Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

1) English Ottawa region (3rd year student)

2) Accepted

3)4.00gpa

4) Felt great after the interview... interviewers were really warm and the environment was super relaxed.

5) 2 national level sports, 3yrs research, 5yrs hospital volunteering, 5yrs volunteer coaching, 5 yrs volunteer tutoring

Congrats to everyone who got in!!

If you got into more than one school, and have any questions about why you should choose Ottawa, post them on the "Reasons to choose Ottawa" thread, and I'll convince you that Ottawa really is the best school in the province!

Cheers,

Dr. Acula

uOttawa Meds 2013

Accepted!

4th Year - U of T

wGPA: 3.95 or so

Interview was cool. Didn't think I performed at my best, but goes to show you it really does not matter.

Results at other schools:

Accepted: Queen's, UWO (London), Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlisted: McMaster, Dalhousie

I am torn 50/50 on whether to go to Queen's or UWO. I will be visiting both campuses this weekend, and will hopefully have my decision made by Monday or Tuesday.

Will more than likely be withdrawing from Ottawa in the next couple days. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Congratulations everyone!

Ottawa: 3.9 GPA (3.99 if I applied again lol)

I thought my interview went great lol (what do I know)

interviewed at both Ottawa and Toronto

Accepted at Toronto, Good waitlisted at Ottawa.

I will be attending uoft and take my name off of the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

(I'm hoping more people will post their waitlist info here)

1) Stream: English Stream, OOO, but IP.

2) Good waitlist (I hope this eventually changes!)

3) wGPA - 3.840 (Yes, I know... under the 3.85... But, I think the cutoffs were a little lower this year because friends of mine who recieved rejection letters stated that there was no mention of a gpa cuttoff this year). I just finished a course based masters with a 4.0 but I know this doesn't matter.

4) Interview Feeling: Meh. Some answers were good... for others I felt like I was babbling... and while doing this my inside voice was yelling "YOU'RE BABBLING!!".

5) Lots of ECs because I'm a little bit older. I have thousands of volunteer hours in standard stuff (big sisters, health teaching, HIV), and I'm an RN so lots of health care work in varried settings.

Congrats to the accepted group, and a big thanks to those who are opening up waitlist spots :)

I was accepted at U of T and uOttawa. I was on my way to midwife school, but I've accepted the Ottawa offer instead!

Stream: English, from Ottawa

GPA: 3.93

Interview Feeling: fun! I had a great, dynamic panel of interviewers, which made the whole process a pleasure.

EC's: I guess that they went in for the non-trad artsy vibe (!). Several years work as a pro musician, certified birth doula, lots of public health and hospital volunteering, longtime work as a lifeguard (as well as NLS instructor/examiner), first aid instructor, one publication (2nd author).

Ottawa seems like a fab school - I'm really drawn towards the e-curriculum, as well as the biligual nature of the school and teaching hospitals. Looking forward to meeting everyone in September! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist :)

OOP

wGPA: 3.89

Interview: Didn't feel great about it but do remember some strong parts..

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie, UofT, Mun, Calgary

Interviews: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie, UofT (did not attend UofT)

accepted: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie

Although I was very impressed with my visit to Ottawa (school and city) I will be accepting Dalhousie.

Congrats everyone and good luck to those on the waitlist!

OOP (English stream)

GPA: 3.88ish

Typical ECs

Interview was seemed great, but who really knows in the end...

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie, UofT, Queens, Calgary

Interviewed: Ottawa, Mac, Queens

Wailisted: Ottawa, Mac, Queens...I may set the record for number of hotmail checks by the end of this year!

Out of province

wGPA ~ 3.95

I thought my interview went okay, although not as well as Mac. Being waitlisted pretty much reflected my feelings about it.

Hoping to hear from Ottawa before the 27th!

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, McGill

Interviews: Ottawa, Mac, McGill

Accepted: Mac

Waitlisted: McGill, Ottawa

Edit: accepted to Ottawa May 26th, accepted to McGill June 1st

I can finally post one of these entries!

