Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

i agree. an updated list as to which schools accept Canadians, not just look at their application.

Accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread and the official interview thread.

As far as anyone is concerned this is the official list. Up until last year, everyone thought Boston U did not interview internationals, and that's why I didn't apply. However, we saw a lot of invites this year. So don't go on heresay all that much.

• 2 weeks later...
This is from the old EZboard, I just thought it would be useful to have on here. If you're aware of any changes to this list... make sure you post them!

The message below is copied from SDN (http://www.studentdoctor.net) ... because it may be useful to people, and it's easier to find old threads here than there.

Schools that are marked with an asterisk ( * ) have been PERSONALLY identified by an SDN member that they interview regular Canadians

Albany *

Baylor

Boston Univ.

Brown

Case Western

Columbia*

Dartmouth*

Duke University *

Einstein *

Emory

Finch/Chicago Medical School*

Georgetown

George Washington *

Harvard*

Hawaii*

Hopkins*

Jefferson *

Maryland

Meharry*

MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)*

Michigan State University-CHM*

U of Minnesota – Twin Cities

Mt. Sinai *

Northwestern*

NYMC*

U of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

Ohio State * -- NO LONGER ACCEPTS CANADIANS/INTERNATIONALS

Penn State *

Rosalind Franklin University

Saint Louis University*

Stanford

Stony Brook

SUNY - Syracuse (Upstate Medical University)*

Tufts *

Tulane *

Univ of Chicago--Pritzker

UCLA

UCSF

University of Connecticut

University of Pennsylvania

Vanderbilt *

Vermont

Virginia Commonwealth University

Wake Forest *

Washington Univeristy (St. Louis) *

Wayne State *

Weill Medical School (Cornell)

Yale University*

For private schools,

NO MCP in Philly

NO Rochester (unless you have gone there for undergrad)

Aid:

Harvard, Columbia, Stanford and Yale

Scholarships:

CWRU, Wash U in St. Louis

Tuition break (for Canadians only?):

UCONN, in-state tuition starting 2nd year of med school

Just e-mailed Vermont about whether or not they consider Canadian applicants out-of-state or International.

They said they consider us International and starting next application cycle Vermont will NOT be accepting international students... so you can cross Vermont off that list.

They said they consider us International and starting next application cycle Vermont will NOT be accepting international students... so you can cross Vermont off that list.

That's CRAZY !!!! I can't believe that! Do you know how many Canadians they have on their varsity hockey teams? Why would they shun the Canadian medical student?? Wow.

I realize that hockey has nothing to do with medical school admissions, I'm just shocked. I think Canadian hockey players should boycott UVM in solidarity for all of us premeds :P

• 2 weeks later...
UC Davis says they take international students, I dont know if that means whether they have realistically interviewed Canadians or not.

They took my secondary money, but I got no interview. It's hard enough for Californians to get into a UC, forget OOS or internationals.

Anyways, we can add UMBC to the list that accepts Canadians.:D

They took my secondary money, but I got no interview. It's hard enough for Californians to get into a UC, forget OOS or internationals.

Anyways, we can add UMBC to the list that accepts Canadians.:D

did you get an acceptance? Congrats Spanish!

Do you mind linking me to the UMBC meds site? I just did a quick google search and couldn't find it.

Thanks and enjoy the acceptance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through the MSAR from 2008/2009 and some of the schools in the this list are shown as not accepting intl applicants in the MSAR (eg Virginia Commonwealth) while others show intl matriculants (U of Texas Southwestern), but are not in this list. Is it possible that my 2008/2009 MSAR is outdated and that's why I'm not getting the same info?:confused:

ETA: obviously I am not understanding the MSAR stats. How is it possible for a school to interview 2 intl applicants, then have 6 who matriculate? lol

I'm going through the MSAR from 2008/2009 and some of the schools in the this list are shown as not accepting intl applicants in the MSAR (eg Virginia Commonwealth) while others show intl matriculants, but are not in this list. Is it possible that my 2008/2009 MSAR is outdated and that's why I'm not getting the same info?:confused:

VCU is a strange one - in MSAR they say 'no international students' but then if you go to their web site FAQ it says they accept Canadian applicants. From what I can tell, VCU is the only school that has this discrepancy. Schools like UPitt, Ohio State, Kansas, etc that state no international students in MSAR actually mean what they say and don't accept Canadians.

