Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

I just checked 2013 MSAR. It's 67K

My bad - my # was from last year's MSAR. Online (most up-to-date) says 62k. Anything over 60k a year just for tuition might be out of reach for most of us.

Does anyone have any info regarding whether Hawaii regularly accepts Canadians without much connection to their state?

Sorry, it is 62K. :)

I also want to confirm this, but since it's going to cost a lot to fly there for a potential interview, I'm going to cross it out of my list. I've heard a lot of rumours around the forums implicating that this school doesn't interview Canadians.

I got an interview (declined) and I know of at least 2 other people who did, one of whom ended up going there. They say you need Hawaii connections but really it doesn't matter as long as you do a good job on their secondary application. For me the interview offer was nice/reassuring to have as a 'safety' although I ended up getting accepted to other schools before the scheduled date of the interview.

I got an interview (declined) and I know of at least 2 other people who did, one of whom ended up going there. They say you need Hawaii connections but really it doesn't matter as long as you do a good job on their secondary application. For me the interview offer was nice/reassuring to have as a 'safety' although I ended up getting accepted to other schools before the scheduled date of the interview.

lol but you got 44T on your MCAT, that's why. Did you write the MCAT once?

Did anyone else apply to Rosalind Franklin Medical School because when I called them, they mentioned that I need to get my University transcript verified by WES and send that in to them by mail. Is this what others have done? It seems weird to need to do an equivalency evaluation for a renowned Canadian University like the University of Toronto.

And did you still get an interview?

No i didn't I was placed on hold. You send your transcripts to AMCAS and they verify what you entered as your marks matches up and then forward that to the schools as part of your primary... So I wouldn't know why you'd need to send additional transcripts to RF

No i didn't I was placed on hold. You send your transcripts to AMCAS and they verify what you entered as your marks matches up and then forward that to the schools as part of your primary... So I wouldn't know why you'd need to send additional transcripts to RF

Thanks for the info really appreciate it but I won't be doing American apps anymore as I just recently got accepted off the waitlist at UWO. Lost $160 b/c I submitted the primary app, lol. However, I want to say good luck to the rest of the 2013 American app group and I am hoping that all of you guys get in this upcoming year:)

does anyone know if Oakland is still considered "Canadian friendly"? I see from MSAR that they didn't interview any internationals last year so I wonder if things have changed.

Scratch Columbia, add MSU, U Kentucky, Hawaii (I'm serious, they are quite Canadian friendly), Georgetown, SUNY Upstate, Med College Wisconsin, Case (high reach?), NYU (high reach?), NYMC, Jefferson, Oakland, St. Louis.

If you can break the magic 35/36 then all the US schools that are known to interview Canadians are fair game, maybe except Yale and WashU and maybe Vanderbilt (known to like high #s from Canadians).

• 1 month later...

I've been a long time lurker, but I find myself needing some personalized advice.

GPA yr1: 3.73

GPA yr2: 3.9

GPA yr3: 3.88

GPA yr4: 3.89

cGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 15B/12P/11V/R

ECs: some research, some volunteering, some sports, mostly work

I have applied to Ontario schools twice and got rejected everywhere twice. I'm now applying broadly in Canada, and decided (albeit late) to start applying to US schools as well.

My questions:

1. Is it too late to apply now?

2. I'm looking for schools near Toronto (within a day drive) which 5-10 schools can you recommend?

3. Is the list provided on the front page still relatively accurate?

PS: I'm just starting to do researching state schools so I'm a little clueless at the moment, thought I'd ask anyways.

• 2 months later...
I've been a long time lurker, but I find myself needing some personalized advice.

I have applied to Ontario schools twice and got rejected everywhere twice. I'm now applying broadly in Canada, and decided (albeit late) to start applying to US schools as well.

My questions:

2. I'm looking for schools near Toronto (within a day drive) which 5-10 schools can you recommend?

PS: I'm just starting to do researching state schools so I'm a little clueless at the moment, thought I'd ask anyways.

got rejected from Canada with those stats?

I think people would tell you that it is somewhat late to apply to america, but I think with your stats/mcat, it wouldn't matter so you should apply anyways.

My questions:

1. Yes, you are late. Its best to wait one more cycle and enjoy that year. You have very strong stats

2. Wayne, SUNY Upstate are 5-6 hrs drive. I'm sure there are others but I don't know exact times.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

After applying in Canada, I am looking at the US. Clearly I am very late in the cycle, but I've sent some e-mails to the admissions offices at different schools and they've seemed very encouraging (maybe this is because we pay for the application?).

Am I 100% too late for US schools (even the ones due in Dec?) My application is almost finished and I have all the reference letters uploaded, but after reading a lot of the posts I am seriously rethinking submitting my application.

My stats are a little mixed, and I'm not sure exactly how my GPA will convert in the US but I think over all it will be around 3.7 (my last 2 years in undergrad are both 3.9 so I hope schools will notice that). MCAT 31O (9PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

My EC, research, work experiences (I believe) are strong.

Any advice about my chances in the US at this point would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
If it makes any difference I was going to apply to:

Central Michigan University School of Medicine

New York Medical College

Wayne State University School of Medicine (Regular M.D.)

Howard University College of Medicine (Regular M.D.)

dude, you are only applying to 4 schools? pick more man... at least 10+

• 4 months later...

I was hoping to get some help in which schools to apply to for admission fall 2014.

I have a BSc from U of Alberta with a 3.69 GPA. I will finish a MSc in immunology also at the U of A by December 2013 (GPA 3.9). I'll also have a publication by the end of August (I hope).

My MCAT scores are VR 9, BS 11, PS 11 and WS R. I have a wide range of ECs including volunteering in the U of A ER, tutoring ESL children, ski instructor for disabled skiers, overseas medical missions, leadership roles in student groups such as graduate student associations, a couple big scholarships (>$10 000) and a bunch more.

I'm new to the American school admissions so I was hoping I could get some advice about the whole process as well as which schools might be best for me.

Thanks for your help!

I was hoping to get some help in which schools to apply to for admission fall 2014.

I have a BSc from U of Alberta with a 3.69 GPA. I will finish a MSc in immunology also at the U of A by December 2013 (GPA 3.9). I'll also have a publication by the end of August (I hope).

My MCAT scores are VR 9, BS 11, PS 11 and WS R. I have a wide range of ECs including volunteering in the U of A ER, tutoring ESL children, ski instructor for disabled skiers, overseas medical missions, leadership roles in student groups such as graduate student associations, a couple big scholarships (>$10 000) and a bunch more.

I'm new to the American school admissions so I was hoping I could get some advice about the whole process as well as which schools might be best for me.

Thanks for your help!

Your GPA isn't low but your MCAT is a little low. Why not re-write the MCAT and aim for a 33 or higher? It would improve your chances significantly.

Schools where you have the best chances are Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, and Kentucky. Apply early: primary AMCAS submitted by late June and secondary essays submitted by early August.

Best advice that anyone can give you: read over threads in premed101 Applying to American Schools and SDN forums.

Does anyone know how friendly U Pitt is toward Canadians? Based on the MSAR of previous years, they really haven't been too kind, but I found this which makes me question their history.

http://www.medadmissions.pitt.edu/application-process/documents/internationalstudentpolicyfinalupdated12-20-2012.pdf

Being dated at Dec 20, would this policy change be reflected in the MSAR?

• 4 weeks later...