Premed 101 Forums

List of US Schools Accepting Canadians

The Law

I think its also important to add that no matter how citizen neutral the school is. Statistics still favour an American acceptance over an international acceptance.

To add on Duke also declares that they do not look at citizenship.

depends on the school.

when a school says they dont favour by residence or citizenship, they do mean it. usually at such schools you see very high % of intl acceptees compared to US % acceptees post-interview. don't know which stats you're talking about. but americans tend to get accepted to their state schools and subsequently withdraw, giving the intls more of a shot.

see - wsu, suny upstate, jmc, howard, and others

on another hand, there are schools that explicitly say ''we accept about 1-2 internationals a year'' or ''there is preference for US nationals''. then yea, what you're saying applies.

depends on the school.

when a school says they dont favour by residence or citizenship, they do mean it. usually at such schools you see very high % of intl acceptees compared to US % acceptees post-interview. don't know which stats you're talking about. but americans tend to get accepted to their state schools and subsequently withdraw, giving the intls more of a shot.

see - wsu, suny upstate, jmc, howard, and others

on another hand, there are schools that explicitly say ''we accept about 1-2 internationals a year'' or ''there is preference for US nationals''. then yea, what you're saying applies.

Statistics ALWAYS favour US citizens. Do your research and come back later.

Back up your statements with evidence.

Link MSAR or stats.

+1 for Bannie on this one (not that he needs to be defended :P )

US schools favour their own citizens, even private schools. There are "Canadian friendly" schools who accept a proportionally higher number of Canadians than other schools, BUT Canadians often need much higher MCAT, higher GPA scores, outstanding ECs, etc. in comparison to the US applicants.

I think the reason for this is because US citizens are more likely to stay in the US and practice, whereas Canadian citizens have a higher chance of returning to Canada...so med schools don't want to give too many spots to int'l students (since there's a higher chance of them leaving), and then that will reduce the number of spots available for US citizens (who will likely stay in US and practice). However, I have no evidence, but it's just my two cents.

+1 for Bannie on this one (not that he needs to be defended :P )

US schools favour their own citizens, even private schools. There are "Canadian friendly" schools who accept a proportionally higher number of Canadians than other schools, BUT Canadians often need much higher MCAT, higher GPA scores, outstanding ECs, etc. in comparison to the US applicants.

I think the reason for this is because US citizens are more likely to stay in the US and practice, whereas Canadian citizens have a higher chance of returning to Canada...so med schools don't want to give too many spots to int'l students (since there's a higher chance of them leaving), and then that will reduce the number of spots available for US citizens (who will likely stay in US and practice). However, I have no evidence, but it's just my two cents.

+1. Probs why Cdn schools for the most part don't take in int'ls.

It's really weird. A big reason I applied to the U.S was because they appreciated high MCAT scores (as opposed to "let's assume every school is equal in difficulty" GPA). With today, however, I realize that there are actually MANY MANY schools in Canada that seem to strongly prefer applicants with high MCAT scores (I say Canada, not Ontario. Infer the reason why!). I say this because, despite the so called "MCAT preference" of the U.S., my interview rate was much higher in Canada (~50%) than the U.S. (~25%). I have a feeling the acceptance rate will be higher as well, partially because it seems, for non-Americans, a non-negligible part of your interview score is whether or not they are convinced you would choose the U.S. over Canada.

In conclusion, yeah we aren't considered equal to them. (and anyone who has a high MCAT from Ontario should reaaaaaaaally consider applying OOP... specifically, look west, not east)

It's really weird. A big reason I applied to the U.S was because they appreciated high MCAT scores (as opposed to "let's assume every school is equal in difficulty" GPA). With today, however, I realize that there are actually MANY MANY schools in Canada that seem to strongly prefer applicants with high MCAT scores (I say Canada, not Ontario. Infer the reason why!). I say this because, despite the so called "MCAT preference" of the U.S., my interview rate was much higher in Canada (~50%) than the U.S. (~25%). I have a feeling the acceptance rate will be higher as well, partially because it seems, for non-Americans, a non-negligible part of your interview score is whether or not they are convinced you would choose the U.S. over Canada.

In conclusion, yeah we aren't considered equal to them. (and anyone who has a high MCAT from Ontario should reaaaaaaaally consider applying OOP... specifically, look west, not east)

You need to specifically show interest in their school, not so much whether you would choose the US over Canada.

You need to specifically show interest in their school, not so much whether you would choose the US over Canada.

jc5555. you are canadiannnnn.. look at meeeee... i cant apply to ANY schools in Ontario. cept for 2.... and they dont even take internationals... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

its like CALI. its like CALIIIIIIIIIII!

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an alternative list of schools that you can assume are Canadian friendly.This list is very conservative. I started with the schools that I personally know are Canadian friendly (because either someone here or someone I know interviewed there) and we can add to it from there. However it is entirely possible that there are schools missing, so do your own research! (Also please PM me or a mod if you have more info to add, especially re: financial aid and escrows).

Black – PM101 certified Canadian friendly. You will likely still be at a disadvantage compared to American applicants, but they do accept Canadians.

Red – require at least 1 year's tuition in escrow prior to matriculation

Orange – will only take international students who have completed some undergraduate coursework in the US

Green – offers financial aid and/or merit scholarships to Canadians

Grey – should be Canadian friendly based on MSAR/USNews international statistics, but can’t be directly verified

California: the two top UCs have varying histories wrt accepting international students. They both screen for secondaries however. Stanford like all other private top tiers is citizenship-neutral.

Loma Linda - SDA (or compatible belief systems) only!

