Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

14 minutes ago, medsci101 said:

Seems like most people agree that 4 year programs are more desirable than 3 year ones.  Beyond that, your location is a factor of course (IP vs OOP) and trust your impression of the schools.  All Canadian med schools are great.

Really depends on your life situation.

I think 3 year schools are great for people with tighter budgets, young families and those who already know what their career path may look like. I picked a 3 year school over a 4 year one.

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 14th

cGPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 520+

ECs: Well-rounded, PM if curious

Geography: IP

Interview: MMI felt very odd, interviewers seemed so stone-faced that it threw me off a bit. Panel was incredibly warm. Loved every minute of the interview day, the medical students were amazing.

Year: UG

Will be accepting

GPA: 3.97 ish

MCAT: 131/127/131/132 (521)

ECs: Unique and diverse

Interview: Hardest interview I've ever done by far. MMI was brutal, questions were super complex and the acting stations were batshit crazy. One of the follow up questions was so convoluted I didn't even understand it; I answered the wrong question... The format was super robotic, awkward, and cold. Panel: a deep dive into my personal life story trying to figure me out, like my true intentions, what I'm trying to show off and what I'm trying to hide. Asked me where I applied and where I interviewed to see if it lined up with my story about the patient population I want to serve (I thought they crossed the line with these questions). They caught me on every slightly unethical thing I could have done according to my CV and asked about a detail that I was hoping not to talk about lol. The way my panel went, it would be difficult to hold a story upright if it was based even partly on untrue or distorted intentions. My strategy was to be super honest and truthful, and it worked out. Overall I felt poorly coming out of the MMI and did not think I passed this interview at all, especially since the ratio of interviewees getting offers is so small. The people who run the interview are both savage and genius lol

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: OOP

* Will be rejecting my offer for UBC!

Result: Accepted, standard round (holy cow, didn't think I could do it with that cGPA)

2YRGPA: 3.75ish?  cGPA: ~3.34 (lul, double major + minor degree in physics and electrical engineering and math, all honours degrees with strong upward trend etc., though I don't know if anyone cared about that detail)

Grad School GPA: 3.97ish, made sure to take med and life science course as proving grounds

Year: Final year of Master's

MCAT: 517

EC: Several publications, some conferences, won some research award competing against 50+ residents in a surgery research conference, lots of research in AI/engineering/applied math in medicine. All long term extra-curriculars athletics, volunteering in outdoor survival instruction, rescue roles (all 5+ years, most are 10+ years, half of roles have 500+ hours, some with 2000+ hours), 3D printing/electronics/robotics/programming projects and competitions, lots of projects with physicians to use math/engineering to build solutions for clinical problems. Key focus I exemplified was that I developed insight and expertise to every difficult technical aspect of my activities (e.g. in projects I'd be the one making electronics, designing 3D models, writing physiological math models, and presenting it in conferences). Only "short-term" thing is hospital volunteering for the past year but I was brutally honest that it was just to get clinical exposure and experience for medical school.

Reference Letters: Each told me they wrote a very strong letter...not sure exactly what though

Interview: Thought I did so-so MMI, gave the "safe" answer the most part (consider all sides, balanced approach, do not harm, etc. stuff to not get sued), felt really bad during certain acting stations but I have no idea how I actually did. Panel felt great, really tied together uniqueness of my background and every answered I provided substance of unique skills/traits with concrete examples. I tried to get the typical standard answers out of the way quick so i can talk about my unique traits. I thought this was my strongest part, focused on being super genuine in all my responses (e.g. I vowed to not do the "talk about some limitation but sugar coat it and spin it around like a strength thing" ).

stop lurking here trying to figure out who I am isn't it obvious and no I'm not the maker of the instagram meme account

2 hours ago, totesmcgoats said:

Result: Accepted, standard round (holy cow, didn't think I could do it with that cGPA)

2YRGPA: 3.75ish?  cGPA: ~3.34 (lul, but was a double major + minor degree in physics and electrical engineering and math, all honours degrees with strong upward trend etc., though I don't know if anyone cared about that detail)

Congrats!

For clarification, Queen's looks at either 2 year GPA or cGPA, not both. It doesn't matter if your cGPA is 2.3 if your 2 year GPA is in the high-ish 3's and vice versa. It doesn't have any negative effect on your application.

