Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: 8:44am

2YRGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 515

EC: Interesting and long term

Geography: IP

Interview: Felt like I didn't really answer the questions for some MMIs. For panel, the interviewers were stone-faced and asked tough questions. Overall, felt horrible. This was my first interview so I walked out right after and had to really go ham on MMI/panel prep for my other interviews.

Year: Last year of masters

Result: Waitlist 

wGPA: 3.78 cGPA: 3.63 (Yikes)

MCAT: 129/131/129/128 (517)

ECs: Lots of hospital volunteering and some long term working commitments with the Life Saving Society. 3 summers with a children's grief camp. Solo skydiving enthusiast, Salsa dancing instructor and Master ranked SCUBA diver.

Interview: (MMI) 2 great stations. Acting station was... traumatizing. Average on 2 other stations and then a giant blunder on the very last station. (Panel) Was an interrogation. Interviewers were very uninterested in my answers but very combative in their questions. Left the interview sure I would be flat-out rejected after that panel.

Year: 4th year UG

Here's to hoping though :)

7 minutes ago, steelchopsticks said:

wGPA: 3.78 cGPA: 3.63 (Yikes)

MCAT: 129/131/129/128 (517)

ECs: Lots of hospital volunteering and some long term working commitments with the Life Saving Society. 3 summers with a children's grief camp. Solo skydiving enthusiast, Salsa dancing instructor and Master ranked SCUBA diver.

Interview: (MMI) 2 great stations. Acting station was... traumatizing. Average on 2 other stations and then a giant blunder on the very last station. (Panel) Was an interrogation. Interviewers were very uninterested in my answers but very combative in their questions. Left the interview sure I would be flat-out rejected after that panel.

Here's to hoping though :)

There’s definitely hope!!! My panel felt the same way a few years ago, and I also got off the waitlist. It’s a gruelling wait but just keep busy and business as usual. I ended up getting off the waitlist during a super busy shift at work!

Timestamp: 5:44amPST

2YRGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 522

ECs: See other posts. I’ve interviewed with Queens 3 cycles with the same ECs 

Geography: OOP (but they don’t have a distinction.

Interview: I honestly thought I rocked this interview. This was the best one I’ve had at queens over the 3 years. Some of the questions were right up my alley in terms of interests or experience. I cornered an actor because I covered all bases and he couldn’t come back with a scenario I didn’t already answer. Panel felt good too, maybe not excellent as I had more sass than I should have, but again, I felt like I covered all my bases. 

Queens would’ve been my other/2nd choice after UBC. I got accepted at UBC so at least I don’t have to make that decision.

Year: HBSc 2017

1 minute ago, chiynadoll said:

Timestamp: 5:44amPST

2YRGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 522

ECs: See other posts. I’ve interviewed with Queens 3 cycles with the same ECs 

Geography: OOP (but they don’t have a distinction.

Interview: I honestly thought I rocked this interview. This was the best one I’ve had at queens over the 3 years. Some of the questions were right up my alley in terms of interests or experience. I cornered an actor because I covered all bases and he couldn’t come back with a scenario I didn’t already answer. Panel felt good too, maybe not excellent as I had more sass than I should have, but again, I felt like I covered all my bases. 

Queens would’ve been my other/2nd choice after UBC. I got accepted at UBC so at least I don’t have to make that decision.

Year: HBSc 2017

Omg :( I’m sad you didn’t get into queens but CONGRATS ON UBC!!!

27 minutes ago, sykern said:

There’s definitely hope!!! My panel felt the same way a few years ago, and I also got off the waitlist. It’s a gruelling wait but just keep busy and business as usual. I ended up getting off the waitlist during a super busy shift at work!

