Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted!

4th and 5th year 3.78 and 3.88 GPA. Other years progressively worse.

10/10/11Q MCAT

Grad student applicant, finishing my MSc now.

EC's I think were ok. I nicely split between the 5 categories but no real "clinical" experience.

I felt really great about the interview. One MMI station was rough but I honestly think they were trying to make you squirm, maybe because I realized that I didn't reflect back poorly these past few months.

Only interview (I have SWOMEN but was eliminated based on the rule about upper year course requirements) so I immediately accepted queens!

You are never out of the running despite how poorly you start!

Accepted!

2 year GPA 3.89/ cGPA 3.84

10PS/11VR/11BS Q MCAT

4th year undergrad

ECs: 2 research positions (no publications), 1 long-term employment and involvement with a university club.

MMI part of the interview was hit and miss for me - some stations I thought went well and some were not as good, one was absolutely tragic. Panel went very well, helped me end my interview on a high note.

Also interviewed at Western and McMaster and received offers from both. Big decision to make!

CAN'T believe I get to make one of these!! I'll put detail into it because I spent a year reading other people's ones and over analyzing, it helped.

Offered admission

4th year first time applicant

OMSAS cGPA 3.63, last 2 years 3.8 something

MCAT 36 S - 11PS/11VR/14BS

EC: job shadowed cardiac surgeons during summer after 2nd and 3rd year, wrote small review article with Toronto general hospital, Volunteered 2? Years with women's centre at school, heart and stroke foundation 1 year, rhythmic gymnast for 15 years (provincial competitive for 8ish), university intramural flag football (2 teams) for 3 years/ 1 year (per team). Rhythmic gymnastics coach for a few years also

Thought interview went well at first, then discussed ethics a bit with my dad and felt totally shot down, eliminated it as a possible option, but I was (thankfully) wrong!

Please don't give up hope if your gpa isn't stellar or your interview felt sucky. We're often poor evaluators of ourselves. If you don't get in one year don't let it stop you. It's competitive, and a year of missing out doesn't mean you're not awesome, just that a lot of people are awesome like you!!

Going to be spending the summer helping my boyfriend with his mcat, he'll be a repeat applicant next year, and deserves a spot more than anyone I know!

Edit: I ate Cheerios for breakfast because I read last year someone did that and they heard good news. Perhaps Cheerios are lucky?

Waitlisted.

Honestly, it feels good to not be outright rejected. At least I know I don't suck at interviews. Still, an offer of admission would be ideal.

3.57 cGPA Grad student (MA complete)

11VR10BS10PS S-WS

Felt some parts of the interview went really well, but felt that for one station I missed a key point (hard to explain without going into detail). Panel went mostly well, except I did not adequately answer what I consider a very important question. I had a great answer for it, but I was so nervous I got sidetracked and did not realize 'til after the interview what I had said!

Accepted.

GPA - last two years 3.89

MSc and 2 BSc

EC: really strong - balance between work, volunteer and extra-curricular. 3 publications.

MCAT: 11-11-9-S (PS-VR-BS)

Interview - like most - 2 stations were a little bizarre but the panel was awesome. We pretty much laughed the entire time!

Accepted

Grad degree in-process (course-based)

Most recent 2 years: 3.88

MCAT: 33Q (PS-11/VR-11/BS-11)

ECs: Very good. Led a few clubs, some international volunteering, prolonged volunteering with certain organizations, lots of smaller things.

Interviewed at: UWO, Queens, Mac, U of T

Accepted at: ALL!!!

I will be turning down Queens for U of T

Accepted IP

Overall GPA: 81-83% (??)

MCAT: 33R (9PS/11VR/13BS)

ECs: research (with pub), int'l competed athlete, volunteer work, shadowing, uni groups, violin, other sports, etc

Interview: approached acting stn's by immersing myself into the role; panel felt fine, not forced

Waitlisted

GPA: 3.9?

MCAT: 13PS/10VR/14BS/Q

EC: Standard stuff, MSc, 3 pubs

Interview: Not an actor, but the MMI went OK. Panel went great, even though I was supposed to be in the second group and was the first person called.

Best of luck to everyone. Queen's had a great video and the new facilities looked very nice.

Accepted, 9:08am

4th year applicant, IP

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 14PS/12VR/14BS/S

EC: mix of long/short term, medical-related and personal interest. Do things you enjoy and some that give back and draw things from those activities.

Interview: MMI was pretty rough, never filled the entire time, somewhat awko-taco at times. Panel was a bit pressing but generally warm

Having a tough time choosing between TO and Queens, but it will likely be TO for personal reasons. best of luck to waitlisters

Accepted, ~10:35am Got a call from Rebecca and then email!

2nd Year Masters Student, IP

cGPA: 3.88, Last 2 years: 3.94

MCAT: 14PS/10VR/10BS/Q

EC: Started early. Tons of stuff in high school. Clinical research for 8 years off and on, was basically in charge of an RCT, executive positions on tons of athletic councils, academic tutoring, coaching, tons of intramurals, lots more other EC's

2 published abstracts, 2 presentations at conferences.

Excited to meet all of you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Europe last week, finally have time to post

Accepted.

M.A.Sc. graduate

First time applying to meds and first time interview

13 PS/ 10 VR/ 12 BS WS:Q

cGPA: 3.2

EC: Varsity athlete, several NSERCs, 6 pubs, summer intern at Stanford, field researcher in Mexico, Massey Fellow, just usually graduate student stuff

Best of luck everyone! Work hard but take time to smell the roses and embrace nature.

• 11 months later...

Accepted! (Based on offer on SOLUS tonight)

3.98 OMSAS GPA, MCAT 40S

Wasn't expecting Queens because I messed up my interview, and it's worth 100% to determine who gets in... I answered one question completely wrong because I misunderstood it, and thought that it went horribly. But here it is! For people applying next year, don't worry too much about how you think the interview went. I had a terrible experience and still got it!

Queens is a wonderful school, and this is a tough decision, but I will most likely be withdrawing in favour of McGill (it's in my signature and all :rolleyes: ). I hope someone on here gets my spot!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), recreational therapy at Alzheimer's Care Centre (1 yr), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer.

LORs: 2 x research profs (1 leader, 1 collaborator), Alzheimer's volunteer supervisor (advocate)

Interview feeling: Felt horrible. Was very tired as I had McMaster the day before and a grueling month in general. MMI stations: 2 were horrible, the rest were good, but barely good. The panel was great up until the end-ish.

Accepted!

Non-traditional applicant - completed thesis-based Master's degree

cGPA: 3.84

MCAT: 34Q

Felt like the MMI went horribly. Thought I wasn't making any sense at all. But the panel interview went really well!

I will not be accepting Queen's. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

ACCEPTED

Non-traditional applicant - completed thesis-based Master's degree and have now been working in academia for 2 years

cGPA: 3.35 (best two years - maybe 3.85 OMSAS)

MCAT: 39R

ECs: 5 papers published, about 10 abstracts, oral presentations, scholarships, volunteering in hospitals, local community, tutoring/teaching high school for 5 years...etc...

Thought the MMI and panel went quite well and I guess I was right!

So happy I got in somewhere even if it isn't my first choice.