Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

16 minutes ago, sykern said:

Fellow RN here, also got waitlisted, got off the waitlist though ;). Fingers crossed for you!!! <3

Edit: Actually got the email of getting off of the waitlist while I was at work, on one of the busiest shifts I'd had in a while :).

Thank you!!! How long did you have to wait before you heard back?

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 9:32 am

2YRS: 3.96

MCAT: 519 (129/130/128/132)

ECs: Diverse, strong, long-term. Research-heavy awards.

Interview: It was meh. Two MMI stations I felt good, two I felt so-so, and two I ran out of time and didn't feel like I was engaging my interviewers at all. I also had major issues in where to look at because there was no uniformity in who (of the two peeps interviewing me) asked me the follow up question and I was so flustered in deciding the person I was going to make eye contact with. Rip. Panel was fine and uneventful - no grilling, unlike some of my friends' experiences.

In-person or Virtual: In-person

Year: 4th

Geography: IP

Removing myself from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone!

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 9:31am

2YRS: 3.93

MCAT: 127/128/131/131

ECs: Mainly research focused (10+ publications, 5 first author, mentorship, etc), but some other typical premed things on the side (tutoring, some clinical work with a FM clinic).

Interview: The virtual MMI I thought was pretty solid, but the panel wasn't so hot. I suppose it doesn't count for much? Or I'm just a bad judge of my own performance.

In-person or Virtual: Virtual

Year: PhD complete

Will likely be declining for Toronto, but not 100% sure yet. Good luck to all the wait-list folks, I hope you all make it off and keep the med dream alive!

Result: Waitlisted

2YRS: 3.95

MCAT: 130+ each section

ECs: Research, clubs, music.... somewhat diverse but not really exceptional imo

Interview: Honestly the MMI kind of really threw me off (maybe due to lack of recent MMI practice) - I started off shaky but I feel like near the end I loosened up and was able to give lots of genuine personal answers. So probably 50/50 in terms of quality. Panel was great - the panelists seemed really relaxed and nice and legitimately laughed at one of my answers (I gave a really frank answer and they burst out laughing at it LOL). Honestly panel felt really good but not sure how much it is weighted.  

Year: 4th

Will be removing myself from the waitlist. Good luck everyone!!

Result: waitlisted

Timestamp: 9:32am

2YRS: 3.87

MCAT: 522 (131/129/130/132)

ECs: fairly strong i think, diverse with some common themes running through

Interview: i was terrified for this interview but i actually ended up really enjoying it. MMI - felt really relaxed, had a few weird stations, didn't feel terrible about any of my answers. panel - was super confident about this. had a great conversation with my 2 panelists and i felt like i gave great answers to all their questions.

In-person or Virtual: in-person

Year: graduated in 2018 & currently working

to be honest, this is about what i expected. still, here's hoping i come off the waitlist before the deadline to accept my mac offer!

Long time lurker who finally took the plunge and made an account. Hopefully I can start contributing to the community in the coming months!

Timestamp: 10:31 am (Atlantic)

2YRS/cGPA: 4.0/3.99

MCAT:  521 (130/127/132/132)

ECs: Sometimes I think they're diverse/strong, but unsure. Variety of varsity athletics, volunteering, research, etc. PM for details!

Interview: Rough, to say the least. I dropped my phone in the lobby and shattered the screen just before entering the MMI circuit. First two stations were abysmal, don't even remember the subsequent 4. Panel was phenomenal though, so maybe more than just red-flag check? (speculation)

Year: 4th year

Geography: OOP (East Coast)

Incredibly shocked to have received an offer given how I felt about my interview performance. Maybe goes to show how bad we are at self-evaluating our performance? Queens was my first choice going into this process, but now trying to decide between Queens vs U of T (leaning Queens). Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! :) Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted!

Timestamp: 9:31am

2YRS: ~3.95+

MCAT: 516

Interview: In-person. Felt terrible coming out of it, I thought I completely bombed 2 stations. Panel went well. Goes to show you can't always trust the way you feel about your interview performance!