Thanks so much for the reassurance and the advice. I'm going to try my hardest to keep myself distracted by working to pay off my student loans! Good luck with all of your endeavours as well :) 

36 minutes ago, sykern said:

Good to hear there is some hope for WL because I'm struggling with the wait :/ 

1 hour ago, Instagrammar said:

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:43am

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 51x

EC: Interesting and long term

Interview: MMI was amazing, Panel was so bad I skipped the tour and drove home sad at how embarrassing it was

Year: done masters

Will likely accept this offer :) 

When do you have to accept/reject the offer by? 

Here's to hoping there will be an edit below this sentence in two weeks. 

Timestamp: May 14 8:44AM

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 516 

EC's: unique & long-term

Year: Graduated 2018

Interview: Felt very good about 4 MMI stations. 1 station was rough though. I thought my panel was relatively good as well. 

I can't believe I get to post this!!!!! So excited and grateful!!!

Result: Accepted!!!!!!!

Timestamp: May 14 8:43AM

cGPA: 3.83, 2YRGPA: 3.89 

MCAT: 509 (128/126/127/128) 

EC's: Long-term and diverse, several long-term and meaningful volunteer positions working with organizations and populations I really care about. 

As this was my only interview, I will be accepting this offer. Looking forward to meeting you all in September! And best of luck to everyone on the waitlist :) I also want to remind future applicants and you don't always need the highest GPA or MCAT to succeed (I certainly don't have either). Even if you don't have the most competitive stats, as long as you have good EC's, it's still worth applying!

1 hour ago, sykern said:

Omg :( I’m sad you didn’t get into queens but CONGRATS ON UBC!!!

TBH I'm a bit sad too. I'm extremely grateful to have an offer this cycle, but I was really looking forward to at least the chance/opportunity to go to Queens. I love the campus and the atmosphere there over UBC by far. Maybe would have second thoughts on living in Kingston vs Vancouver, but I guess life made the decision for me! 

Time stamp: 8:44 AM

cGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 514 (127/127/130/130)

EC's: Research, volunteer, the usual :)

MMI: two cringe-worthy stations but the rest felt like I answered the best I could

Panel: Felt awesome, really nice interviewers! 

Geo: IP

YEAR: Graduated in 2016, working as an RA at a hospital for 3 years

3rd time applicant - so exciting no matter the outcome!

Result: Accepted!

Timestamp: May 14 2019 8:43 am

wGPA: ~4.0

MCAT: 512 (127/128/128/129)

ECs: research heavy, long-term volunteering, lifeguard & swim instructor, tutor, student societies, hospital policy work

Year: graduated BSc 2018

Interview: felt confident with 5/6 MMI and panel was good but somewhat cold

Super excited! Good luck to those on the wait list!

2YRGPA: 3.72, cGPA: 3.69 

MCAT: 518 (129/129/129/131)

ECs: Very non-traditional. Message me for details if interested!

Year: Completed Masters

Interview: felt good with 5/6 MMI. Panel felt great.

For those with a low GPA: I got 4 interviews and 3 admissions offers :)  You can do it and don't give up hope. 

8 minutes ago, xyz-abc said:

For those with a low GPA: I got 4 interviews and 3 admissions offers :)  You can do it and don't give up hope. 

Congratulations! 

13 minutes ago, xyz-abc said:

congrats! which of your 3 are you picking?

14 minutes ago, xyz-abc said:

I'm having a very hard time deciding. Any suggestions or advice is welcome! :) 

...Not Queen's :p ...I'm totally joking obviously lol Most people advice that you consider 3 year vs. 4 year program, style of teaching (lectures, PBL, etc.), surrounding hospital network, city/location, and your access to your social support networks when choosing a school

Time stamp: 8:43 AM

cGPA: ~3.84

MCAT: 517 (129/128/131/129)

EC's: quite a bit of research, position as a teacher at a sunday school for many years, some musical stuff!

MMI: kinda a blur, one of the rooms told me I did a good job haha but felt pretty confident afterwards in general!

Panel: honestly... not great, relived various answers for the past couple months haha

Geo: IP

YEAR: 4th UG