Premed 101 Forums

Cardiology!

ffp

It is great you are planning ahead.

For now, just breath and forget about cardiology and focus on what it is you want to do for the next 3-4 years of your life. Because realistically you won't even be applying for cardiology for almost another decade.

Choose an undergraduate program that interests you and is in a location you will like (for whatever reason be it proximity to family, or nearby activities etc). Your biggest issue now is not choosing your medical SUB-specialty but rather your undergraduate program. Do you want arts, basic sciences, applied sciences? That's the big fork in the road right now.

Most program are going to have a pretty general first year anyway, with maybe a couple of electives/selectives. So most science degrees are going to have a first year that includes bio, chem, physics, calculus (or some form of math) and electives, regardless of whether you choose to pursue microbiology, zoology, chemistry etc.

There will be numerous info sessions in your first year of undergrad you can attend on how to apply to medical school. So the next focus after choosing your undergrad is just getting into medical school, nevermind what your specialty or subspecialty will be.

MCAT seems like pretty basic material that would be covered in first year in most programs (maybe if you choose arts you'll have to be sure to pick the right electives). But I never wrote the darn thing, so I can't really comment. Again, though, something you can sort out in first year of undergrad.

Alot can change in a decade including your interests, the application process, job prospects etc. Focussing on cardiology at one institution puts you at risk of missing the forest through the trees! Try and enjoy undergrad and keep an open mind. You will end up somewhere you were meant to be!

To be honest, my school guidance is no help. Basically they just dump all the information on us and expect us to know everything related to universities. I did all research myself by going to the university, but they were no help either. When I went to the university the guy photocopied me a page related medicine(that showed the courses to be taken for Bachelor of science degree). When I told him that I am going into medicine and would like to go to this school if I pass the MCAT exam, all he said was,"you should research online and ask those who are in this profession". That is why I have so many questions, but I was unable to briefly ask them. I am sorry I didn't clarify my questions. I am trying to this all by myself, for example finding information, talking to others for guidance. I have been to the university few times, and each time they tell me same thing or tell me to ask it in school. And when I go to school, they say the best way is to ask the university itself. I am fed up with going back and forth every week. That is why I joined this website to find more information so I could be directed on the right path :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived