Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Looking at the stats of accepted people, it seems like going to US isn't exactly an "easier" path. People who got accepted in US should have had a decent chance of getting into Canadian schools too. If not, why go to US and pay so much tuition?

Just more options and a greater chance of ending up in Medical school?

Yes, in part.

My reasons are:

1. There are some Canadian-friendly and lesser competitive schools than in Canada from a pure stats perspective. MCAT is also very important in the US.

2. Yes. More applications = greater chance.

and 3. The research agenda for many of the schools I applied to is a critical aspect. Seeing as I come from a PhD background, not only is this what I would prefer for medicine (i.e. physician-scientist), but it also better supports my transition. Instead of being a "did a PhD, wasn't good at it/didn't like it/it doesnt pay well, so now trying the next best thing" it becomes a "did a PhD and enjoyed research, but now I want to have a greater impact and directly work with patients" thing.

In all fairness, I agree that it is more expensive for a Canadian to pursue a degree in the US. However, one has to remember that ~half of the banks will still fund you AND you are also eligible to use Canada Student Loans in the US (although this will only be a small amount of your cost). From my perspective, because I want the best training possible, I would strongly consider an excellent US school over any of the Canadian ones if I had to choose. Additionally, residency options are more and there is a smaller resident:spot ratio in the US also.

Anyway, food for thought.

Looking at the stats of accepted people, it seems like going to US isn't exactly an "easier" path. People who got accepted in US should have had a decent chance of getting into Canadian schools too. If not, why go to US and pay so much tuition?

Just more options and a greater chance of ending up in Medical school?

There are applicants who could get accepted to Canadian and US schools. They are more open about posting their stats/acceptances on these forums. But there are many other people (like me) who are not competitive in Canada but do get some attention from US schools. For example, I cannot even get an interview at Canadian schools based on my GPA/ECs. But lower tier US schools have looked favorably at my application. US admissions are more attainable for people like me.

Yes, in part.

My reasons are:

1. There are some Canadian-friendly and lesser competitive schools than in Canada from a pure stats perspective. MCAT is also very important in the US.

2. Yes. More applications = greater chance.

and 3. The research agenda for many of the schools I applied to is a critical aspect. Seeing as I come from a PhD background, not only is this what I would prefer for medicine (i.e. physician-scientist), but it also better supports my transition. Instead of being a "did a PhD, wasn't good at it/didn't like it/it doesnt pay well, so now trying the next best thing" it becomes a "did a PhD and enjoyed research, but now I want to have a greater impact and directly work with patients" thing.

In all fairness, I agree that it is more expensive for a Canadian to pursue a degree in the US. However, one has to remember that ~half of the banks will still fund you AND you are also eligible to use Canada Student Loans in the US (although this will only be a small amount of your cost). From my perspective, because I want the best training possible, I would strongly consider an excellent US school over any of the Canadian ones if I had to choose. Additionally, residency options are more and there is a smaller resident:spot ratio in the US also.

Anyway, food for thought.

Yeah, it seems like US schools really like research so a PhD does give you an advantage while Canadian schools (beside U of T) couldn't care less about graduate school.

I hope you get in! :D

There are applicants who could get accepted to Canadian and US schools. They are more open about posting their stats/acceptances on these forums. But there are many other people (like me) who are not competitive in Canada but do get some attention from US schools. For example, I cannot even get an interview at Canadian schools based on my GPA/ECs. But lower tier US schools have looked favorably at my application. US admissions are more attainable for people like me.

Ah, I see. Do people still end up getting residencies from "lower tier" schools? If they do, what is exactly is the benefit of getting into a top notch school? Better chance at a specialty with low spots?

Ah, I see. Do people still end up getting residencies from "lower tier" schools? If they do, what is exactly is the benefit of getting into a top notch school? Better chance at a specialty with low spots?

If you do well on the board exams and have interesting activities and accomplishments that back up your desire for your speciality, then you can get in from any school. So it really depends on how good you are. The reason top tier schools are associated with an improved chance of getting into top specialties is because these schools can attract very high level students from the start, who have a higher probability of success than the lower quality students that end up going to less prestigious schools.

