Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: ACCEPTED

cGPA: 3.84

wPGA: 3.89

MCAT: 11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS, Q WS

ECs : 3 years of research, 5 conference presentations, TA'ed 6 courses, executive on a couple clubs, videographer at university and external organizations, helped develop courses at UofT, Tutor, hospital volunteer, campus Red Cross/Charity work, Student Advisory panel for new professors at UofT, a few awards, currently working at UofT as a Lab Technician, Lab Volunteer Coordinator and TA for 6 courses

Year: completed undergrad but not a grad student

This is the most INSANE thing possible. I was rejected pre interview and then someone cancelled their interview and I got one of the last possible interview spots.

I have no more words. Congrats to everyone

I have waited for 15 years to be able to say this: ACCEPTED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!

UOttawa was the only school I applied to. This is the happiest moment of my life.

Time stamp: 8:15 am

GPA: 3.99 (undergrad), 4.0 (grad school)

EC: extensive sports, leadership volunteering, hospital volunteering, LOTS LOTS LOTS

I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET EVERYONE!!!!

Bad Waitlist (8:44 AM)

OOO

EMAIL says: "However, I must inform you, that, given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer."

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), recreational therapy at Alzheimer's Care Centre (1 yr), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer.

LORs: 2 x research profs (1 leader, 1 collaborator), Alzheimer's volunteer supervisor (advocate)

Interview: Felt really good. Thought the ethical scenarios went really well but the non-ethics Qs weren't as good.

Waitlist (not sure if good/bad but the email reads "You have been placed on the WL. You will be notified if your name appears of the list...")

wGPA: 3.95

IP, OOO

ECs: Some hospital volunteering + TAing + research (pretty average)

Interview: Thought it started really bad but made a decent recovery...hopefully the WL moves fast!

*sigh* more waiting !!

Good wait-list? (My email says: "Your name has been placed on a waiting list. You will be notified by telephone or by e-mail communication if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September."... Does this mean good list??)

8:41am

OOP

wGPA 3.89

EC's: The strength of my application.. many community and university related volunteer/leadership activities, president/vice-president roles, coordinator, etc.

Research: Significant research experience, NSERC, CIHR, publication, honours

Awards: Many leadership/volunteer related awards, some prestigious/convocation awards, academic scholarships

Interview: I thought the interview went really well, I felt good about how I portrayed myself and what I am all about. However, no matter how "well" (or bad) I really did/score, reality is that my wGPA is lower than most others so the rank-order list for offers doesn't work to my advantage.

I was initially rejected for an interview but then invited when others declined so for me (although its not the answer I would like to hear) this is pretty good news.

Any idea of when the wait list starts to move? :P

Accepted! 8:11am

wGPA: 3.94

3rd year undergrad

EC: lots of research experience, varsity athlete (national level), student council, hospital volunteer, volunteering with troubled youths, etc.

Interview: felt very very VERY casual. They were extremely friendly and laughed at all my jokes and were kidding around with me as well. Felt very lucky that they were so easy going and nice.

Can't wait to see everyone in September!

ACCEPTED!

wGPA: 3.98

cGPA: 3.90

ECs: nserc, 3 research projects and conference presentations, developed experiments and instructional videos for chem department and TAed ochem for ~1year, rural clinical volunteering, 3-4 years of volunteering with developmentally challenged children, some academic awards, painting/selling artwork, and i have been managing a research lab for a little over a year.

I don't post too often on this forum, but thank you to everyone who kept the positive energy up, it really kept me sane the last couple months. =)

ACCEPTED!

wGPA: 3.99

cGPA: 3.98

ECs: lots of long term commitments, 3 years student council leadership, volunteering at respiratory and psychiatric hospital, two undergrad research projects (summer and school year), and two published abstracts (one first author).

I felt that my Ottawa interview went really well, and it's a really great school. Unfortunately, I will be withdrawing in favour of McGill. Good luck waitlisters!

Bad waitlist

wGPA 3.93

ECs below average but good enough to get me an interview

Interview felt ok. Felt that I could have personalized more and expanded more on things in my ABS that were brought up. Thought that I answered ethical questions fine and didn't think my nerves affected my performance. But must not have been that great.

Woke up to receive three rejections (essentially - "bad waitlist" at Ottawa) which was heartbreaking. I wish they gave feedback. I'm worried three post-interview rejections says something about me and my suitability for medicine, and don't know if it's something I can change. After an hour of being convinced I never want to put myself through this again, I know I will keep on applying and try to improve for the future.

Congratulations to those who made it, and good luck to those on the waitlist.

After last night's leaf game I was pretty down.... but good news is (first, I will be a sens fan for the rest of playoffs) and second....

Accepted, U of T and University of Ottawa

Very tough decision ahead for me. I love UofO's curriculum, the student atmosphere and the culture of Ottawa.

cGPA:3.99

wGPA:3.95

MCAT: 30-T

ECs: Many meaningful experiences

Words cannot describe how eternally grateful I am for this opportunity.

My interview was quite pleasant. and conversational. Very friendly panel. Left the room feeling the best I have ever felt after an interview.

Like I said above, it's going to be a tough decision.

Good (?) Waiting List

wGPA: 3.93

EC's: some research, two publications in progress, scholarships, sports teams, TA, volunteer tutor

OOO, finished 4th year

Interview: felt like I absolutely bombed it..pretty sure I even closed my eyes for a minute in the middle of answer. THAT is how much of a nervous wreck I was, and I don't even know if it actually got any better. AH! The waiting continues.

Nonetheless, super grateful for the experience thus far.

Congrats to those who got in, and best of luck to my fellow wait-listers! :)

Applied: UOttawa

Interviews: UOttawa

Waitlisted: UOttawa

Accepted, French stream (CNSF)

Hometown: PEI

OMSAS GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 31S

Graduated from Dalhousie with a BSc Microbiology & Immunology, and Biology (with distinction)

ECs: Student government, scholarships, volunteering at hospitals, health promotion, and community health, club execs, 16+ years dance, mentoring, shadowing doctors. 6 years of contract work with the federal government in national parks, teaching assistant, 4 years as a Sandwich Artist ;) .

First time applying to any Ontario schools, actually thought the interview went horribly. Gonna have to take a few days to hash out my options, once I convince myself that the email wasn't a hoax!

Waitlisted (good waitlist)

cGPA: 3.97

ECs: lots of stuff around university and research

3rd year

Ottawa Region

Thought interview went well but I am not a good judge of panel interview ahaha. It looks like I am accepting McMaster so anyone who is waiting for calgary and ottawa may (or may not) have moved up.

Congrats to everyone who got in!!!