Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

So I'm a MB resident (non-rural) with a B.Sc in Microbiology and a 3-year B.A.

AGPA: 4.3

MCAT: 32R (VR-10, PS-11, BS-11)

I'm heavily involved in volunteering with human rights and social justice groups. Also, I've been involved in research the past 2.5 years. Both of these came up a number of times in my interview.

This is my second year applying. I was in the second part of the waitlist last year. I have only applied to the University of Manitoba for medical school (other universities for grad school). I will most likely be accepting.

Accepted!

GPA: ~3.75

MCAT: 14P/10V/12B/S

ECs: international volunteer trip, lots of clubs/exec, volunteering, sports, religious activities, research job, teaching job

Interview: felt good

Interviewed: Toronto, Queens, Alberta, Manitoba

Accepted: Queens, Alberta, Manitoba

Waitlisted: Toronto

declined Manitoba...

gl to everyone on the waitlist!

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted

IP, rural (years ago). 5th time (4th time interviewing - Tyler, I'm sure we'll be good friends)

MCAT: 10.9

AGPA: 3.76ish

EC: TA'd multiple fields, ER, Meals on Wheels, grocery shopped for a senior, Sandbagged last year, different jobs including Pharma.

Interview: No stress. I had a position lined up in the US already.

I will be taking this position.

I am very happy as I post this. I hope you all get a chance to read 'offer of admission' on an email subject line from some school. It is a really nice thing.

Anyway, these posts helped me gauge my chances, so I will do my part...

I am OOP, first time applicant to Manitoba, 2nd time applying generally.

AGPA 4.24

MCAT V11Q P13 B12

I will be accepting this offer.

Accepted

IP, not rural

MCAT 32P

AGPA ~4.3

EC's: sports, coaching, hospital, clinic, etc...

4th time applicant (looks like I'm not alone:)), but 1st time I didn't prepare for the interview and it felt great!

Don't give up Winnipegguy! Just find something else to do in the meantime and you'll get in eventually. Best of luck next year!

Rejected

First time applying, Ip, not rural.

AGPA: somewhere around 4, don't really know but not as good as HS

MCAT: felt good, little stress

Interview: felt good coming out, but less so after time had passed

EC: on the low side

I will be applying again next year.

Rejected

IP (4th time applying), but I had to fight for it because I didn't go to high school here but I've lived and worked here for the last 6 years. However, I went travelling for a bit so they might have decided to consider me an OP.

Applied: Manitoba, Queens, UBC

Interviewed: Manitoba, UBC

Accepted: UBC

Mcat: 10 BS, 9 VR, 10 PS Q WS

Agpa: around 3.8ish

EC: full time crisis worker, taught a course at the downtown Aboriginal campus, resident advisor for 2 years, international internship, self travel around the world, fundraisers, participant in community basketball league, part time job as community mentor in North End, shadowing program, mentor to youth from a northern reserve, volunteering experiences over last 9 years: Big Brothers, CMHA, St. Amant.

Interview: thought it went great

I think MCAT killed me.

Congrats to all those who got in to Manitoba :) . I really wished to stay (I love Winnipeg) but I have to move for UBC med.

Accepted on may 14

1st time applicant

agpa ~3.9

mcat VR: 11 BS: 10 PS: 8 WS: P

in province

is that all I should include?

otherwise, some research (no publications), student grps, hospital volunteering, part-time work, etc.

Interview felt really good coming out except for one station which I stuttered my way through, lol.

Felt even better getting an acceptance. I'm very relieved.

Congrats to all others who got in!

For those who didn't- chin up! If this is something you are passionate about, don't give up!

Accepted

IP, "Rural"

MCAT 10.9

AGPA ~4.0

EC Church youth groups and summer camps

3rd application cycle/interview

I guess I neglected to post about my interview. I prepared a bit more this time by taking part in mock interviews and reading up on the Canadian health care system before. For the actual interview, I felt like I did great on some stations and absolutely terrible for others. I had one station where the interviewer basically talked the whole time trying to explain what they thought the question meant, and I had another station where I had to go to the bathroom right before so I had to just walk in there without reading the question first. I guess I did really well on some of the other stations or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first time poster...I'm very happy to state that I have been accepted to UofM.

OOP, Ontario, UofT

AGPA: 4.04

MCAT: 12.6

Masters of Pharmacology, typical ECs

I will be accepting this offer, good luck to all other candidates, and I look forward to meeting my fellow classmates in August!!!

Oops, almost forgot about posting this :o.

Accepted, 4th year OOP (BC).

aGPA: ~4.1

MCAT: 12BS/11VR/13PS/S

Fairly average ECs.

Felt confident during the interview. I had the UBC MMI a month earlier, so it helped being familiar with the format of the interview. Did not use the notepad to take notes at all, as I felt that they would actually hinder me instead of help during the stations. Struggled a bit with the writing section (10 minutes is far too limiting to write a decent composition, in my opinion).

I have declined this offer in favour of a position at UBC. Good luck to those still waiting!

• 10 months later...

I'm a IP not rural resident with a B.Sc (Hons.) in microbiology. My AGPA was 4.41 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: R

(Works out to 11.1)

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

I only applied to Manitoba, I will be accepting the offer.

See you guys and girls August 23rd, and good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Just got the email time stamp 1:27pm Eastern Time (10:27 for me in BC)

Accepted OOP

MCAT 14/12/13/P (12.1)

aGPA ~ 3.9/4.5

This is my third year applying to med school, first year to Manitoba.

Interview felt very comfortable :)

Applied: Manitoba (OOP), UBC (IP), UofC (OOP), Dal (OOP)

Interviewed: Manitoba, Dal

Waitlisted: Dal

Accepted: Manitoba

Good luck to everyone!

IP, not rural (but have rural volunteering/work)

Aboriginal category

I'm not sure what my stats are at this point (I tried to ignore them knowing it wouldn't help to focus on them) and I don't remember my MCAT mark right now....

but yay!

I will be accepting this offer