Deciding between Queen's and UBC. Congrats to all those accepted!

3 hours ago, Bawgg said:

Can you verify your MCAT and GPA is correct? It seems a bit low. Are you Aboriginal?

Hi, I'm not OP but I'm a current Qmed student who was accepted with a 3.7 wGPA/ 3.4 cGPA from the general applicant pool. Please be careful not to make assumptions that lower stats = a member of a special population, because this can be offensive to the person you're asking and demeaning to the population as a whole.

Result: Waitlisted (Accepted off the Waitlist - 26 May)

Timestamp: 9:32am

2YRS: 3.79

MCAT: 510 (126/129/128/127)

ECs: Fairly strong - quite active in the latter half of my undergrad. Clubs, societies, leadership positions. Research volunteering, research employment, wet lab stuff, clinical stuff. Working with vulnerable populations, education & outreach/advocacy. Few poster presentations and awards, one manuscript pending. Longstanding nontraditional employment + leadership. It's been a long road.

Interview: Was a little nervous walking into it, but felt good, and confident. Was (internally) taken back by a few of the MMI prompts, but always felt I had something to offer. Panel was rough and interrogatory, but I was able to address their questions well. Definitely walked out of the panel a little shaken, but.. I didn't take it personally (nor should you, should this happen to be you in the future).

Year: Undergrad complete (2016)

Really hoping for Queens this year.. so fingers crossed! :)

Edit: Accepted off the waitlist 26 May, will be accepting. Thrilled to be joining QMED2024 :)

On 5/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, unarmed walrus said:

Hi, I'm not OP but I'm a current Qmed student who was accepted with a 3.7 wGPA/ 3.4 cGPA from the general applicant pool. Please be careful not to make assumptions that lower stats = a member of a special population, because this can be offensive to the person you're asking and demeaning to the population as a whole.

Sorry, just seeing this now. My apologies, I didn't mean to sound the way I did. I definitely used the wrong choice words. Thank you for pointing that out and my apologies for any hard feelings fellow former pre-med. All the best and congratulations on your acceptance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Result: Waitlisted (Accepted off the Waitlist - 26 May)

Timestamp: 10:16am

4YRS/2YRS: 3.40/3.90

MCAT: 512 (128/128/129/127 CARS )

ECs: I felt like they were decently well-rounded, student leadership, research for years in the hospital including retrospective and systematic reviews, and running a clinical trial, and in a lab, lots of volunteering with kids and vulnerable populations. Some awards and presentations at conferences and posters. I also had part-time jobs throughout undergrad, including working in a pharmacy for over a year.

I did a second undergrad to boost my GPA, so a non-trad student. I also had a rough first couple years in university (hence why I posted my 4year/6year GPA) and I want to tell everyone not to be discouraged if you're in the same boat I was!! I'm not super familiar with this website but will try to answer any questions anyone has about my education/grades/ECs :)

Interview: Honestly felt pretty bad when I walked out of it. The MMI had my head spinning it went by so fast, and I felt like I didn't answer a single question "correctly" (however they determine what's good??). The panel was a lot nicer for me, but I've heard people who say it was aggressive so it really depended on the interviewer. The people who interviewed me were super nice and really friendly, so it was a nice change after the MMI. Goes to show you that you shouldn't use your feelings as a gauge on whether you'll get in!

Year: Undergrad complete (2018 and again 2020)

I was accepted off the waitlist and am super excited to attend Queens for the class of 2024!!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In preparation for D-Day tomorrow, I just wanted to create an updated template for this virtual cycle:

Result: Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected

Timestamp: 

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 

MCAT: 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: 

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): 

ECs: 

Year: 

Geography: IP/OOP

Timestamp: 8:36am EST

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: low 3.7s cGPA (2 year GPA much lower)

MCAT: 52x

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt quite good about the MMI during and after. The panel felt incredible - very warm interviewers.

Panel Date: Saturday March 27

ECs: Non-traditional background, have worked in an unrelated field for the past decade. Lots of leadership through that, and reasonably involved in my community.

Year: Graduated with a BSc a long time ago