In province, English

wGPA: 3.9something

MCAT: 12/10/11 R

4th yr applicant (second time applying)

Applied: UWO, Queens, Toronto, Mac, Ottawa, Dal, Calgary, Sask, bunch of US ones

Interviewed: Queens, Toronto, Mac, Ottawa (!!!), Dal, Wayne State

Accepted: Mac, Ottawa (!!!)

WL: Dal, Wayne, Queens

Interesting thing was that I was invited to interview A DAY before the interview day! They called me and said "Hi if you recall we rejected you pre-inteview, but now we are calling you back. Can you get here for tomorrow?". Now, here I am :D. So, rejected pre-interview and somehow accepted post-interview!

Still on the fence, but might see you all in the fall :D

Good Waitlisted

IP, from the GTA

wGPA 3.93 (3.94, 3.94, 3.92)

Interview - COLD COLD COLD panel, and I think I pissed off my 4th year clerk. I mentioned something about U of T and their curriculum, and after that, she looked really pissed (as if she took offense to my question) and started giving me attitude with her responses to my questions at the end of the interview. After that I thought I was screwed. But my answers seemed okay IMHO

Graduated in '09, currently working as a researcher at one of the big Toronto Hospitals, lots of EC's, 3 really good reference letters, lots of awards

I'm really worried. Ottawa was my only interview this year (in fact, my only interview ever). I felt like crap when I left the interview because of what happened with the 4th year clerk, and the fact that the panel was cold. I don't think I could have changed my interview answers much though, they were pretty good IMHO (and the only reason why I think I was good waitlisted).

And then I opened my email and saw the waitlist email. :(

I'm really anxious to see what is to come. I work with great people who have helped me through this anxious time (and have great friends and a wonderful girlfriend). Hopefully I get in so I can take them all out and thank them for the support :)

I am just dreading not getting accepted this year, because putting together another med school application is going to be a PAIN

Good luck guys. For those accepted, don't come to Ottawa, they need some room for me ;)

Ontario,out of ottawa

wGPA-3.9

Interview feeling-Really warm,although one of the interviewers kept cutting me off every time I tried to speak,but he was really nice once the interview was done.Was the last interview of the day,don't know if that played a part in my acceptance.Over the last couple of weeks I had completely convinced myself I was going to get wait listed,so def. surprised.This was my only Ontario interview,so I am glad the way it worked out.I have accepted their offer.

EC's-not too many,but dedicated to only a few I have been doing for a while.I watch surgeries for my job so that might have helped catch their attention.

Congrats everyone who got accepted and good luck to all those who are wait listed.

1) Stream you fit into - English, Ontario

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected

Accepted Ottawa, Waitlisted (#3) NOSM - really wavering on whether to confirm my acceptance to Ottawa if offered NOSM

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - not sure to be honest, 3.85?

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - very warm, was more nervous than I thought I would be, but settled in well. Answered questions succinctly (done in 25 mins) so thought there was a chance I had blown it since it didn't generate a lot of discussion.

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) - africa, homeless shelter, not too much but I have been working full time as a nurse for 6 years (cardiac surgery, cardiac anaesthesia, and community health nursing).

Anyone else deciding between NOSM and Ottawa?

Accepted Ottawa, Waitlisted (#3) NOSM - really wavering on whether to confirm my acceptance to Ottawa if offered NOSM

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - not sure to be honest, 3.85?

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - very warm, was more nervous than I thought I would be, but settled in well. Answered questions succinctly (done in 25 mins) so thought there was a chance I had blown it since it didn't generate a lot of discussion.

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) - africa, homeless shelter, not too much but I have been working full time as a nurse for 6 years (cardiac surgery, cardiac anaesthesia, and community health nursing).

Anyone else deciding between NOSM and Ottawa?

Hey, I am in exactly the same position as you are. Accepted at Ottawa with a wGPA of 3.88, out of Ottawa, in Ontario. I am also on the waitlist for NOSM and it is my first choice since it is a smaller class and I think I will be more comfortable in such a setting. It is a great school. May be we shall meet in September

1) Stream you fit into - English, OOP

Bad waitlist aka my ass was rejected

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - my 4 year GPA was 3.9+

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - Didn't feel good about it. I was unprepared for the questions they asked. Definitely tough questions. Pretty warm panel though.