Timestamp: May 14th 

cGPA: like 3.5 lol  2 year GPA: ~ 3.8

MCAT: 515 (130, 126, 129, 129)

ECs: Lots of research and publications. some sports, and some rather unique experiences. 

Geography: IP

Interview: MMI felt good initially but as time went by, I became less and less happy with my answers. Panel felt OK, but didn't feel like I came across as great as I would have hoped. 

Year: MSc grad

Whoa. Still can't believe I got in... I've been putting this post off until I've had time to process it, but I still haven't. There have been a lot of struggles, self doubt, and sleepless nights to get to this point. Lots of struggles also coming from a very low income household.There have been a lot of posts on these forums that helped me push through, and I hope someone can see my stats and think the same. 

Will be accepting.

Can't wait to meet everyone in August! 

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted of the waitlist (last week; only posting for stats)

2YRGPA: 3.86
cGPA: 3.77

Year: Graduated undergrad 4 years ago

MCAT: 518 (130/125/131/132)

EC: One 2nd author publication, 2 conferences, little bit of research in surgery and patient centered care. Student government throughout undergrad, international athlete, a bunch of miscellaneous cookie-cutter like activities (hospital volunteering, peer tutor, etc. etc.). Worked 2 full-time jobs throughout undergrad.

Reference Letters: Confident about all 3 referees. I knew all of them for 3+ years and have a very strong relationship

Interview: MMI felt great! Was getting good body language cues from actors/preceptors so definitely built up confidence from one station to the next. Panel was a completely different story. I thought it was quite difficult and I couldn't even come up with answers to questions I had already rehearsed.

I'm not going to lie, this took a while for me to accept that the acceptance is real. This was my 5th time applying and after getting rejected from UBC (my home province) I thought a new career search was in the horizon. I was not very hopeful of Queen's WL moving. To be accepted is such a humbling (and really overwhelming feeling)!

To anyone reading this and looking to (re)apply, please don't give up. It's such a grueling process, but it's well worth it once you get that acceptance letter. There's always a way if medicine is the career for you!

2 hours ago, this_process_is_death said:

Result: Accepted of the waitlist (last week; only posting for stats)

2YRGPA: 3.86
cGPA: 3.77

Year: Graduated undergrad 4 years ago

MCAT: 518 (130/125/131/132)

EC: One 2nd author publication, 2 conferences, little bit of research in surgery and patient centered care. Student government throughout undergrad, international athlete, a bunch of miscellaneous cookie-cutter like activities (hospital volunteering, peer tutor, etc. etc.). Worked 2 full-time jobs throughout undergrad.

Reference Letters: Confident about all 3 referees. I knew all of them for 3+ years and have a very strong relationship

Interview: MMI felt great! Was getting good body language cues from actors/preceptors so definitely built up confidence from one station to the next. Panel was a completely different story. I thought it was quite difficult and I couldn't even come up with answers to questions I had already rehearsed.

I'm not going to lie, this took a while for me to accept that the acceptance is real. This was my 5th time applying and after getting rejected from UBC (my home province) I thought a new career search was in the horizon. I was not very hopeful of Queen's WL moving. To be accepted is such a humbling (and really overwhelming feeling)!

To anyone reading this and looking to (re)apply, please don't give up. It's such a grueling process, but it's well worth it once you get that acceptance letter. There's always a way if medicine is the career for you!

YESSSS!!!!  HUGE CONGRATS!!  I was literally praying this for you so badly haha :lol:.  Great job!!

giphy.gif

Result: Accepted (May 14)

GPA: 3.8 (2YR ~ 3.9)

MCAT: 128/127/127/130 (512)

ECs: High level sports, variety of leadership, service and random life experiences. No publications, but work experience in research. Some academic/athletic awards.

Interview: I found the MMI challenging, partially because the question stems were so long. I felt like I barely had time to formulate an answer before the bell rang. Also, I could never figure out which one was the evaluator and which one was the interviewer since they both had pads of paper and didn't introduce themselves. One ethics station in particular was rough, but I felt as though I did fine on the others. Panel felt great though! They asked me about all of my random, non-traditional entries, which was unexpected but nice. It gave me the opportunity to make myself look like a real person with interesting hobbies and life experiences. 

Overall, I didn't feel good about my chances coming out, especially since such a low percentage of interviewees get an offer. I was very surprised to receive my acceptance email!

Year: One year working post-UG (Grad 2018)

--> Rejected my offer for UBC

• 10 months later...