Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all, congrats to everyone. Hopefully those on the waitlist don't have to wait too long.

I was accepted at Manitoba and Queens, I will be attending Manitoba

agpa 4.09

mcat 11.25

first author publication, bunch of ECs, lots of travel, tons of research

good luck everyone! see you all in the fall!

Found out that I'm getting a letter 2nd round - which means I'm rejected b/c I've already completed my degree two years ago.

MCAT: 11.5

AGPA: 4.32

ECs: Standard stuff

Interview went bad - I knew it. Damn, my positive vibe thread didn't work :(

Edit: Received email today, June.4 at 6pm ET. Rejection confirmed, so for all those wondering if they WL everyone since the OOP interview pool is so small, don't worry, if you get WLed it's a good thing, b/c those at the very bottom such as myself get rejected. FCK MY LIFE.

I'm shaking as I'm typing this...

ACCEPTED!!!! :) :)

3 year B.Sc. in Biochemistry/Biology

MCAT: 31Q - 12 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS / Q

AGPA: 4.34

EC's: 1) Hospital volunteer - ER, ICU, Pre-Op, Dialysis, Children's Hospital

2) Adult education tutor at Job Works

3) Program coach for the Special Olympics

4) Participant in the Rural MB Medical Mentorship

5) Sports: Tennis, badminton, basketball

6) Clinical lab tech at Hill Top Research

Oh yeah, and I'm of course IP. I thought my interview went OK, not spectacular.

I can't believe it yet. I thought I was waiting for the June letters when I got nothing in the mail yesterday. I guess all you need is persistence. I am so lucky that I got in another MCAT before applying this year or else I would be applying with another low MCAT. YAHHHHHH!!!!

OOP waitlist here.

MCAT - 38Q (12.25)

GPA - 4.0ish/4.5

ECs - nothing too special, coaching, student gov., travelling, etc.

Edit:

Offered a spot off the OOP waitlist on July 14/08. Was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting anything to come this late, but either way, I will be declining as I've already accepted an offer from another school.

According to last year's waitlisted letter, "Typically, 13-18 applicants are admitted from the waitlist. In the past 5 years (I guess 2001-2006), this has varied from 10 to 22 positions.". So under the 1st third, 2nd third and bottom half system (1/3 + 1/3 + 1/2 = 1?), you are best off not being in the bottom half.

"1st third of waitlist High probability of being offered a position.

2nd third of waitlist Very unpredictable as to whether a position will be available.

Bottom half of waitlist Low probability of being offered a position .

We will not provide additional information about your ranking on the waitlist."

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd contribute to this thread cos it's helped me out a lot. So, here are my stats for those who like to analyze :)

OOP

AGPA: 4.12

MCAT: 11.5

Interview: it went okay I guess, certainly not the best

Extra currics: nothing special: piano, TKD, newsletter editor, volunteer at hospital

oh yeah.. first time applicant, Manitoba was my first (um.. and only) choice.

So.. I'm hitting the books for another MCAT sitting. Hopefully I'll reapply with stronger stats and a better application.

oh.. btw.. I'm pretty pleased that Manitoba offers feedback (via email.. as in you email them questions, i think) so hopefully I'll know where to improve next time.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting.

Waitlisted Bottom 3rd

Mcat: 10 (30p)

AGPA: 3.95

EC: Lots of stuff. Volunteer at hospital and St John Ambulance. TKD, Guitar, Voice Lessons, Choir etc.

Interview went better than I thought it would. There was definitively a couple stations that weren't so good and one that I just bombed on.

I plan on writing the MCAT again this year in sept and hopefully improve my score a bit. Probably go back to school and finnish my 4 year and hopefully do some travelling.

Rejected 3rd Quartile

MCAT: 10.75 31R

AGPA: ~4

EC's: Worked as a nurse's aid for a couple years, various volunteering and qualifications (Beth said quite ample).

Interview: Thought it went well :rolleyes: .

My 2nd rejection, but I have improved. I'm certainly going to try again.

-Tyler

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say I wasn't surprised, seeing as my MMI wasn't stellar. The rejection email (I'm out of country) smarted quite a bit, but I really want this, so its definitely on to another year of applying. Nothing to do other than go back and improve my PAS and rethink/practice my MMI answering. =)

OOP

MCAT: 35P

aGPA: not sure, didn't calc. but pretty close to cutoff I'd think

Extracurriculars: research in genetics (juvenile onset parkinsons), orthopedic surgery clinical research, hospital volunteering, YWCA Vancouver eastside, Cultural society group youth coordinator, TKD, Vancouver children's festival, shadowing orthopedic surgeon, certificate 3D animation, triathlon team, premed club etc. similar to most others here

Good luck to all those who got in this year!

• 10 months later...

This thread the right one for 2009 admissions as well? If so....

Just got my acceptance, still waiting on a couple other responses to find out where I'll end up going.

OOP

AGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 37T

EC's: tutored human genetics, worked/volunteered with calgary health region, various musical endeavors