Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

You did not really expect to get in to Harvard with a 3.4, did you? Why did you even bother to apply?

To me the fact that he was wait-listed at Mt. Sinai suggests Harvard was a possibility. Top schools really like research 'cause it means you might show off the school name if you become a big shot.

To me the fact that he was wait-listed at Mt. Sinai suggests Harvard was a possibility. Top schools really like research 'cause it means you might show off the school name if you become a big shot.

Possibility yes, but very low probability. Unless he found the cure for cancer or something that I am not aware of :)

Possibility yes, but very low probability. Unless he found the cure for cancer or something that I am not aware of :)

GITG: Harvard is a school that is not just all about numbers. Harvard, and many other top schools, really want unique applicants that have something to offer more than just "smarts".

In addition, Mount Sinai has one of the highest admissions averages: 3.79 GPA and 11.9 MCAT.. so the fact that they are still considering me, I think, speaks to the above as well.

Not everything is a numbers game... The only thing I would do differently next time (if I have to reapply), is to apply earlier and to see if I can get more clinical experiences.

You did not really expect to get in to Harvard with a 3.4, did you? Why did you even bother to apply?

I would much rather have tried than given up on a dream just because I didn't think I had good enough scores.

and just as an aside: considering that for the US you have to do a primary application first, applying to a "reach" school isn't that much more work... Harvard's secondary is also pretty straightforward and to the point.

I would much rather have tried than given up on a dream just because I didn't think I had good enough scores.

and just as an aside: considering that for the US you have to do a primary application first, applying to a "reach" school isn't that much more work... Harvard's secondary is also pretty straightforward and to the point.

Applying to all these top schools requires a lot of courage. I hope you achieve your dream man. Good luck!

Applying to all these top schools requires a lot of courage. I hope you achieve your dream man. Good luck!

Thanks man. It's been a rough journey because the last few months of a phd is incredibly taxing. But I did my best given the circumstances so I guess the rest is now up to fate :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
GPA: 3.7

SGPA:3.9

MCAT: 33

IP

classmate of mine was rejected pre interview everywhere in Ontario (IP). He received interviews at Stanford, Yale, Harvard, BU, and Northwestern.

Accepted at three and deciding as we speak. So there is hope!

Wow that's crazy (re: your friend). Do have an idea of why that happened?

yup... his mcat was just below the cutoff for most ontario schools, but his overall application was very strong. Although the American schools certainly have their own cutoffs, many apply a more wholistic approach to looking at an applicant.

not really sure, but I know it was good enough to get an interview at Yale and Harvard!

What about Ottawa? And U of T only needs a 9 in each section. His score must have been quite unbalanced, otherwise his score would be way too low, especially as an international student.

I don't know exact figures, but again, his marks and gpa were good enough for many top tier american schools. From what I understand about Ottawa, you have to have an extremely high gpa in order to be considered. And I had a 33 mcat and wasn't considered for an interview at U of T so who really knows... it is a game of odds to some degree, and I know that many wonderful candidates don't get in every year. That's why I am just grateful to be able to be matriculating. I recognize that its part hard work, part ability and a whole bunch of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Applying this year with a 37 (12/11/14) and 4.00 GPA. Canadian citizen, but going to top 20 US for undergrad. Applied broadly, just in case. Good luck to everyone!

EDIT after 7 months

Interviewed at U. Chicago (Pritzker), Harvard, Yale, Wash. U, Cornell, Emory, Case Western, Vanderbilt, Duke, U. Virginia, U. Pitt, Northwestern.

Accepted at Cornell, Northwestern, Emory, Case Western, U. Virginia so far. Waiting to hear back from most. Fingers crossed.

• 11 months later...