Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

this is very informative

can someone please help me with this question...

are there any US schools that do not require the MCAT? ( I got 22M )

gpa is 3.28

also, I am a US ( and Canadian ) citizen, born in New York. would there be

any schools relevant to my situation? grades and tuition wise.

thanks if anyone can help

this is very informative

can someone please help me with this question...

are there any US schools that do not require the MCAT? ( I got 22M )

gpa is 3.28

also, I am a US ( and Canadian ) citizen, born in New York. would there be

any schools relevant to my situation? grades and tuition wise.

thanks if anyone can help

With your mcat you might be able to apply to osteopathic schools. Usually though you would want a higher gpa to compensate. I would say your best bet is to rewrite the mcat and get a better score and apply DO (osteopathic).

Being a US citizen is a huge bonus. You have way more choice in terms of schools to apply to. As it stands though your only shot is at DO and even then you likely have to raise either your GPA or your MCAT. Keep in mind that for DO schools you can pursue grade replacement, so if you have some bad grades (especially prereqs) and you redo them and get a 4.00 then the original grade does not affect your cGPA.

Hope this helps.

thanks Der Kaiser.

it was hard to do MCAT with non science background ( music!) but I was already in a nursing degree so I took a shot and got

10 V, 8 BS, 4 PS

officially my OMSAS gpa is 3.28 which is only based on 1.5 yrs of courses of a 4 year degree. I went to a college and then credits were transferred to Uni. it really sucks because most of the college courses were science and I did very well ( A, A-) and then the last 1.5 was primarily essay based with subjective marking. I see that many Canadian med schools will not look at the college grades. if they did, I would have a cGPA of 3.56. I have explained all this where I can, in answers to application questions. like, really give me a chance and I will do well in science, but in the end it is still that gpa that counts.

I wonder if any US med schools/DO schools would be willing to look at the overall 4 years.

I am also a massage therapist so the DO approach appeals to me...I guess I just had not given it much consideration until now. maybe because it is not so prevalent in Canada, and I am thinking it would be a private service here, vs the US it seems much more integrated and accepted in health care? ( which is really important for job security obviously )

hmmmmm...

thanks

Hi Taiga Girl,

with a PS of 4 you probably don't have a shot anywhere in the states, so you definitely need to rewrite the MCAT. I know it can be an intimidating test, but with the proper prep you should be able to bring up the PS section to an 8 (and thus have an MCAT of at least 26 assuming the other sections stay the same).

Your massage background really does make DO a good option for you. Definitely something to mention in a personal statement.

If you have not done the prereqs yet I believe most DO schools accept online courses, so Athabasca may be an option (many of the labs are on site). These courses may also bring up your gpa (and help for the MCAT). Having done courses at Athabasca and at regular schools I do not see much difference except that Athabasca is more flexible.

I think your advantage is your non-traditional background and unique perspective (and U.S. citizenship).

Anyway, a lot of things to think about. If you really want medicine DO is shaping up to be a viable option for Canadians. I hope you can stick to it and really hope it works out for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm graduating coming Monday from UofT with a BSc and a GPA of 3.97. My MCAT score is 9V 9B 13P (31 R). Can anyone please suggest which MD schools in the US, other than Wayne State, would I stand a decent chance to get into?

Retake the MCAT. Not because you can't get into a school, but because even a 3-4 point increase could mean the world in terms of choosing what school you can go to.

Will it be too late for Canadian to apply to American Medical Schools now if my gpa (AMCAS Scales) is 3.9 and a low MCAT score of 11/9/11 (PS/VR/BS)?

Are there any low-tier medical schools that are Canadian-friendly?

Thank you!

Same here. Retake the MCAT with that great GPA, apply to Canada this year. One extra year isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, do some research, have some fun and have the chance to choose the med school you go to.

A quick question

I have come across a few "regular" Canadian student (no US affiliation) who have applied & interviewed at the University of Kentucky Medical school. MSAR says that this school accepts international students.

I am just curious as to why the University of Kentucky, amongst all the other schools in the area, interviews many Canadians. Are there any special reasons?

A quick question

I have come across a few "regular" Canadian student (no US affiliation) who have applied & interviewed at the University of Kentucky Medical school. MSAR says that this school accepts international students.

I am just curious as to why the University of Kentucky, amongst all the other schools in the area, interviews many Canadians. Are there any special reasons?

Interviewed there two years ago (and there were two other Canadians there too) and know of others who did.

Everyone was Asian (Chinese or Indian). That may be it. All schools need to have a certain percentage of ethnic diversity.

• 3 weeks later...

After much debate, I've decided to re-apply to medical schools after coming close a few years back.

I'm re-writing the MCAT, as they've expired (historically, I've gotten B 13, P 11, V 8). GPA is probably around 3.6 now thanks to my final year.

