt low-key overall

Year: Graduating from undergrad this year (2020)

Geography: IP

Second year applying, first year with multiple interviews, waitlisted at toronto, mac, western and Calgary. Feeling very lucky and very very excited!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, deedee908 said:

Result: accepted - english

Timestamp: 6:59 AM 

cGPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 514; 130/129/127/128

CASPer: Got a mac interview as well, but mac waitlist. Practiced somewhat but not a ton, just did online questions I could find. Answered all questions. 

ECs: (probs the strongest part of my app): student response team 4 years and 1 year in leadership position, research 2 years 1 publication 1 international conference, university concert band 1 year, intramurals 2 years, various shorter term commitments (kids ability volunteering 1 summer, phone support line 1 summer etc.), competitive sport from young age to end of highschool

Interview: I thought it went well except for a couple of questions, laughed a bit with interview panel, felt low-key overall

Year: Graduating from undergrad this year (2020)

Geography: IP

Second year applying, first year with multiple interviews, waitlisted at toronto, mac and western. Feeling very lucky and very very excited!!! :)

Will you be accepting Ottawa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Accepted (1st time applying and only school I interviewed at - still in shock)

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.92

CASPer: Must have been alright - wrote it once in English

ECs: Lots of volunteering, athlete, variety of jobs (ie. bank teller, bartender), research, pubs - honestly, my CV is VERY diverse. 

Interview: Felt good about it, laughed a lot and had a very genuine conversation. Really tried to show them my outgoing personality :) 

Year: Graduated 2018 - first time applying, currently finishing my MSc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Accepted - English

Timestamp: 6:52 AM 

cGPA: 4.00

CASPer: thought it went well, decent typing speed and felt that the practice test gave me a good idea of what to expect. 

ECs: the usual volunteering at hospitals/clinics, research, volunteering abroad, started fitness club at local high school, president of a society on campus, waiter, intramurals, and some other more unique things

Interview: felt that I answered everything decently then blacked out right when I walked out of the room lol. The panel was very nice, one interviewer was really throwing me off though. 

Year: 3rd year

Geography: IP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: "Good" Waitlisted - I think I was 7:46 or something though so maybe lower end of good..?

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.93 

CASPer: I think it must have went somewhat well given my 'lower' GPA; really went with my gut and winged it this time around which I think helped me be less neurotic. However, I did do extensive MMI prep the year before which must have helped.

ECs: Research, clubs, music, but really not super exceptional. I think the research awards (NSERC, and a smaller award) may have helped boost my application a bit from last year.

Interview: The interviewers stayed neutral the whole time and although some parts felt strong, the other parts perhaps not as much. However, honestly I felt proud knowing that I gave it my all and would not have changed the way I answered anything if given chance to go back.

Year:  4th year UG

Removing myself from waitlist, good luck everyone !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: accepted

Timestamp: 7:06 AM 

Stream: English, IP 

wGPA: 3.96

CASPer: prepared for this quite a bit. Didn't read Doing Right, but rather practiced responding to ethical scenarios with a friend. I enjoy ethics quite a bit, though I have no background in it. 

ECs: Some leadership things during UG. 

Interview:  sometimes interviewers just play bad cop

Year: Graduated. 

I will be accepting this offer. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time lurker! Want to start contributing to the community that helped me, starting with rounding out stats:

Result: Waitlist (good, bad, no idea?)

Stream: English

Timestamp: 7:42 AM 

MCAT: 521 (130/127/132/132)

cGPA: 3.99

CASPer: No interview at Mac - CARS score may have contributed to this

ECs: Diverse IMO, PM for details if you're interested!

Interview: Meh. The interview was average at best. I didn't feel like I made a great connection with my interviewers, but at the same time they didn't challenge/probe me. Probably my worst interview of the schools I interviewed at.

Year: 4th year

Geography: OOP (East Coast)

Will be removing myself from the waitlist. Deciding between U of T and Queens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Result: Accepted (7am)

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.915

CASPer: Felt it went well, I type fast (PM for general tips) 

ECs: research, hospital volunteer, advocacy, tutoring PM me if you want more details 

Interview: felt really good about it! Connected well with the interviewers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Result: Accepted @6:54am 

Stream: English

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: I think I got around a 500 (repressed the memory of it hahah) Ottawa was my only shot and I am so shocked, stay hopeful everyone!!!

CASPer: Felt okay. not much prep other than reviewing personal scenarios and watching some YouTube prep videos

ECs: Research, clubs, basic volunteering, lots of sports! (No pubs) 

Interview: really comfortable during, def over thought my answers afterwards but I guess it went well! 

Year:  Masters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, thatcrazyhorsegurl said:

Okay first of all, I created an account solely to ask how the f does one know if you're on the "good" or "bad" waitlist? You guys all seem to know too much for your own good...

 

Result: waitlist - ???good??? (based on conversation with a friend) - english 

Timestamp: 7:39 AM 

cGPA: 3.96

MCAT: wrote twice because I thought I bombed the first one fml: 516; 131/128/129/128 and 518; 130/126/131/131 (second is higher but oof dat CARS doe)

CASPer: not good enough for a Mac interview but honestly how does anyone know?

ECs: MOA (1y), physio assistant for kids who had disabilities (1y), hospital volunteer (2y), high level competitive equestrian (14y), study abroad + school ambassador, various short term volunteer positions and sports etc, research assistant for a summer in Indonesia

Interview: Alright? I didn't want to burst into tears when I walked out the door, but to this day I still talk to myself as if I am answering the questions to make my answers better

Year: Graduated 2018 - just vibing in the meantime lol

Geography: From Vancouver

Last year I only applied to UBC, first year interviewing at both Ottawa and UBC

Your email will say something like "due to your current position on the waitlist, it is unlikely that you will be offered admission". If you dont have that on your email then you're in the good list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how waitlist movement works? Will we have to wait until a bit after the 26th before they release empty seats to the waitlist? Or could people hear back anytime now as people decline offers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dr. Shqipe said:

Does anyone know how waitlist movement works? Will we have to wait until a bit after the 26th before they release empty seats to the waitlist? Or could people hear back anytime now as people decline offers?

Some good info here:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...