Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Time stamp: 9:01 am
Result: Waitlisted
cGPA: 3.92
MCAT: 11/11/12
ECs: See Interview Offers Post
Interview: I thought I had two stations where the answer I gave was not well planned out, but I thought the rest was strong
Year: Master's

Time stamp: 9:03 am

Result: Accepted

cGPA: 3.78

GPA of last 2 years: 3.97
MCAT: 10/11/11
ECs: Hospital volutneer, shadowing, Research as paid assistant, undergrad project and volunteer, Camp councellor for 6 summers
Interview: Good about MMI, unsure about panel
Year: 1 year out of undergrad

Time stamp: 9:02 am

cGPA: 3.90
MCAT: 10/10/13
ECs: execs at few clubs, varsity, a lot of teaching, a lot of employment, work abroad, minimal research.
Interview: Thought it was horrible. I'm very surprised at being waitlisted
Year: Finished UG - currently working

Time stamp: 9:02AM

Result:  Accepted

cGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 12/12/12

ECs: Musicals, lifeguarding, juvenile diabetes research 

Year: 3rd year UG

Interview: The MMI was traumatizing but in hindsight they probably did just want to see us operate out of our comfort zone like many previous posters mentioned. The panel was very very friendly and encouraging. 

Time stamp: 9:01 or 9:04AM (laptop vs. phone)
Result: Waitlist
wGPA: 3.9+
MCAT: 10+
ECs: Fairly ordinary and diverse, although less medically related than the typical applicant.
Interview: Felt surprisingly good.

Year: MSc

I've been on these forums for about 6 years now and hopefully by posting I am helping someone out in the future.

Although doing poorly in your first year makes things tougher, people like Supafeld on this forum made it possible for me to realize that non-traditional grads have a chance. I'm honoured to have been interviewed and am hopeful that after such a long road that I just need to wait another 2 weeks. But it's definitely tough especially as I have been on this waitlist in the past. Congrats to everyone here that got in and to everyone on the waitlist!

Time Stamp: May 12 @ 9:05 AM

MCAT: 12/10/14

wGPA: 3.99

Year: Just Completed UG

ECs: Long time athlete (competitive soccer/hockey, plus other intramurals), worked at a long term care home for 4 years, some academic scholarships, one NSERC,  2 summers of research experience + Hons Project (no pubs yet), volunteer tutoring...if you would like to know particulars please PM

Interview: MMI was alright, some stations better than others, but I wasn't overly confident coming out of the MMI. The panel went pretty well.

Timestamp: 9:06 am May 13

Program: MD
Year: Last year of undergrad
cGPA: 3.73

Highest year: 3.82

Highest two years: 3.78 
MCAT: 14/13/14

ECs: Not competitive. Evaluated as 17/50 by UBC for comparison. PM for details. 

Interview: MMI had some quite good stations. Panel was mediocre; my subjective feeling was that the panel questions might not be very good at differentiating between applicants. I preferred the Western panel.

Removing myself for Western. Congratulations to those accepted and best of luck to those on wait list. Queen's is a unique school.

Timestamp: 3:01 pm May 21

Result: Accepted off waitlist

cGPA: 3.96

Highest year: 4.00

Highest two years: 3.96 
MCAT: 12/10/15

ECs: Research (no pubs), Few clubs, Volunteering

Interview: MMI had interesting prompts - felt that I did alright. Wasn't as confident about the panel, but interviewing at Queen's overall was such a great experience!

Will be accepting this offer over McMaster. Looks like the waitlist is moving guys!!  :D

Didn't apply this year, but my roomie did (and she's not on this board but told me to post)

Time stamp: 9:03am May 12, 2015

MCAT: > 10s

wGPA: 3.90

Year: completed MSc

ECs: Research (3 pubs), healthcare volunteering, teaching - all long term commitments.

Interview: Fumbled some on the MMI, also embarrassing moments during the panel.

Timestamp: 10:01 pm May 27

cGPA: 3.86

Highest year: 3.93

Highest two years: 3.89 
MCAT: 14/14/14

ECs: volunteering, executive position on 2 clubs, lots of jobs (teaching, retail), varsity team for a video game, no research :(

Interview: DESTRUCTED. I learned how weak I am in this area.

Oh well, there's always next year to look forward to. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, etc etc.

Timestamp: 12:52 pm May 29

Result: Accepted off of waitlist

Year: 4th year UG
cGPA: 3.95

Highest year: 3.97

Highest two years: 3.97
MCAT: 13/14/14

ECs: volunteer tutoring high school students, involved in few clubs, 8 months co-op research

Interview: Thought it went okay

Already accepted an offer to Alberta, will be rejecting this offer. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Timestamp: 12:56 pm May 29

Year: 4th year UG

B2Y: 3.74ish
MCAT: 12/11/15

ECs: pretty varied, clinical, TA, shadowing, leadership, etc. 

Interview: was thrown off by the MMI but panel went really well

I can't believe it! I read the email and yelled "holy sh$@" in the middle of the cafe I was in. I hope this isn't a glitch

Timestamp: 9:56 am (Calgary time) - June 2, 2015

Year: Graduated from undergrad one month ago
cGPA: Not sure

Highest year: 3.90

Highest two years: 3.76 
MCAT: 12/10/10

ECs: I like to think I have done some good things. Competitive basketball for 10 years (Provincial team, Clubs, Highschool and Varsity for the U of C Dinos). Many other sports. Various volunteer positions (Athletes Mentoring Program, ICU, LINKages Friends for Seniors, CAPA Program, etc). Emergency Medical Responder, Basketball Coach, Landscaping, and Bartender at a local restaurant.

Interview: I had fun with the entire process. The MMI was unique, but I felt quite comfortable. Some stations were very interesting, would have never expected some of them. Panel was fantastic, I thought I connected so well with my interviewers, they were the nicest two ladies.

Will be accepting the offer and I am beyond excited to meet everyone. Congratulations to those accepted and best of luck to those on the wait list - things are still moving! 

Timestamp: 8:46am PDT, June 2, 2015

Result: Accepted off waitlist

Year: Graduated from undergrad in 2013
cGPA: 3.55

Highest year: 3.90

Highest two years: approx. 3.75-3.85
MCAT: 12/10/14

ECs: a variety of things, but the main things would be work experience in a clinical setting, volunteer at hospitals/care facilities, lots of music and community involvement.

Interview: seemed like it went okay! This was my only medical school interview ever so I honestly have nothing to compare it to.

Will be accepting this offer! I can't believe this is happening. Good luck to those still on the wait list - there's still hope!

A bit late but I'll add my stats anyway

Timestamp: 8:59 AM May 12, 2015

Result: Accepted!

Year: 4th year undergrad
cGPA: no idea (4.01/4.3 on the Queen's scale)

MCAT: 11/10/15

ECs: various

Interview: felt it went extremely well

Already accepted this offer :)

• 11 months later...