I have two undergraduate degrees and have been a clinical pharmacist for the past 4 years or so with a ton of clinical experience as well as extracurriculars throughout my years.

My question is when it comes to Canadian friendly US schools, and there some that look more at what you've done more so than marks? Are there some that allow us to apply as a mature student (I'm currently 33 with a family)?

This will probably be my last time applying as I may go into academics and the demands of family can only be stretched so far.

Any advice/suggestions?

As an aside, I've come across the "DO approach"? and I"m not sure if that's an acronym for something. What is meant by "DO"?

We accept Canadian students. Accredited Medical School still accepting application from potential Medical students for September 2013; January and May 2014. Affordable tuition, MCAT optional and some tuition assistance. For further information or to start application process with the Toronto-based Medical Programs Advisor, contact: clinicalclerkships@yahoo.ca

an @yahoo.ca email? really?

whats the school called

After much debate, I've decided to re-apply to medical schools after coming close a few years back.

I'm re-writing the MCAT, as they've expired (historically, I've gotten B 13, P 11, V 8). GPA is probably around 3.6 now thanks to my final year.

I have two undergraduate degrees and have been a clinical pharmacist for the past 4 years or so with a ton of clinical experience as well as extracurriculars throughout my years.

My question is when it comes to Canadian friendly US schools, and there some that look more at what you've done more so than marks? Are there some that allow us to apply as a mature student (I'm currently 33 with a family)?

This will probably be my last time applying as I may go into academics and the demands of family can only be stretched so far.

Any advice/suggestions?

As an aside, I've come across the "DO approach"? and I"m not sure if that's an acronym for something. What is meant by "DO"?

DO means Doctor of Osteopathic medicine. They have exactly the same practice rights as M.D.s but are also taught osteopathic manipulation. Their schools tend to emphasize primary care more and it has been suggested that they are more open to non-traditional students. They also conveniently have lower admission stats. There is a whole stickied thread on this.

• 2 weeks later...

On the original list, Stanford was marked green, indicating they offered financial assistance to Canadians. However, I can't find any indication of this on their website.. Anyone else find anything?

Also, any comment on my chances for Stanford? 3.9 GPA, 36Q MCAT, 1 publication, 2 abstracts, 1 poster, 1 conference, decent clinical exposure

I'm trying to address my VR score in my secondary application, because it's such an eyesore to my overall application. I'm really worried that my VR will hold me back from a lot of schools, but I did read about some cases where people were accepted with 7/8 VR... I'd appreciate some input.

Also, I'm applying to 5-6 DO schools along the border. Any thoughts on my chances there? Ultimately, I want to be a pediatrician, so I know that DO is definitely a great path to consider. I have some reservation about the career just because we don't see DO's in Canada.

Worried applicant.

You won't have much luck with MD schools with a 28 MCAT, and 7 VR. I had a 29T MCAT and 7VR, no go.

DO schools on the other hand, would basically give you an acceptance somewhere.

Unless you want to try your luck with the MCAT for a 3rd time, even with a 3.91cGPA, I doubt you'll get any interviews from the MD world.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can I get some advice on my chances at mid-tier american MD schools?

cGPA: 3.38 (but last 2 years: 3.88 & 3.91)

My first 2 years of undergrad were extremely difficult because I was dealing with a parent's fatal degenerative disease, so I wasn't really too focused on school at that time.

MCAT: PS10/VR11/BS11 I feel like I can do much better - I'm retaking at the end of this summer aiming for 35-38.

I also have a research-based MSc. with a 3.9 cGPA, no pubs but 4 scholarships. My ECs are probably average to below-average - no hospital volunteering although I've probably spent more time and seen more things in hospitals than most volunteers ever do (no offence to all you hospital volunteers!).

I know my GPA is extremely weak but with a strong MCAT could I make it somewhere???

With an MCAT retake you have a fair shot, especially with the strong performance in the MSC and upward trend over your last 3-4 years. For clinical experience as long as you can intelligently talk about what you've learned and showed altruism through your experiences that is fine.

Apply to all low-tier and mid-tier MDs and write a good PS, and hit the MCAT hard.

3 years of 3.9 is a good indicator that the first two years were a fluke. Explain why you did poorly and how it's bettered you and made you more committed. If you really ace the MCAT 33+ you can snag a few interviews, it's a game of chance. An adcom who sees your app may say "okay low overall GPA, but last few years have been strong, had a valid reason for low first two, has reinvented him/herself and knocked the mcat out of the park while having strong leadership skills. Guess ill give them a chance"

Doing an extra year of 4.0 can only help, do it while applying and see what happens. You'll also be open for queens, UWO, and Mac with a strong mcat.