Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted

Timestamp: 8:28 EST

3rd Yr OOP

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT:13/14/12

ECs: Club activities, hospital volunteering, TAing, translating, guitarist, academic awards, research scholarships no pubs

Interview: Bombed the MMI portion, didn't feel great about the panel portion either

Accepted

Timestamp: 8:26 EST

MSc finished

wGPA: 3.75

MCAT: 12/10/14

ECs: Long-term EMS volunteering, 2 publications, work with intellectualy handicapped adults/children, lots of student leadership/government stuff, local/international clinical + non-clinical volunteering, etc etc

I thought the interview went really, really well - one MMI station was a bit sketchy but 5/6 were fantastic. Thought the panel was a lot of fun.

Will likely be declining in favor of McGill, but were it not for my family situation Queen's would be my first choice. Their facilities are incredible and the students are so supportive and kind. It's enough of a draw that I'm taking a week to reconsider my decision.

Congrats to everyone who got in, and to those waitlisted/rejected - you're so close, you have what it takes - it took me 6 years to make myself a competitive applicant, you guys can do it too!

ACCEPTED!!! OMG!!! :) :) :) BEST DAY EVER!!

Timestamp: 8:26

2nd year Master's

cGPA: 3.48 (don't give up hope those with super low GPAs! It can be done!)

wGPA: ~3.83

MCAT: 10/14V/10

ECs: Lots of research (Canadian/International), long-term sports and music, hospital volunteering, student government, two first-author publications, tutoring, etc.

Interview: Honestly, I thought the MMI was pretty much a disaster, a couple of the stations went really poorly for me. But the panel interview went really well and I got on with my interviewers, so I guess that helped me. I guess you can never really judge how you do!

ACCEPTED!!

Timestamp: 8:26

Just finished UG

wGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 12/12/10

ECs: little bit of research, competitive sports and leadership in high school, hospital volunteering, part-time jobs throughout uni (one as a manager), international volunteering.

Interview: Felt really great for the most part, walked out of it feeling that I'd done my absolute best.

Knowing how amazing the applicant pool is at Queen's, I am completely blown away right now. Still shaking... Such a great feeling!! Congrats to all those who were accepted Queen's or elsewhere :D

Bad day.

Waitlisted

IP Finished undergrad this year

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: above cut off

ECs: research (4 years, 6 conf talks), teaching (6 years, MCAT, TA & private), >15 years of music, doctor shadowing, few organizational leadership positions, 7 awards. Filled the 48 slots.

CAN THOSE WITH ACCEPTANCES PLEASE STATE WHETHER YOU PLAN TO ACCEPT THE OFFER? Waitlisters would appreciate it big time.

Accepted :eek:

1st time applying

cGPA: between 3.5-3.55?

Last two years: around the same

Current Msc

MCAT: 11/10/14 R

Extra Curric: Undergrad research, few publications, leadership positions, varsity sport

Interview: Thought I bombed half of my MMI, panel felt great. I think my post-graduate experience during my master's really helped me realize my passion for medicine which I truly believe I did not have after my undergraduate degree. I think just being able to convey that to the panelist really helped me out.

Still surreal and cant believe it... going on these boards was helpful but also demoralizing at times so hopefully this can help people as well.

Congrats to everyone today and good luck to everyone who is going through this long hard journey.

Wait-listed

GPA: between 3.8 and 3.9 (not sure of weighting formula)

MCAT: 12/11/10 S

ECs: Lots of research (10 papers, 20+ conference presentations at time of app); journal reviewer; volunteering; provincial level athletics; student politics

Year: 3rd year PhD (was going to defend if accepted), not sure what I'll do now

Interview: Panel was terrific; MMI was hit and miss (probably mostly miss given my result)

MCAT score has now expired; morale is low.

Waitlisted.

cGPA: 3.68

2YGPA: 3.71

MCAT: 11/10/13

ECs: Research (4 pubs, 3 manuscripts in progress, international/national conference awards, grants), local community & hospital volunteering, tutoring, TAing, student council work, numerous long-term extracurriculars (music, athletics), part-time jobs working with children/adults/special needs

Interview: felt OK about MMI, panel went really well

Year: MSc complete, currently working as a Research Assistant

Geography: IP

I will be taking my name off of the waitlist in favour of UofT. Hope that helps someone move further up on the waitlist!

Accepted off waitlist on May 27th :)!!!

cGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 11/11/12
ECs: they're ok, I don't think they held me back
Interview: I felt ambivalent about the MMI and not great about the panel. Was expecting regrets, honestly.
Year: pharmacy student, finished BSc
Geography: IP

Still doesn't feel real!

Result: Wait-listed!

Year: 3rd yearn OOP (Alberta)

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 14, 12, 13 (39)

EC's: Hospice volunteering, lifeguard/swim instructor, first aid stuff, volunteering with vulnerable populations, research with a publication in a high impact journal, golf, various sports etc....

Interview: Meh, felt just okay!

I am going to remove myself as I have gotten into Ottawa... However, my top choice is UBC, so I will have to wait to hear from them!

***SERIOUSLY, IF YOU WANT MED: DONT GIVE UP!!!!***

THE FEELING OF BEING ACCEPTED IS INCREDIBLE:D

Accepted!

GPA: 3.82 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 14/11/13

ECs: captain of varsity team, musician, volunteering in hospitals/clinics/shadowing, lots of leadership positions, clubs, tons of academic and non-academic awards/scholarships, 7 publications (doing my PhD)

Year: 5th year PhD

Interview: Felt it was pretty decent, but was unsure about how I handled situations in the role playing scenarios

I'll be accepting this offer. Good luck to everyone else! This was my third time applying.

For those of you with a lower MCAT, here's some inspiration!

Result: Regrets post interview

MCAT: 10BS/10VR/9PS

cGPA: 3.77

2 Years: 3.88

ECs, employment and research experiences/awards definitely got me the interview

Year: 1 year post MSc

I'LL BE ACCEPTING MY FIRST CHOICE AND DREAM SCHOOL, U of T !!!!!:D

Result: offer of admission (accepted)

MCAT: 10PS/11VR/12BS

2 year GPA: 3.82; my cGPA was 3.28, so keep at it if you don't start strong

Extracurriculars: This was a stronger part of my application. Over 7 years volunteering with several local non profits in both front-line and board roles. I chose activities that I was passionate about and that utilized and developed my skills and abilities.

Year: working as a lab manager for 2 years. Have my MSc. Publication count was 2 first authored and 5 co-authored papers at the time of submission.

Interview feel: My gut feeling was that I performed well on the MMI, but it was definitely challenging. The panel component felt incredibly conversational and warm. I had spent the last 6 weeks reviewing the interview in my head, and with time my optimism had decreased. I suppose it's only natural to be more critical of your perceived performance with time. Trust your gut.

Honoured to be joining Queen's.

TIME STAMP:

Result: Waitlisted

cGPA: 3.9

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS 13/10/12/na

ECs: Lots of research (since 2nd year, full-time summer, NSERC, research exchange at UBC, 3rd author in intl journal, couple conferences), long term work with a charity group that lead to an exec position/board of directors, mentoring, TAing.

Interview:MMI was meh (aren't they always?), panel felt really good.

Year: Finished UG (gap year)

Will be removing myself from the waitlist to accept Western. Good luck everyone!

Result: Wait list

Interview date: Mar 22nd

cGPA: 3.98

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/ 13/11/13

ECs: Pretty standard research, clubs and volunteer activities

Interview: Bombed MMI, did well on panel

Year: Completed UG (class of 2014)

I will be removing myself from the wait list, sucks because queens is my top choice. Good luck to everyone else!