UCLA

UCSF

Stanford

Connecticut:

University of Connecticut

Yale

DCish:

Georgetown

George Washington

Georgia:

Emory

Hawaii

Hawaii

Illinois:

University of Chicago – Pritzker

Northwestern

Rosalind Franklin

Kentucky:

University of Kentucky

Louisiana:

Tulane

Maryland:

Johns Hopkins

University of Maryland

Massachusetts:

Boston University

Harvard

Tufts

Michigan:

Michigan State

Wayne State

Minnesota:

Mayo Medical School

University of Minnesota

Missouri

Saint Louis University

Washington University at St Louis

New Hampshire:

Dartmouth

New York:

Albany

Albert Einstein (Yeshiva)

Columbia

Cornell

New York Medical College

New York University

Mount Sinai

SUNY Upstate

Stonybrook

North Carolina:

Duke

University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

Wake Forest University

Ohio:

Case Western Reserve

Pennysvlania:

Jefferson

University of Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State University

Rhode Island:

Brown – effectively, since there are so few places for students not already enrolled in their BS/MD program

Tennessee:

Vanderbilt

Meharry

Texas: note, you cannot apply to Texas schools through AMCAS. You must apply through their own dedicated application service, TMDSAS.

Baylor

UT Medical Branch @ Galveston

UT Southwestern

Virginia:

Virginia Commonwealth University

EVMS

Wisconsin:

Medical College of Wisconsin

Bump. Plus I wanted to add that applicants may want to visit this site: http://www.naahp.org/resources_InternatMed_Article_June09.htm . Take it with a grain of salt because it is a little bit out of date, but likely still gives a fairly accurate picture.

I was looking into some schools in Indiana and I know that Ball State, IU, and Purdue all accepted Canadians for Med programs. I like Ball State because you get to work in a hospital right next to the dorms, and the only real difference between US and Canadian health care seems to be the health insurance, but it's good to study in another country.

I was looking into some schools in Indiana and I know that Ball State, IU, and Purdue all accepted Canadians for Med programs. I like Ball State because you get to work in a hospital right next to the dorms, and the only real difference between US and Canadian health care seems to be the health insurance, but it's good to study in another country.

Bad Post! WTF? Purdue nor Ball State even have med programs.

• 5 weeks later...

You can cross Albany Medical College off the list of schools taking Canadians. I have confirmed with their admissions that they have implemented a new policy for the 2011 admission year that non US citizens are ineligible.

Has anyone become aware of any change in policy at large in US medical schools making non US citizens ineligible?

• 2 weeks later...
You can cross Albany Medical College off the list of schools taking Canadians. I have confirmed with their admissions that they have implemented a new policy for the 2011 admission year that non US citizens are ineligible.

Has anyone become aware of any change in policy at large in US medical schools making non US citizens ineligible?

Ah damn it.

I guess I should go invest myself a copy of MSAR this year...time is flying way too fast for all these changes!

• 3 weeks later...

Am I mistaken?

Look at this, directly from their website

"Canadian Citizen Admission

Q: I am a Canadian citizen. Do I have a chance of being admitted to CHM?

A: Yes, Canadian citizens are considered non-Michigan residents by the Committee on Admissions for purposes of admission. However, with the significant increase in the number of applications received, as well as giving preference to in-state applicants, you would need to be an exceptional applicant who would enhance the school, class, or profession.

A competitive Canadian citizen should fit CHM's mission. A major emphasis of the mission is to educate physicians who desire to become excellent, compassionate primary care physicians who are dedicated to lifelong learning and are willing to work with the underserved in rural or inner city areas within Michigan. Applicants need to have demonstrated their passion for medicine with a history of community service and clinical experience. Competitive Canadian citizens should have MCAT scores of 9-10 (O-P) or higher in each category as well as a cumulative science GPA of 3.50 or better.

Q: Does CHM accept premedical course requirements taken at Canadian colleges or universities?

A: We will accept courses from accredited Canadian universities that belong to the Association of University and Colleges of Canada. A one-year Canadian course is recognized as fulfilling our one-year course requirement, if a lab component is included with the science requirements. We consider Grade 13 OAC English along with writing-intensive courses toward the fulfillment of our English/Writing requirement.

Q: I am a Canadian citizen. Am I eligible for financial aid?

A: With regard to financial aid, Canadian citizens are considered foreign applicants. Accepted Canadian applicants are expected to secure their own financial assistance. For information about funding in Canada, we suggest starting with CanLearn, Canada's Education Savings and Student Financial Aid Resource."

• 1 month later...
what about Indiana and Ohio State??

I don't believe there has been a policy change for Indiana (they accepted Canadians last year). Though there is only one med program in Indiana, so if you don't have ties to the state, chances are slim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I just hung out with some of my old med school friends from the US and they are saying a bunch of new schools (MD) are opening up in the US in anticipation of US health reform. One of these schools (Oakland University in MI) is accepting students for the entering class of 2011. Canadians are accepted as noted on their website.

Hi guys, I just hung out with some of my old med school friends from the US and they are saying a bunch of new schools (MD) are opening up in the US in anticipation of US health reform. One of these schools (Oakland University in MI) is accepting students for the entering class of 2011. Canadians are accepted as noted on their website.

Thanks for letting us know.

I did some research and its OOS tuition is around $40,000. Its in Michigan, close to home! The school is connected with Beaumont hospital, which is in the Top 50 hospitals ranked by US News. The first class will have 50 students. They will interview 300 students. There is a "webinar" on Thurs., Aug 26. Maybe I will signup...

Only problem is that on their FAQ page, it says preference is given to US citizens.

I am an international student. Can I apply?

Applicants must be U.S. citizens, Canadian citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Preference is given to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Applicants who did not attend U.S. or Canadian schools should complete at least one year, preferably two, in residence at an accredited college in North America.

I will let y'all know if they are indeed friendly to us... :)