Premed 101 Forums

Where do I learn about the Canadian Health Care System?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello! There are two questions in the stickied interview prep conglomeration (thanks for that, by the way, very helpful!) which inquire about the changes in the university life (#13) and healthcare system (#14) in Canada over the last 40-50 years. I was caught off guard by the questions' inquiries into 'now' and 'then' comparisons, and I feel quite incapable of answering them in any concrete way. All I could think of was the affect of the internet and better technology, but I don't want to miss something obvious. I'd be extremely thankful for any imput!

Jordy,

I have quoted the Questions (below) for you so that the readership understands what you are referring to.

13. In his recent novel ‘I am Charlotte Simmons’, Tom Wolfe bases on life at a typical university in North America. He develops various characters and describes their lives, surroundings, beliefs, and moral behaviour while they are at the university. Wolfe acknowledges that it is 40 years since he himself was a student at university. Consequently, his children, currently at university, read the drafts of the book as it was been written and ensured that the descriptions associated with life at this fictitious university were appropriate for the modern day. What changes to the original script do you think Wolfe’s children made?

14. Imagine your friend’s father is 70 years old and has lived in Edmonton his whole life. He is taken to the emergency department at the University of Alberta Hospital. He has had good health until now and this is the first time he has been to hospital of any kind since he was 20 years old. What changes in the healthcare system and environment in the hospital do you think he would notice?

10char.......

Jordy,

I have quoted the Questions (below) for you so that the readership understands what you are referring to.

13. In his recent novel ‘I am Charlotte Simmons’, Tom Wolfe bases on life at a typical university in North America. He develops various characters and describes their lives, surroundings, beliefs, and moral behaviour while they are at the university. Wolfe acknowledges that it is 40 years since he himself was a student at university. Consequently, his children, currently at university, read the drafts of the book as it was been written and ensured that the descriptions associated with life at this fictitious university were appropriate for the modern day. What changes to the original script do you think Wolfe’s children made?

- Don't really understand what this question is asking...

14. Imagine your friend’s father is 70 years old and has lived in Edmonton his whole life. He is taken to the emergency department at the University of Alberta Hospital. He has had good health until now and this is the first time he has been to hospital of any kind since he was 20 years old. What changes in the healthcare system and environment in the hospital do you think he would notice?

- Less paternalistic behaviour

- More responsibilities to nurses and non-physician health care professionals

- More sophisticated technology

- More female physicians

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I get that medicare is a provincial thing, regulated by the federal legislation (Canada Health Act).

But I don't understand this: If you're an Ontario resident and say need medical care while you are at, say, BC. Will OHIP medical care cover this? Will you have to pay for it first, and then later claim that amount from Ontario?

I want to know what kind of limitations (if any) in health care one may face if one is out of province. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff?

So, I get that medicare is a provincial thing, regulated by the federal legislation (Canada Health Act).

But I don't understand this: If you're an Ontario resident and say need medical care while you are at, say, BC. Will OHIP medical care cover this? Will you have to pay for it first, and then later claim that amount from Ontario?

I want to know what kind of limitations (if any) in health care one may face if one is out of province. Does anyone know where I can find this stuff?

Not 100% sure but I think BC health services (or whatever their version of OHIP is called) will just bill OHIP....

"Services in Other Canadian Provinces and Territories

Most of your Ontario health coverage benefits can be used across Canada. The province or territory you are visiting will usually bill Ontario directly. If you have to pay for health services you receive in another part of Canada, you can submit your receipts to your local ministry office to be considered for reimbursement.

Prescription drugs from pharmacies, home care services, ambulance services and long-term care services provided in other provinces and territories are not covered."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
"Services in Other Canadian Provinces and Territories

Most of your Ontario health coverage benefits can be used across Canada. The province or territory you are visiting will usually bill Ontario directly. If you have to pay for health services you receive in another part of Canada, you can submit your receipts to your local ministry office to be considered for reimbursement.

Prescription drugs from pharmacies, home care services, ambulance services and long-term care services provided in other provinces and territories are not covered."

As someone spending a summer in BC originally from Ontario, this is correct. Except for Quebec. The clinic staff told me QC is the only odd one when it comes to billing out of province.

• 5 months later...

health, illness, and health care in canada is good, be careful though, it's a sociology book and kinda a bit impartial... lol

Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody could let me know where I can learn more about the Canadian Health Care system. I want to start learning about it before interview offers arrive.

Thanks in advance:)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does Canada have medicaid? Is Canada's medicare the same as the US's medicare? I know I probably don't need to know this for the MMI I'm just curious.

No. Canada has what is in common parlance known as 'medicare', but it is very different from the american system of the same name.

In the US: Medicaid and Medicare are both ways of helping insure people who may have a hard time getting insured, but they target different populations. Medicaid is generally based on age (mostly seniors), and some specific disabilities. Medicare is aimed primarily at families with low income. Essentially, Medicare is actual insurance, while Medicaid is just an assistance program.

In Canada, what we refer to as 'Medicare' is really just our overall healthcare system, which is federally funded and guarantees 100% of residents are insured.

• 4 months later...

jmatt1122 - yeah I read that book. I found quite good reading! He's a great writer and really makes the information easy to follow instead of just having a dry academic discussion.

Another book, not about the canadian healthcare system, but quite interesting in terms of what goes on in the states regarding big pharma and questionable bioethics is Carl Elliott's "White coat black hat". Great writer, really good read. Kinda made my blood boil, but seriously, good book.

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...