Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Madz25

I'm a New Brunswick resident with an HBSc in Cell and Molecular Biology. My AGPA was 4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: R

I was waitlisted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school. They wont tell me my position on the OOP waitlist!! >:

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dalhousie as my first choice, although Manitoba is a close 2nd!

I'm currently in the Toronto area for other OOPs waiting.

ETA: I just got a call from Beth and I'm INNN!!!

ETA: I just got accepted to Dal! I'll be declining my spot so good luck to the next OOPer!

Madz

Guest Kooman

I'm a Toronto Resident. Graduated last year with BSCH in chemistry and math from Queen's. My AGPA is 4.1 and mcat average is 10.75.

Accepted: UT, UWO

Accepted off the Waitlist: Manitoba

Waitlisted: UBC

I had the crappiest interview at Manitoba and thought I would be outright rejected. So I'm guessing I will probably be at the bottom, if not last on the waiting list.

I have already accepted my offer at UT and will be declining my OOP spot at Manitoba. G'luck y'all.

Guest sukhbinder

Hey Guys,

I'm from Kingston Ontario. I received my OOP waitlist letter today from U of M.

I was accepted at U of A and UBC, and I will most likely be attending UBC in the fall. In case anyone is anxious about their OOP waiting list spot, I am pulling my name off the list today.

Best of luck to everyone,

Sukhbinder

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I'm an Alberta resident, GPA 4.0/4.5, MCAT 12,12,12,S.

I was accepted by UofA, and UofC (off the waitlist)

I was rejected by UBC

Waitlisted at UofM as an OOP.

(rejected pre-interview at 4 Ontario schools).

I have accepted the Calgary offer and will be taking my name off the waitlist, so there's a better chance for someone, depending how far down I was! Good luck. :)

Guest Hurts44

Hey Guys!!

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies at Brandon University. My GPA was 4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Written Sample: N (and yes, english is my first and only language)

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

I only applied to U of M, so of course of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of M Med School as my first choice.

Date and Time of acceptance letter received: I checked my email on Tuesday at 3:45 in the middle of a meeting at work, and had to sit through the last hour of it without saying anything!!!

Guest silverjelly86

Yeah, I must have really f-ed the interview up, too, with a 10.5 MCAT (although I know it could be better) and a 4.35 AGPA. I would really like to hear what Beth has to say in my feedback telephone appointment next week.

ETA: VS12, I definitely feel your pain, but at least you can have some (a little?) comfort in being waitlisted rather than simply rejected. Geez, how could I have possibly screwed up the interview that badly?

Guest Madz25

hey everyone,

thought i'd update - i just got a call from beth and im in!!! im OOP...good luck to everyone else on the waitlist! :rollin

many thanks to shet and lurker for giving up their waitlist spots!

madz

Guest kacgal

MCAT 10.5

AGPA ??? not sure as 2 undergrad degrees

currently MSc student w 1 publication (2 scholarships they don't know about as received AFTER interview)

EC: ER volunteer 5 yrs, youth grp leader 6 yrs etc

Jobs: TA, summer researcher, etc

Letter last monday: Waitlisted ...top 10/30 IP

chance of acceptance: high probability

thoughts: dying with anticipation

Guest hochunk

letter last week: we have an "administrative issue" that needs to be addressed, we will mail you an admission decision next week. (i was very surprised by this letter!)

letter today: congrats! you're in!

MCAT: 33R

PS: 10 VR: 11 BS: 12 WS: R

B.Sc.(Major) in Biochem & B.A. in Philosophy

AGPA: ~4.1

I am IP, this is my second time applying (waitlisted bottom third last year). I have only applied to U of M.

I will definitely accept.

Guest Kooman

I just got an email from Beth telling me that I am accepted off the OOP waitlist. I will be declining my spot. G'luck to everyone else that are still waiting.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Got an OOP offer this morning, since I've been too lazy to remove my name... I declined, so it should be passed on down the list. Good luck!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kacgal

Well, its official. The waitlist is still moving following the deferral meeting tues. I received my acceptance letter today. Good luck to those still waiting.

K

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BeYourself

Just wanted to give some hope to any IP waitlistees out there! I was accepted today! :)

I was initially waitlisted by Manitoba (Middle third/30-don't know where in middle third). This is my first time applying to this school.

