Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

wow nobody reads my etiquette threads! i will delete this in a day or two but here it is AGAIN.

PLEASE DO NOT post non-thread related things in the sticky threads (ie. replies to a previoius post and if you have a question, please start a new thread). this thread is strictly for posting application results. if any moderator reads this, can u please delete the posts...thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Applied to a whole bunch of American and Canadian schools...

MCAT: BS12 PS12 VR10 WSO

GPA: 3.9ish

Interviews at:

Albany Medical College (declined it)

Wayne State

SUNY Upstate

NYMC (declined it)

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Accepted:

Wayne State

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Waitlisted at SUNY Upstate

I will likely be heading to AECOM. Any other Canadians goin there?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a BC resident in undergraduate studies, and have Canadian citizenship. My GPA was 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 13

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: Q

This is my first time applying American schools (and Canadian schools, but I'm assuming that this is an American-only thread).

Accepted at: Wash U, HMS

Rejected at: Duke (post-interview), UPenn (pre-interview)

Of all the American schools I applied to, I'd like to attend HMS as my first choice. Add in Canadian ones and you got Toronto (interviewed) and McGill (accepted). One doesn't realize how great the Canadian schools are until one visits the American ones. I'd say only under half a dozen of American schools are worth ditching Toronto for.

• 1 month later...

Ontario resident, GPA 3.93 (4.00)

applied to 15 US schools and some canadian scho0ls

MCAT

10/10/14/R

lots of ECs

5 languages

interivewed at Upstate and UVM

Rejected

13 US schools (all that money!!!)

Accepted

UVM

Waitlist

Upstate - "high priority alterntive list"

Mcgill

Dalhousie (low teens on the waitlist)

Pending (15/5)

Calgary

Queens

UWO

I have been accepted at Michigan State University. This is one of the happiest moments in my life. My message is to ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS...and NEVER GIVE UP TRYING TO ACHIEVE THEM!

STATS:

gpa 3.9

mcat 29Q (11 verbal)

significant medical volunteer involvements (locally and internationally)

national and varsity level sports

• 3 weeks later...
I have been accepted at Michigan State University. This is one of the happiest moments in my life. My message is to ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS...and NEVER GIVE UP TRYING TO ACHIEVE THEM!

STATS:

gpa 3.9

mcat 29Q (11 verbal)

I love it when people go "WAY YAY!!! BELEEVE IN UR DREAMZ!!!" with a 3.9, as if they were doomed from the start....

I certainly would still believe in my dreams if I had your GPA. No offense, but ...:rolleyes:

But hey, congrats! :D

• 4 months later...
I love it when people go "WAY YAY!!! BELEEVE IN UR DREAMZ!!!" with a 3.9, as if they were doomed from the start....

I certainly would still believe in my dreams if I had your GPA. No offense, but ...:rolleyes:

But hey, congrats! :D

with a 29 MCAT as a canadian applying in the US, nothing is for sure...

A 3.9 GPA will only get you so far.

Good Work!

STATS:

gpa 3.9

mcat 29Q (11 verbal)

Which university you are from?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I returned to this forum to reflect back on the day that I was finally accepted at MSU. I chuckled as I read the comment from the person who thought that I was a shoe in with a 3.9. Here is a little more detail for those of you who want to remain optimists such as myself! I applied to Canadian med schools 3 times with no love. I wrote the MCAT 3 times and struggled through each question. I brought my verbal from a 6 to an 11 in one sitting. I not only took Princeton but Kaplan prep as well. I spent well over $5000 dollars doing prep courses, sending applications, writing MCATs, and mailing millions of things to MANY schools. I wrote countless essay's, requests for letters of reference, and even sent additional updates to schools I was wait listed at. I spend 1000's of hours volunteering and even 1000's more studying for my 3.9 gpa. Anything is possible if you truly want it. Just get off your lazy bum, and put some effort into it. You are the only person responsible for your actions. Good luck to all those working hard to achieve their dreams!

I returned to this forum to reflect back on the day that I was finally accepted at MSU. I chuckled as I read the comment from the person who thought that I was a shoe in with a 3.9. Here is a little more detail for those of you who want to remain optimists such as myself! I applied to Canadian med schools 3 times with no love. I wrote the MCAT 3 times and struggled through each question. I brought my verbal from a 6 to an 11 in one sitting. I not only took Princeton but Kaplan prep as well. I spent well over $5000 dollars doing prep courses, sending applications, writing MCATs, and mailing millions of things to MANY schools. I wrote countless essay's, requests for letters of reference, and even sent additional updates to schools I was wait listed at. I spend 1000's of hours volunteering and even 1000's more studying for my 3.9 gpa. Anything is possible if you truly want it. Just get off your lazy bum, and put some effort into it. You are the only person responsible for your actions. Good luck to all those working hard to achieve their dreams!

Thanks Jazzy. Where did you do your undergrad from?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a question for those applying to American schools but did their undergrad in Canada. How do you manage to get reference letters from the faculty? Is it through research, you worked for a prof who was the chair or held some other position?

I hear from people that you need specific profs who taught you a course to also write you a ref letter. Is that true?

• 4 weeks later...
What does a waitlist mean in America? When would you find out your status? Next summer?

He is not on a waitlist, he is on hold. so he will be re-reviewed after everyone has been interviewed. If he is still on hold after march, he will be put on an alternate list which will be used to fill the class. The alternate list is the wait list. Half the people on the Hold list that were not offered an acceptance will be on the alternate list.

Supposedly, a lot of people are accepted off the hold list. If you look at sdn, all those people who were accepted were also interviewing at the top 10 schools. Not all, will accept.

***** Post-Interview 2008-2009 *****

Accepted

VCU: Classic (I: 9/16, A: 10/15)

Rejected

Waitlisted

Case Western: schnauzr (I:9/15, WL:10/15)

Tulane: THX (I:9/30, WL: 10/16)

Wow. This is crazy news .... Accepted to VCU after I totally wrote them off. I thought that my interview did not go well at all - it felt like my interviewer hated me and just tore my application apart for an hour.