If you do well on the board exams and have interesting activities and accomplishments that back up your desire for your speciality, then you can get in from any school. So it really depends on how good you are. The reason top tier schools are associated with an improved chance of getting into top specialties is because these schools can attract very high level students from the start, who have a higher probability of success than the lower quality students that end up going to less prestigious schools.

As much as I personally would like to think this isn't true, I think there's also something to say for the name. Top tier schools have a reputation, and I think that, in a worst case scenario would be a small positive on your application. In other words, lets say two people apply, one with a 240 from a low tier US MD school and one with a 235 from a top tier US MD school, rest of application is pretty equal... I'm willing to bet the top tier student will get it despite a worse USMLE. This is just my opinion, btw.. I have no data to back this up... but I have witnessed how much a University's reputation plays a role in the academic world.

The reputation of a school won't make or break you but it will definitely help with getting interviews for good residencies with everything else equal... Take it from the PD of one of America's top medicine residency programs - they do factor in school reputation when they are ranking applicants for interview invites (simply because they have way too many applicants to sort out to give equally careful consideration to everyone)

• 3 weeks later...

Let's get the thread rolling for the 2012-2013 cycle

Ontario Resident, B.Sc. in Health Studies

2nd application cycle

Accepted at University of Kentucky (10/16) (First time applying)

Alternate List at Wayne State (10/24) (second time applying, rejected pre-interview last year)

Full MDapps: http://www.mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=22519

2nd application cycle

Alternate List at Wayne State (10/24) (second time applying, rejected pre-interview last year)

congrats on KY

which one would you prefer KY or Wayne?

are you applying in CAD too?

2nd application cycle

Congrats on the acceptance; you must be so relieved to have an acceptance this early. Keep us posted on your status with other schools please. I was also rejected at Georgetown, and I'm still anxiously waiting to hear back from quite a few schools.

2nd application cycle

Congrats on your acceptances! May I ask what happened during your first time application? Because it seems you have pretty good academic scores, and it kinda scares when I see ppl like you getting rejected...

2nd application cycle

Wayne - do you know how if they accept LOI, and if it would help with the alternate list?

Congrats on your acceptances! May I ask what happened during your first time application? Because it seems you have pretty good academic scores, and it kinda scares when I see ppl like you getting rejected...

First application last year I guess was a trial run, I applied very late and wasn't complete maybe until early october and didn't get secondaries in until at least early november. So I definitely learned my lesson and applied a LOT earlier this year! I also had the additional time to gain a few new experiences and get some non-academic references which may / may not have helped.

First application last year I guess was a trial run, I applied very late and wasn't complete maybe until early october and didn't get secondaries in until at least early november. So I definitely learned my lesson and applied a LOT earlier this year! I also had the additional time to gain a few new experiences and get some non-academic references which may / may not have helped.

congrats on KY! funny coincidence, we have the exact same GPA/sGPA and pretty similar MCATs. i'm interviewing at wayne state soonish. if you don't mind me asking did you stay overnight in detroit? (and if so, student stay-over or hotel?). i'm coming from far enough away that i need to organize accommodation for a night.

congrats on KY! funny coincidence, we have the exact same GPA/sGPA and pretty similar MCATs. i'm interviewing at wayne state soonish. if you don't mind me asking did you stay overnight in detroit? (and if so, student stay-over or hotel?). i'm coming from far enough away that i need to organize accommodation for a night.

I stayed in Windsor for the night. The flights were cheap, and there is a bus that runs between Windsor and Detroit that got me to my morning interview nice and early. I found the hotels in Windsor to be cheaper than any of the deals Wayne State had to offer as well

Rejected : CWRU College Track. Letter dated 121016, but didn't appear on website till 121030. Still pre-interview for CWRU University Track.

Sorry to hear that, the CCLCM program really is amazing. CWRU is still extremely research-oriented however, and is somewhat forgiving for low GPA applicants like us.

Sorry to hear that, the CCLCM program really is amazing. CWRU is still extremely research-oriented however, and is somewhat forgiving for low GPA applicants like us.

thanks nychila.. Do you have any idea as to numbers for the CCLCM program? Do they have a certain amount of seats dedicated to that or how does it work? just trying to think as to why..

I did send an email asking them for reason(s) for the rejection and whether there were any serious issues, as it'd be informative for improving future applications. Don't know if they'll get back to me or not.. so far BostonU has, UChicago ignored me.