Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

Hey guys! I am so sorry to deviate from the original convo, but i am heading into my first year of uni, and am in life sci at UOFT. My question is with regards to whether there are US med schools that require you or accept you without a course in eng or phy. Because i really dont wanna take those. I am keeping going to a us med school as a back up pln...what should i pay attention particularly to when choosing courses?

Most schools need English, 2 semesters of physics with lab, 2 semesters of chem with lab, 2 semesters of bio with lab, (2 semesters of orgo with lab or 1 orgo and one biochem). You don't have to complete all the courses before applying, but you will have to take them before you start med school. So you should try to complete as many as you can before applying. You should delay taking courses like english until after admission, since they can decrease your gpa. Take other courses that you think you won't do well in in summer so you will have more time to focus on just one course, and because some canadian schools don't count your summer school grades in your gpa.

Just wondering why does AECOM, Penn State, and Oakland keep appearing on these lists? According to MSAR, their international matriculation to interviewed ratios are all quite poor, 3/46, 3/61, and 1/12 respectively. Sure, I understand that the acceptances to interviewed ratios are probably better, but nevertheless, schools such as Boston and Dartmouth have matriculation to interviewed ratios of 10/73 and 8/67 which seems like a much better probability of acceptance.

Just wondering why does AECOM, Penn State, and Oakland keep appearing on these lists? According to MSAR, their international matriculation to interviewed ratios are all quite poor, 3/46, 3/61, and 1/12 respectively. Sure, I understand that the acceptances to interviewed ratios are probably better, but nevertheless, schools such as Boston and Dartmouth have matriculation to interviewed ratios of 10/73 and 8/67 which seems like a much better probability of acceptance.

I see Boston and Dartmouth recommended all the time, most Canadian applicants have them on their lists

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting a second degree and worried about my prospects at Canadian schools. I'll only be able to apply to a few because of my low first degree GPA. I wanted to start looking at US schools so I can see what their requirements are so I can plan to apply broadly in a couple years. What US schools would you guys say are the most GPA-lenient? I'm hoping to have an overall GPA of 3.5ish but unfotrunately its probably not going to get much better than that:\ With a REALLY strong upward trend though......

Any opinions? (Also open to the idea of applying to DO schools)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Likely, many of them probably end up getting into Ontario achools too

So their class profile on their website says that 3% of their class went to UofT, 1% Mcmaster, 1% McGill, 1% Carleton, 2% Went to Queen's, and 1% went to UBC. Given their class size of 100, that means that 9 of their students went to Canadian undergraduate schools (From the 2019 class). Yet MSAR says that only 1 international student matriculated there last year. So are all of these students U.S. Citizens, or are they reporting Canadian students as Out of State to the MSAR? (For Oakland)

Hello guys, I am not sure if this was already updated in this thread. But, I will just post a message I got from TMDSAS.

I guess no medical schools in Texas accept Canadians anymore ;(

As indicated on our website, the following medical schools will only review and consider for admissions applicants who are U.S. citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

·         UT Southwestern Medical Center

·         UT Medical Branch at Galveston

·         UT School of Medicine at San Antonio

·         UT Health Science Center in Houston

·         UT Austin Dell Medical School

·         Texas A&M Health Science Center, College of Medicine

·         Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

·         Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

The medical school listed below will review and consider for admissions international applicants, U.S. citizens and legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

·         University of North Texas - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Hello guys, I am not sure if this was already updated in this thread. But, I will just post a message I got from TMDSAS.

I guess no medical schools in Texas accept Canadians anymore ;(

As indicated on our website, the following medical schools will only review and consider for admissions applicants who are U.S. citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

·         UT Southwestern Medical Center

·         UT Medical Branch at Galveston

·         UT School of Medicine at San Antonio

·         UT Health Science Center in Houston

·         UT Austin Dell Medical School

·         Texas A&M Health Science Center, College of Medicine

·         Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

·         Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

The medical school listed below will review and consider for admissions international applicants, U.S. citizens and legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.:

·         University of North Texas - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

TCOM, the school listed at the bottom - accepted a Canadian this past cycle(had stellar stats), and is a very very strong school. Definitely on par if not better than many MD programs.

So their class profile on their website says that 3% of their class went to UofT, 1% Mcmaster, 1% McGill, 1% Carleton, 2% Went to Queen's, and 1% went to UBC. Given their class size of 100, that means that 9 of their students went to Canadian undergraduate schools (From the 2019 class). Yet MSAR says that only 1 international student matriculated there last year. So are all of these students U.S. Citizens, or are they reporting Canadian students as Out of State to the MSAR? (For Oakland)

MSAR is thus incorrect. 

I know  of the Canadian from UBC at Oakland. The schools website is much more accurate, and almost all of those that went to Canadian schools are in fact Canadians. No dual citizens, except 1 if my information is correct.

Canadians are being reported as Out-of-State

TCOM, the school listed at the bottom - accepted a Canadian this past cycle(had stellar stats), and is a very very strong school. Definitely on par if not better than many MD programs.

I just got the message today from TMDSAS. I guess I need to contact with them later :S

About what? They clearly stated TCOM in fact does accept international applicants.

I asked TMDSAS about the medical schools accepting Canadians. And that was the message I got it from them yesterday. Just like any other academic counsellor, they are very prone to make errors. I am planning to contact with the schools individually soon.

I asked TMDSAS about the medical schools accepting Canadians. And that was the message I got it from them yesterday. Just like any other academic counsellor, they are very prone to make errors. I am planning to contact with the schools individually soon.

The fact that TCOM accepts Canadians is not an error...that message from TMDSAS confirms that. 

Or are you unsure if the other Texas schools don't take Canadians?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Is there an updated list of Canadian friendly US medical schools? 

2. Also, how do Canadian students meet reference letter requirements especially from 2-3 professors of Science faculty or pre-med commitee.

Canadian Universities typically don't have pre-med committee  and professors have 100s of students, if not thousand, they don't know student personally, so it is very difficult to get reference letters.

Even if students do research, it will be under one professor but some US medical schools are asking for reference letters from 2-3 science professors or pre-med committee.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I was just wondering if you apply in June but only write the MCAT later (in August) if your chances would be greatly diminished. Do your apps stay on hold until they receive your mcat scores?

Generally yes, they wont be looked at without MCAT scores. So yes, you would be worse off with such a late MCAT.