VCU is a strange one - in MSAR they say 'no international students' but then if you go to their web site FAQ it says they accept Canadian applicants. From what I can tell, VCU is the only school that has this discrepancy. Schools like UPitt, Ohio State, Kansas, etc that state no international students in MSAR actually mean what they say and don't accept Canadians.

Ok thanks, may add it to my list.:D:

I'm trying to get a rough idea of which schools to apply to this summer and could use some advice. So far I have about 45 schools on my list so I need to cut it down dramatically. Are the California schools a waste of money (have Loma Linda on my list) and impossible to get into? What about Texas schools (have 2 Univ of Texas on there so far)?

Also, I only managed to find a couple "safety" schools and think I need to add a few more. I won't apply to Wayne b/c it's just too expensive and I'm left with schools like Meharry, Rosalind & NYMC. Not even sure if these are considered "safe" schools. Thoughts?

depends on your stats.

wow thanks. :P

I guess what I'm asking is if the ODDS of acceptance are much smaller for Cali and Texas schools compared to elsewhere in the US regardless of stats? Since there are plenty of schools to choose from, is it generally wise to stay away from schools in these states compared to other states?

My question on which schools are "safety" schools still stands.

I'd like to help but I'm not really sure I understand this question. I don't see a reason to look at states broadly -- you should be considering individual schools. For example, California has a diverse set of medical schools: three private schools, and the 5 public UC schools. A couple of the public UC schools claim to take internationals. But none of them had a single international matriculant last year. So, I wouldn't apply. The private schools do accept internationals and may be worth applying, at your discretion. Use the MSAR, it's very helpful!

I'd like to help but I'm not really sure I understand this question. I don't see a reason to look at states broadly -- you should be considering individual schools. For example, California has a diverse set of medical schools: three private schools, and the 5 public UC schools. A couple of the public UC schools claim to take internationals. But none of them had a single international matriculant last year. So, I wouldn't apply. The private schools do accept internationals and may be worth applying, at your discretion. Use the MSAR, it's very helpful!

Thanks for replying, I guess my question was a bit weird.:rolleyes: I'm having a hard time compiling my school list with the MSAR along with the list of schools in this thread. Was just wondering why some of the TX schools were not on this list, and yet they seem to have OK MSAR #s. I think I remember reading somewhere that TX schools were nearly impossible to get into as intls since the tuition is so low.... Similar to how hard it is to get into Cali schools as OOP.

Ok now I'm just rambling. :eek:

Texas is very different from California. They have a match system that I'm not sure if international students are eligible for. For regular admissions, I hear that they have a fairly high international student "quota," which is actually official unlike in other states. Since a lot of international students actually have higher qualifications than some of the Texas undergrads, they're prone to using up all of those spots. It's actually easier to get in as an international student than an out of state.

You should definitely check SDN for more info about that though.

edit: Also if you want to try for TX you'd have to fill out an entirely separate application from AMCAS (TMDSAS) which I'm sure discourages a lot of people.

wow thanks. :P

I guess what I'm asking is if the ODDS of acceptance are much smaller for Cali and Texas schools compared to elsewhere in the US regardless of stats? Since there are plenty of schools to choose from, is it generally wise to stay away from schools in these states compared to other states?

My question on which schools are "safety" schools still stands.

the comment about stats holds

Some schools are safeties to some and reaches for others depending on your stats. Until we get those, it's difficult to advise you on what's what.

the comment about stats holds

Some schools are safeties to some and reaches for others depending on your stats. Until we get those, it's difficult to advise you on what's what.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I was just trying to narrow down my list with general rules (realizing there aren't any general rules and I will have to do lots of work on my 45-school list:eek: ). My GPA isn't great- 3.75 but I have a pretty compelling personal story so I'm hoping my PS will balance out sucky stats. I will probably need at least 5 schools in the bottom tier to give myself a chance, right?

Thanks token for the info. Guess my source was dead-wrong re: Texas schools. The low tuition is great but that extra app is definitely a good deterrent!

I wouldn't totally dismiss Texas though...I mean I didn't apply because I didn't know anything about it. But if you want to be absolutely sure you get in somewhere next cycle (that isn't Wayne State), and you don't mind Texas, the extra application may be worth it. Especially if they'll let you in the match.