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) - student societies, bit of menial hospital volunteering, some sports, pretty typical. Good enough to get an interview I guess (y)

- English Stream, in-province but outside of Ottawa

- 3.88 wGPA

- I walked out of the interview feeling pretty relaxed. I thought my answers were thorough and sincere. The interview panel was a mix of warm/cold - the cold part was mainly from the community interviewer while the rest of the interviewers would either smile, nod or laugh.

- Pretty involved - volunteering at a Health Centre (e.g. dietetics, rehabilitation, assistant to HR director, volunteer coordinator, etc. total of >500hrs), worked two part-time jobs (e.g. tutoring, private therapist), mentoring (e.g. one in Bangladesh, etc.), athletic council for 2 years, music extracurriculars for 3 years (e.g. musical, choir, band), sports (e.g. badminton team), dragonboating for 2 years, and some other things.

Good waitlist but I've accepted MAC's offer.

4th year applicant

GPA: 3.95 (3.98 best two years)

MCAT: 30S

Applied: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Interviewed: All schools

Offers: UWO, Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlist: Mac, Queens, NOSM

I just accepted UWO - there is now an extra spot in the Ottawa med class :)

GL to everyone

Just got off the Good Waitlist

wGPA 3.93

MCAT: 30S

Applied: Western, Queen's, Ottawa

Interviewed: Ottawa

Interview feeling - terrible, lol, very cold panel, think I pissed off the 4th year clerk

EC's:

-spent September 2009 til now as a clinical researcher at one of the big Toronto hospitals

-variety of volunteering experiences (mostly with kids, not much hospital volunteering, won the Ontario Volunteer Service Award in 2007)

-some scholarships

-lots of first aid/lifeguarding/swim instruction qualifications (including being a First Aid instructor)

-lots of outside interests (playing drums, piano, lots of sports, semi-pro chess, yoga, working out, competitive billiards, and maintaining my 6pac lawl, beach volleyball, basketball)

-3 really strong references from people who knew me really well

See you guys in September, I'm accepting my offer!!!! :D

WOOO! I'm so excited! Keep your head up guys, the WL is moving

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected- Interviewed Ottawa (good WL) and Toronto (rejected)

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - 3.92

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - not very good...i kept getting funny looks :S

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) - international volunteering (Honduras, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina), wheelchair basketball coach, feeding program at home for seniors with dementia

EDIT: I was accepted off the waitlist on June 10

Guest Mr. Nash

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected- Good WLed at Ottawa

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - 3.92

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - relatively warm panel. A lot of joking around. But they gave me a lot of standard questions, im not sure why they did that. thats why i felt like i didnt tell them a lot of the unique answers i had prepared.

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) - international volunteering (India), A lot of volunteering in the local community, lots of intramural sports, some research, worked my way through university so a lot of job experience (TAs, residence don, summer jobs, etc)

Was too excited since 13th, so posting it only now (was waitlisted at Ottawa two years ago, so know what it feels like)

1) English (Ontario not Ottawa)

2) Accepted:)

3) wGPA 3.9ish

4) Great panel, was the best interview I've been to.

5) finishing MSc, hospital/other volunteering since high school, TAing, research awards, etc

Hello everyone,

I was accepted off the waitlist today and I will be accepting the offer! I just graduated in April with a 4-year honours degree. Here are my stats:

1) Stream you fit into: English (Ontario not Ottawa)

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected: Accepted off Good Waitlist

3) wGPA: 3.89

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel): Warm panel with really friendly people. You give a positive vibe, and generally speaking, your interviewers respond positively.

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here): I did a bunch of different things during my undergrad, but I made sure I enjoyed every minute of it. This way, I was able to have quality learning experiences that I could talk about passionately, both during the application and the interview itself.

Were you on any other waitlists?

Whoops! Forgot to mention some important points.

Applied: Ottawa

Interviewed: Ottawa

Accepted: Ottawa (initially good-waitlisted)

Also, last year as a third year applicant, I applied to McMaster, but was rejected pre-interview. I was absolutely devestated, but I think now I've realized that eventually good things come around.

I would have applied to all Ontario schools this cycle, but my MCAT verbal was too low and thought that I would just try out Ottawa. When the interview invite came around, I was pretty shocked, and now, two months later, I'm actually accepted.