I'm a Manitoba resident in graduate studies. I graduated from U of W with a B.Sc. (Hons). My AGPA was 4.18 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 8

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: Q

MSc student @ McGill (got to hurry up and finish my thesis now!); 1 publication from honours research.

Lots of different ECs: volunteer at community health clinic, international healthcare volunteer experience, led workshops for children on sun safety, small group discussion leader for 2nd year med students at McGill.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Manitoba as my first choice.

Date and Time of acceptance letter received: July 25 @ noon

Still hasn't sunk in yet! Good luck to all those still waiting, and looking forward to meeting everyone on August 21st!

Guest sspnp

Well, the OOP waiting list is still moving. I got a call from Beth on Monday afternoon telling me I've been offered a position and I'm most definitely taking it.

I'm an Ontario resident who just completed my Honours in biology at Queen's University. My GPA was 4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: ®

Can't wait to meet ya'll next month!

HOLY SH*T!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE. I'm shaking right now, that's how happy I am. I'm having trouble even writing this! WOW.

Anyway...

Im an IP Manitoba resident with a (now) 3 year B.Sc. My aGPA was a superb 3.8, with a (not so terrific) MCAT score of 28Q (8 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS)

I was ACCEPTED by Manitoba, off of the waitlist! This is my first time applying here, or anywhere, so obviously, this is my one and only choice.

Date and time received: July 28, 2006 at 9:30ish!

As an aside:

I was accepted off of the middle of the IP waitlist. I was originally put in the bottom third of the waitlist, but after receiving my feedback back from the Admissions people, I found that they had not used my up to date GPA! Even though the aGPA changed by something like .1 or whatever, it still allowed me to move from the bottom third, to the middle third. So obviously, the difference between someone in those positions is very very small.

I'd also like to add to whoever is reading this and is down on themselves or lacks confidence... if I can get in... anyone can. I'm not even close to being the smartest person, but I sure worked hard!

And lastly, I'd like to give some props to the people on this board. I'd like to be half as helpful as Jag and Fever Meds has been. Oh, and Fever Meds is awesome for having reviewed my autobiographical sketch. And I am indebted to Susan Batten from the class of 2009 for helping me with the interviews, cause I definitely didn;t get in on the basis of my scores.

;)

• 9 months later...

Last post was a long time ago but I assume this is where I'm supposed to post my stats? I got my letter early this morning.

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies. My AGPA was ~3.9-4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 10

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Manitoba as my first choice.

It's also the only school I've applied to.

Manitoba resident : undergraduate majors in bio and religious studies.

AGPA ~ 3.9

MCAT 11's all around and S on the WS.

Accepted...just got my letter in the mail.

Interview was okay...didn't really have a good vibe at the end of it.

Lots of EC's ranging from speaking at schools to kids about challenges and choices to social research, St. B, tutoring, etc.

Best of luck to everyone.

Just got an e-mail... figured i'd contribute to this sticky.

MCAT: 11.75 (34S)

AGPA: 4.3ish

EC's: research, teaching, volunteering

I should mention also:

Interview Impressions: Pretty good, although they always asked "what else can you think of?"... made me a little nervous. Also they asked me nothing about my research or the fact that i'm in grad school, or why i want to switch into med. Also a little unnerving. I definately hit some answers bang on and some i sidestepped a bit. Overall impression right after was pretty good, however.

I only applied to UM, first time applying, i have a 4-year honours biochem degree and am in grad school in the area of photomagnetism (chemistry).

I'm a Manitoba resident in 3-year general science studies. My aGPA was 4.22 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: O

This was the only school I applied to, so the University of Manitoba is my first and only choice.

Interview: Good

ECs: Fairly good.

Update: Received a letter offering an entrance scholarship of $5000.

For those of you still waiting for your acceptance letter, I just received mine today!! I'm so relieved and have to admit that I was a little down when my mailbox was empty yesterday.

I'm IP with a AGPA around 4.1. I scored 32S on my MCAT with the following breakdown:

PS: 11

VR: 9

BS: 12

My ECs were not bad (Humane Society and a personal care home), but not stellar.

Interview seemed good at first, but then I started picking it apart and felt terrible about it for the last 2 months.

I only applied to UofM, so obviously it is my first and only choice.

I'm so relieved this process is over! Good luck to all those still waiting!