Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Cycle: 2014-2015

cGPA: 3.87

sGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 34

Applied to about 14 Allopathic Schools and 1 DO school.

Interviewed: Central Michigan University (M.D.), University of Kentucky (MD), Michigan State University (DO)

Waitlist: University of Kentucky

Accepted: Central Michigan Uni, Michigan State Uni

• 2 weeks later...

cGPA: 3.91

sGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 29

Applied to 6 DO schools.

Interviewed: Lincoln Memorial University, Nova Southeastern University and Liberty University

Waitlist: Nova Southeastern University (Good chance I will be accepted)

Accepted: Lincoln Memorial University

cGPA: 3.91

sGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 29

Applied to 6 DO schools.

Interviewed: Lincoln Memorial University, Nova Southeastern University and Liberty University

Waitlist: Nova Southeastern University (Good chance I will be accepted)

Accepted: Lincoln Memorial University

That's odd, what 6 schools did you apply too and did you apply super late?  Hope you get into Nova...or enjoy all that harrogate tenessee has to offer... 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really glad that people are posting their stats in this thread. The U.S. system can be such a black box and I think even just this basic stuff helps when people are developing their lists of schools or assessing their competitiveness

cGPA: 3.95

sGPA: 3.90

aoGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 31 (10/10/11)

Applied: Brown, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Yale, UPenn, Hopkins, Stanford, Mount Sinai, Northwestern, NYU, WashU in St. Louis, Howard, SLU, Penn State, New York Medical College, Rosalind Franklin, Jefferson, Tulane, Wayne State, Boston, Einstein

Interviewed: NYU, NYMC, WashU, Jefferson; Wayne State (Declined), Penn State (Declined)

Accepted: NYU, NYMX, Jefferson

Waitlisted: WashU

That's odd, what 6 schools did you apply too and did you apply super late?  Hope you get into Nova...or enjoy all that harrogate tenessee has to offer... 

Mix of everything...1) I applied late 2) Family issues/conflict 3) I applied to many schools not accepting Canadians 4) I've lived in the city all of my life and decided to go out in live in an area that is rural so that I could have a different perspective/experience 

Mix of everything...1) I applied late 2) Family issues/conflict 3) I applied to many schools not accepting Canadians 4) I've lived in the city all of my life and decided to go out in live in an area that is rural so that I could have a different perspective/experience 

That's too bad, well it could be worse - you could not be accepted at all :) Good luck and glad to see you're making the best of it!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I am so sorry to deviate from the original convo, but i am heading into my first year of uni, and am in life sci at UOFT. My question is with regards to whether there are US med schools that require you or accept you without a course in eng or phy. Because i really dont wanna take those. I am keeping going to a us med school as a back up pln...what should i pay attention particularly to when choosing courses?

• 1 year later...

Thought it would be nice to revive this thread:

Ontario resident, honours degree in Physiology from Western in 2015. Have been working for the last 1.5 years as a consulting analyst at an IT research and advisory firm in Toronto. Canadian citizenship. 

Submitted primary July 18th (verified August 11th)

Submitted secondaries from August through November.

cGPA: 3.93

aoGPA: 4.00

sGPA: 3.89

MCAT 2013: 12 PS/ 10 VR/ 12 BS

Applied to: Cornell, Boston, Columbia, UPitt, Pennsylvania, UConn, Duke, SUNY Upstate, Case Western Reserve, Michigan, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson, Emory, Vanderbilt

Accepted at: TBD?? (currently have interviews at SUNY Upstate and Case Western Reserve)
Rejected (pre-interview): Boston, UPitt, Michigan, Vanderbilt. Still have yet to hear from the rest

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Columbia as my first choice.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving this thread! Hope this helps someone :)

Cycle: 2019-2020

cGPA: 3.99

sGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 517 (130/125/130/132); rip my cars LOL

Applied: (all MD schools)

WVU, SKMC, Saint Louis, Georgetown, NYMC, GW, WashU in St Louis, Stony Brook, UCLA, Yale, JHU, Penn, Tufts, Columbia, Case, Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, Tulane, MCW, UChicago, Northwestern, Pitt, Wayne State, Mt Sinai, Vanderbilt, UVA, Boston, Duke, VCU, Cornell, Penn State, SUNY Upstate, Mayo Clinic, Colorado, Stanford, Maryland, JABSOM

Interviewed: Duke, Mayo, Cornell, MCW, SKMC (declined), Stony Brook (declined), Wayne State (declined), VCU (declined), Maryland (declined), JABSOM (declined)

Waitlisted: Duke, Mayo

Accepted: Cornell, MCW

Feel free to message me if you have any q's; happy to help in any way that i can :) 

2 hours ago, tarotea7 said:

Reviving this thread! Hope this helps someone :)

WVU, SKMC, Saint Louis, Georgetown, NYMC, GW, WashU in St Louis, Stony Brook, UCLA, Yale, JHU, Penn, Tufts, Columbia, Case, Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, Tulane, MCW, UChicago, Northwestern, Pitt, Wayne State, Mt Sinai, Vanderbilt, UVA, Boston, Duke, VCU, Cornell, Penn State, SUNY Upstate, Mayo Clinic, Colorado, Stanford, Maryland, JABSOM

Interviewed: Duke, Mayo, Cornell, MCW, SKMC (declined), Stony Brook (declined), Wayne State (declined), VCU (declined), Maryland (declined), JABSOM (declined)

Accepted: Cornell (!!!), MCW

Still waiting on my WL'ed schools, but planning to attend Cornell!

Feel free to message me if you have any q's; happy to help in any way that i can :) 

Congratulations!!! Was this your OMSAS gpa or AMCAS gpa?

Edit: Aaah wait. You did your undergrad in the US.

24 minutes ago, FeastForCrows said:

Congratulations!!! Was this your OMSAS gpa or AMCAS gpa?

Edit: Aaah wait. You did your undergrad in the US.

yes, i did my undergrad in the US, so this was my AMCAS gpa!

i think when my grades were converted to the OMSAS scale, my gpa went down (~3.93) b/c canadian schools consider an A to be 3.90 i believe?, whereas in the states, A+ = A = 4.0

18 hours ago, tarotea7 said:

Reviving this thread! Hope this helps someone :) (i did my undergrad at a T10 US school but i'm a Canadian citizen)

Accepted: Cornell (!!!), MCW

Still waiting on my WL'ed schools, but planning to attend Cornell!

how were your EC's?