Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

On 6/5/2018 at 3:39 PM, bubbletea1002 said:

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Waitlisted (2nd tier)

In Province (IP)/ Out of Province (OOP): IP

AGPA (x.xx/4.5): close to 4.5 

MCAT (xx.xx/528): 516

Rural/Non-Rural:  Non-rural

Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): 0

First time applying, guess my interview must have pulled me down since I thought my MCAT and AGPA were pretty good. If I don't get in this year, would anyone recommend trying to boost my MCAT or just focusing more on the interview? 

On 6/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, drang said:

It sounds like your MCAT and grades are incredible! I would suggest just focus on the interview. That must have been where you were lacking. I have known several people who, after practicing their interview skills more, got in the next year. Good luck!!

Definitely interview. I got rejected last year, got interviewed again this year and accepted off the first wait list offers (first round in ontario after initial offer). Practice well, often, and with many people is the best advice I can give. And always try to stay calm, and structure your answers so it's easy to understand. Good luck :). Also, congrats Drang!

7 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Definitely interview. I got rejected last year, got interviewed again this year and accepted off the first wait list offers (first round in ontario after initial offer). Practice well, often, and with many people is the best advice I can give. And always try to stay calm, and structure your answers so it's easy to understand. Good luck :). Also, congrats Drang!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take it into consideration if I don't get in this year (still on the waitlist). After taking some time to reflect on my interview and what I did to prepare for it, I feel like I wasn't practicing with enough people or often enough (cause I was mainly practicing with my group of non-med friends and one other applicant who was also interviewing at Manitoba). Btw, congrats on getting in this year! 

1 hour ago, bubbletea1002 said:

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely take it into consideration if I don't get in this year (still on the waitlist). After taking some time to reflect on my interview and what I did to prepare for it, I feel like I wasn't practicing with enough people or often enough (cause I was mainly practicing with my group of non-med friends and one other applicant who was also interviewing at Manitoba). Btw, congrats on getting in this year! 

Thanks! Yeah I found practice with medical students was way more productive and informative. So if you’re aiming for Manitoba trying to get a few of them would be good!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! This is a bit late since classes are starting in a few days but I found out four weeks ago that I got accepted off the IP waitlist!!! Only just got around to posting this now since I've been crazy busy ever since I got my admission offer (I've never had to fill out so much paperwork haha). Not sure if anyone else has been accepted off the waitlist since then but maybe there's still a tiny glimmer of hope for those of you still on the waitlist (even though it's really cutting it close now). Anyways, I can't wait to meet everyone in a few days! :lol: 

• 8 months later...

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted ^_^

AGPA (x.xx/4.5): 4.3

MCAT (xx.xx/528): 516

Rural/Non-Rural:  Non-rural

Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): 0

Got in after my second try. My interview was my weak point and I focused heavily on that this year. Got coaching (started in September, which is earlier than I intended but was actually a very good thing for me) as well as practiced with a prep group. If the interview is your weakness, I highly recommend you start prepping early, go from weekly sessions and move your way up to multiple sessions a week as you get closer to the actual interview. Also, and I can't say this enough, but practice with real people as much as possible!!!

Congrats to everyone who got in this round, and best of luck to all those who will try again next year!

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Accepted

In Province (IP)/Out of Province (OOP): OOP

AGPA (x.xx/4.5): 4.38

MCAT (xx.xx/528): 518 (131/126/130/131)

Rural/Non-Rural: None

Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): 2 publications, but I think the cut-off for extra points is 5

Will be declining for another offer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Woke up to some unpleasant news today unfortunately.

Accepted/Waitlisted/Regrets: Refused

AGPA (x.xx/4.5): 3.62

MCAT (xx.xx/528): 508

Rural/Non-Rural: Some SES, no Rural

Advanced Academics (PhD, pubs, academic appointment): 0

First time applying, and was pretty sure it was my MMI that led to this decision. Nevertheless, congratulations to everyone who got an offer!