Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I got an offer of admission on May 15, 2012 @ around 1130 am.

IP, First-time applicant, Non-rural, No research

MCAT: 12B / 11P/ 10V / O

aGPA: 4.5

MMI: I thought it went horrible! I mean I felt really good after the whole thing but then a few days after, I kept thinking that I missed saying a lot of things! I had one station where the interviewer was just basically talking to me for about 5 mins and whenever I try to speak, he interrupts me with probing questions. So I thought I did horrible on that. I had 2 more other stations which I thought I bombed! Looking back, maybe I didn't do as horrible as I thought. I honestly did not expect to get an early admission offer! So for those other hopefuls checking this post for the next year(s), please don't be too hard on yourself. You know what they say, we are our own worst critics. I spent countless nights on negative self-talk and although it was a relief to have those thoughts invalidated when I got my letter, I could have just tried to stay as positive as I can and use my energy on doing productive things (such as studying for the finals) rather than trying to bring myself down.

Good luck to those who are still waiting for their offers! I can't wait to meet my future classmates!!! :)

Accepted May 15

IP, non rural, third time applying (reject, wait list)

MCAT 11 BS/ 9 PS/ 11 VR/ R WS

AGPA 4/4.5

MMI: I was in the second quintile last year, and this year felt very comfortable. There was one station in particular I feel I bombed, but I guess my nervous smile and desperate sweaty handshake won her over.

I felt I owed it to this thread considering how many times I have stealthily cruised the stats previously. Good luck to everyone!

Accepted May 15th!

IP, non-rural, no research, fourth time applying

MCAT 12 BS/ 14 PS/ 10 VR/ P WS

AGPA 4.22/4.5

MMI: I realized I hadn't a clue when getting my previous year's results for the MMI. I felt that I could rely upon my panel interviewing skills from job interviews, my strong interpersonal skills, and Doing Right.. however I was very mistaken!

The MMI really is a skillset that needs to be developed. I strongly urge any future applicants to practice using question banks that are available from past-applicants and to join prep groups organized by the SSA in Manitoba or by forming your own elsewhere.

With that said, after preparing as I have outlined, I felt very confident in this year's MMI. I look forward to getting feedback and will update this post with that information once I have it.

Congratulations to all those that have accepted, I look forward to meeting you come August!

Accepted on May 15th.

IP, no research, very little "rural", 4th attempt.

MCAT: 10 BS/11 PS/ 10 VR/ Q WS

AGAP: ~4.1

MMI: Apparently I improved. Was 4th quintile last year. Just practiced mock questions with friends. I find that really helps with your timing in the actual MMI.

I have accepted the offer.

Accepted on June 1

IP, 4 year HBSc, 2 Years UG Research w/ 1 Publication (although I don't think it counted before I submitted my application)

MCAT: 10 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS, Writing M (Not quite sure what went wrong!)

AGPA: 4.23/4.5

First time applying, will be accepting the offer

Accepted June 1!!

IP, not rural, AGPA 3.94

MCAT:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: Q

(32Q, 10.8 converted)

This was my second time applying.

Super excited! Congrats to everyone who got accepted and don't get discouraged if you didn't! Keep trying!!

Waitlisted 1st third. Timestamp 9:47am.

IP resident. Non-rural, no research. 3rd year science student.

GPA was 4.26/4.5

MCAT 30Q (10.1, 7VR, so it was a miracle when I got the interview offer with this VR)

First time applicant.

Although waitlisted, not really expecting the offer this year since it's the IP waitlist which does not really move...

Thought I bombed most of the MMI stations, but I guess it didn't go as bad. Had amazing study partners for the MMI prep.

Planning to re-write the MCAT this Aug and looking forward to next year! :)

Accepted, First time applying (~10:00 am)

IP, non-rural, no publications.

MCAT: 34Q (14 10 10)... 11.0 on manitoba scale.

aGPA: 4.15ish

MMI: Felt super good. I had practiced mock's with friends for about 3 months so there wasnt anything that unusual on the actual day. That being said, as time went on I ripped into myself about things i said, how I may have presented myself etc... But if I've learned anything, the first impression is usually right. Big thank you to the Med 1's for the mock interviews. I found those to be very helpful in calming some anxiety of what to expect in terms of procedure and interviewer differences. Cheers.

Waitlisted.

OOP, no rural, no research.

GPA either 4.0/4.5 or 4.2ish depending on how it's calculated.

MCAT 37Q (11.9)

First time applicant to Manitoba.

MMI: that's the only MMI this year that didn't get me a fail/horrible score, so I'm rather glad?

My last chance to stay in Canada for med :confused:

Any other OOP on the waitlist? The email says 13 people waitlisted, so I guess we're all in one pool?

Accepted on June 1

OOP (not rural)

AGPA - 4.3

MCAT - 11.7

MMI - This was easily the best interview of my application cycle. I felt great after most of the stations.

I have been waitlisted at three Canadian schools so it feels amazing to finally have an acceptance. I fell in love with UofM on my interview day, and will be accepting.

After being stuck in the waitlist hell at multiple schools, I understand how disheartening the experience is. Best of luck to anyone on the waitlist. I will be cheering for you guys. You'll all be amazing doctors one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Accepted! Timestamp 9:05am.

IP, second time applying (waitlisted 3rd tier last year)

Non-rural, 2 second-author publications.

MCAT: 34R (PS 12, VR 10, BS 12)

AGPA: 4.0

MMI: Second time around, so I felt much more comfortable. Had the chance to attend the M1 Mock in Feb. and practiced with a group of friends beginning in January.

Stoked!

Accepted here too, but will be declining in favour of U of T. U of Manitoba impressed me though! It was the most organized of all the interview days I attended.

OOP - first time applying (Ontario resident)

Non-rural, 2 pubs (1 first author)

MCAT: 39R (PS 13, VR 12, BS 14)

AGPA: 4.15

MMI: It was my first med school interview ever and first MMI but after the 1st or 2nd station my nervousness went away and I actually enjoyed chatting with the interviewers about the question topics.

Yeah! Accepted at 9:15 am!

IP, first time applying.

Not rural, no research.

MCAT: 11PS/10VR/13BS/R = 11.5

aGPA: 4.15

MMI: I practiced A LOT. With a group I found on this forum and with the M1s mock MMI. The day of the real thing I felt calm and like things had gone pretty well, but to be honest, as time went on I started to worry that I had bombed some stations.

OOP - from Ontario

Pubs: None

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/S

AGPA: ~4.5

MMI: Felt confident about 50-60% of stations, 2 stations were mediocre as I missed a key point until I was reminded about it by the interview and 1 station I thought I totally bombed as the interviewer was falling asleep even before I started my initial talk!

Accepted!!

OOP - Alberta

MCAT - 41Q (15 Bio, 15 Phys, 11 Verb)

GPA slightly less than 4.0 on Manitoba's Scale after they took out the worst classes. (2.3 GPA first year though)

One pub at application time, a couple more now

Master's Degree (finishing just before school starts)

Second time around interview. First time I was red flagged *twice*. Dont give up!

Wooo, Accepted! Very similar stats to winnipeg204.

IP, second time applying (waitlisted 3rd tier last year)

Very minor rural, No publications.

MCAT: 34P (PS 13, VR 9, BS 12)

AGPA: ~4.0

MMI: I felt confident I improved over my previous year's MMI where I was WL'd. Did a lot more practice (~15-20 hours total over the weekends leading up to MMI) and a mock MMI.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! And best of luck to those still waiting!