Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Hi everyone :).

I'm accepted! Congrats to everyone else who is in. For those still waiting - I really wish you all the best and hope things work out for you. I know how difficult it is to wait.

In case it's helpful to know, here are my stats:

2 years OMSAS GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 10 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS, R writing sample.

I had a range of extracurricular activities/volunteering/research... hospital, crisis centre, 1 publication, I worked a lot since high school.

I had felt the interview went well (mostly because the interviewers were sooo nice).

I have a Honours BSc and an MSc in pharmaceutical science, 2 peer reviewed journal publications, 11 peer reviewed online publications, professional management experience, and tons of medical research experience. Pretty wide range of extracurricular, no volunteer.

GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 10 - phys, 10 - bio, 11- verb, R

Applied to: Queen's, UoT, Western, Mac, Calgary, Dalhousie

Rejected pre-interview: UoT, Western, Mac, Calgary, Dalhousie

Waitlisted for Queen's

I'm gearing up to apply again, new MCATs, the works. Does anyone know how many people get waitlisted? Is it everyone who had an interview but didn't get an offer -- 300 people? Does anyone who had an interview get declined?

Can everyone please post their stats as well? Including cGPA and last 2.

My OMSAS overall GPA was 3.5-ish (including two years of engineering courses); 3.78 for my most recent degree, and probably mid-3.8s for my best two years.

PS 11 / VR 11 / BS 13 / WS S

Extracurricular activities: Interprofessional health student group, student government, intramural sports, volunteer @ fair-trade store, summer NSERC research, and lots of first-hand experience in hospitals and the community thanks to my undergrad and recent work experience as an RD.

I was accepted, but will be declining my spot to take advantage of McGill's cheaper tuition :)

I'm an Ontario resident who completed by Bachelor of Health Administration in Health Services Management at Ryerson University in 2004. I also have a Diploma in Emergency Health Services Management from Dalhousie University (2004). I have been working as a paramedic with Toronto EMS since 1999.

My overall GPA was ~2.0. My GPA from my most recent two years was 3.78. I wrote the MCAT three times in 2004-5, scoring between 26 and 28. In March 2007, I wrote the MCAT again scoring 32R.

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: ®

I was accepted by Queens. This is my first time applying to this school since earning a competitive MCAT mark. I have been waitlisted at Dalhousie (23 on the non-maritime list), and was accepted by Western.

I will be attending Queen's in September.

Elaine

MCAT: 30S

GPA: 3.82

Extras: superintendent of first aid organization, volunteer coordinator for a hospital, coaching, leader for girl guides, play sports like hockey, volunteer at hospital last 8 years

Interview: felt it went really well...but all interviewers were nice

Going to hope a bit longer for queens, but like everyone frustrated not knowing where on the list I am.

I'm an OOP in 4th year CMMB (done now) at the UofC. My GPA was 3.85 for four years and 3.97 for the best two, and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: R

I was accepted by Calgary, Alberta and Queens, just waiting for the missing Western email. This is my third (DONT GIVE UP!!) time applying to this school.

I applied to UBC, UofC, UofA, Western, Queens, UofT, Mac and Ottawa.

I was interviewed at UofC, UofA, Western and Queens.

Interviews went well, I thought, except UofA.

Of all the schools I applied to, I have NO idea where I want to go to school! Good luck to all on the waitlist!

I got waitlisted for Queens, however I got accepted to U of C (my 1st choice).

Same thing as others who got waitlisted at Queens - I had a good but not overwhelming interview. I really didn't take very well to the questions that they were asking - they all kinda seemed to be asking the same thing. My whole interview involved the "describe a time when . . . . and how did you feel about it" type of question - at the end I felt like I had just been psychoanalyzed. I knew when I walked out the door that it didn't go well enough to get in.

Congrats to those who got into Queen's - perhaps we'll meet and swap stories at a medical mixer one day!

Hi everyone...

First time applying...

Accepted at Ottawa, Queen's, Mac. Probably attending Queen's:

Graduating this year with Honours Bachelor's

4.0 cumulative gpa

VR 9/PS 12/BS 13/WS R

Lots of community involvement, volunteering, extracurrics, 3 publications, 2 posters, a couple of abstracts...

Congrats to everyone who made it, and good luck to those still waiting - keep the faith.

3rd Year UWO undergraduate

Applied: UT, Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Interviewed: Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Waitlisted: Mac, Queens, Ottawa (please... just one of them... anyone of them would be fine!!!)

GPA: 4.0

EC: really random; first-responder team, international volunteering/conferences, oversea student facilitation, cadets, sports... NO RESEARCH~ :)

Yay, first post although I've been lurking here a bit. I figured that posting here might help others who are feeling discouraged.

Accepted at Queen's on May 15th!

Got my BA with a minor in Bio, not sure of GPA but in the B+ range

Finishing my MEd., 4.0 GPA

MCAT: 30R

EC: Tons of research (1 paper, 1 abstract), counselling recovering addicts, hospital volunteer work, creative writing, lots of work experience

So happy to join the class of 2012!!!

Okay, I'll bite:

Waitlisted

BSc (double major in Human Physiology+Biology, minor in Zoology)

MSc (Surgical Research) 3.85 GPA

MCAT: 10/12/12/R

EC: Bunch of research (2 posters, 3 presentations), pharm industry work experience, tutoring programs, dialysis unit volunteer, student government, and lots of hobbies/sports...

Good luck to everyone.

Today I was accepted off the waitlist. I will be accepting the offer. (although the "eeeekkk" thread makes me a little nervous that perhaps there's been a mistake, and the offer will be taken back!!)

I have an OMSAS GPA of 3.12, with a 3.71-ish last two years (I was a grad student though, with higher grades in my last two years of undergrad and then again in my masters). MCAT: 32R.

I have a wide range of ECs (hospital volunteering, community events, music), and I have worked in hospital management for a few years now.

I'm looking forward to meeting the class of 2012 in September!

I was accepted off the waitlist today and will be accepting the offer. I'm feeling great about it!

My GPA was low 3.3, but much higher during the last two years while I was doing grad level coursework. MCAT 32 R.

A lot of different ECs (hospitals, charities, working with kids). Also worked in physician recruitment for a few years.

Can't wait to meet everyone in September!!!

Hey,

I was accepted on May 15th at 9:02:44 am, but have yet to write one of these with my stats and such. These posts really helped me out when I was applying, so here goes:

4th year applicant, 1st time applying

GPA ~3.8

I'm an arts student, with all of the basic sciences and minimal upper year sciences

MCAT 10/10/10/S

Extracurriculars: non-sciency research, two conference presentations, teaching assistant, hospital volunteer, women's health clinic volunteer for several years, leadership stuff at school, lots of volunteering with homeless population, camp, academic awards, community contribution awards

Hope this helps someone. I'm looking forward to Queen's!!