Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

TIME STAMP: 3:30 pm (ish)

Result: Accepted to London campus!!

Interview: On the second last day of interviews, can't remember the date.

Program: MD

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 12/11/12

ECs: some research (fourth year thesis and summer volunteer- no pubs), pretty extensive volunteering at community organizations (my main ECs), club leadership, some shadowing

Interview: I was really excited right after; got a bunch of laughs and smiles. But as the weeks progressed I really tore myself up over some of the answers I gave.

Year: Graduated UG in 2013. Worked for the last year (not anything science related)

Geography: Non-SWOMEN

Being my only interview, I am accepting!! I was wait-listed at two schools last year, so I'm just insanely excited. Hoping everyone else the best, either this year (hopefully!) or in future years.

Result: Acceptance

MCAT: 11/11/12

cGPA: 3.7

ECs: fairly standard: volunteering (med-related and non-med related), various work experience, research, sports, etc - all activities I enjoyed doing

Year: completed UG

Geography : NON-SWOMEN

TIME STAMP: 3:38 PM

Result: High-waitlist

Interview: Sunday March 2nd

GPA: 1 year at 3.97 (my previous two years are only 29 credits [i go to McGill] so this would have been conditional acceptance)

MCAT: 11/10/12/S (PS/VR/BS/WS)

ECs: well-rounded extracurriculars with extensive volunteering, some work experience (focus on teaching), leadership roles, some research - about average for these forums

Interview: I clicked well with two of my interviewers but not the third. I thought I answered the questions thoughtfully and gave good personal examples to support my thought process.

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: SWOMEN

I was a bit surprised that I didn't get an acceptance based on the good stats for SWOMENs and a perceived strong interview. The fact I was going for conditional acceptance combined with a relatively low MCAT may have been it though. Congratulations to all those accepted :)

TIME STAMP:

Result: Good news! *(Offer)

Interview: Last interview day

GPA: 3.92 (best 2)

MCAT: PS/VR/BS/WS 13/10/12/na

ECs: Lots of research (since 2nd year, full-time summer, NSERC, research exchange at UBC, 3rd author in intl journal, couple conferences), long term work with a charity group that lead to an exec position/board of directors, mentoring, TAing.

Interview: Felt really good. Went over alotted time just chatting with the panel.

Year: Finished UG (gap year)

SWOMEN? : Yes

Result: offer of admission at an unspecified campus (declined)

MCAT: 10PS/11VR/12BS

2 year GPA: 3.82; my cGPA was 3.28, so keep at it if you don't start strong

Extracurriculars: This was a stronger part of my application. Over 7 years volunteering with several local non profits in both front-line and board roles. I chose activities that I was passionate about and that utilized and developed my skills and abilities.

Year: working as a lab manager for 2 years. Have my MSc. Publication count was 2 first authored and 5 co-authored papers at the time of submission.

Interview feel: the panel was incredibly warm. I found it difficult to assess my performance in retrospect since the interview was so fluid. I tried extra hard to contextualize and substantiate my responses with examples from my life experiences since I knew that the interview was a closed file.

Result: Accepted (London)

Interview Date: dont remember

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 12/11/12

ECs: some research, some clubs

Interview: Very cold panel, thought it went badly but I guess not.

Year: 4th year Western undergrad

Geography: NON-SWOMEN

TIME STAMP: 3:40 PM

Result: Waitlisted (will remove my name)

wGPA: 3.89 (3.86 and 3.91)

MCAT: 13/11/12

Interview: Felt really good about it, up untill the last 3 minutes when I asked a question that sounded REALLY awkward when I heard it myself lol

Year: UG completed 2012

TIME STAMP: 3:40 PM

Result: Accepted

wGPA: 3.89 (only a single year, conditional upon maintaining 3.70 this year)

MCAT: 14/13/14

Interview: Felt really good

Year: 4th

Western is definitely one of my top choices, so I don't know if I am going to decline or not. Conditional on my acceptance to U of A

Waitlisted ---I don't know whether it is high or not?

Top 2 years: 3.9 one year, and current year will be counted when it is done

MCAT: PS- 12 VR- 12 BS- 14

ECs: Lots of long term leadership in athletics, dancing, leadership positions for various initiatives, a lot of work with children and some research with 1 abstract and 1 publication

Interview: felt very relaxed, and comfortable. I thought it had gone great.

congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting

Sorry, a little late to the party.

Timestamp: 3pm-ish

GPA: One year conditional at 3.72

MCAT: VR 9 / PS 11 / BS 12

EC's: Decent. Worked 2 summers in research labs and did a thesis. Pretty involved in university community, various groups, clubs etc... Nothing crazy excessive but I wouldn't say my EC's were minimal either.

Interview: Thought it went well, but you never really know I guess until decision day.

Honestly didn't think I was going to get an offer cuz of the low GPA and MCAT, pretty much barely just met minimums. Pretty shocked when I got the e-mail and still kind of stunned haha. I guess the interview must matter a ton and it went better then I thought. To all the people who don't have huge GPA's and MCAT scores, remember marks aren't everything.

Result: Accepted (London)

CGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 11/11/12

ECs: research heavy, undergrad and graduate awards, several publications, conferences, long term (> 2ys) local volunteering in different roles, exec member in several clubs, some atypical jobs.

Year: Finishing up MSc

NON-SWOMEN

Interview: Felt great, I really enjoyed talking to my interviewers and the students. It was probably my best interview out of all the interviews I had.

Accepted (also accepted at Toronto, queens, and Calgary)

First time applying, only applied to Calgary and Ontario since I don't meet most of the course requirements for other schools.

Interview Date: March 10th, 2014; I didn't like the interview. Some questions I thought was weird and there were way too many. Even the interviewers seemed really worn out by the end of it.

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: verbal -11, Phy -12, Bio -13

ECs: Very heavily involved with one organization. Worked in engineering jobs.

Year: UG

Geography: Alberta

I did an Engineering degree in Alberta, and have worked in engineering companies. I didn't decide on medicine until recently, so I didn't have much research experience nor hospital volunteer experience, but pursued other interests I'm passionate about. Looks like it worked out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

better late than never...

TIME STAMP: 2014-05-13 1:59 PM

Campus: London

cGPA: 3.8

wGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 12/12/14

ECs: several longer term volunteering and club involvements,TA, couple of activities related to public health, etc.

Year: finishing MSc

Geography: non-SWOMEN

Interview: did NOT feel good about it. I felt more nervous than I thought I would, and I was a little flustered in a couple of questions because of it. But I think the majority of the answers were alright, and I was able to naturally mention a fair amount of my experiences. Spent the next month going over every answer and how I said it.

Tl;Dr you can't gauge how you did based on how you feel.

Accepted the offer, and can't wait to start!:)

Posting for a friend, good luck to those on waitlist!

TIME STAMP: 3ish (phone call), May 30th

Result: Accepted off high waitlist to London

Interview Date: Mar 29

cGPA: 3.81

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 12PS/11VR/12BS

ECs: Not very impressive; research, peer teacher, bit of volunteering. Unusual life story (excuse the narcissism).

Interview: Walked out feeling like it was the end of the world. Reflecting on it: 1/3 was good, 1/3 was decent, and 1/3 was awful.

Year: Graduated UG

Geography : non-SWOMEN

Second cycle. Went from no interviews last year to one interview this year. If I can get in, there is hope for all.

Will be taking the offer. Good luck to those still on the list.

TIMESTAMP: June 3rd (today) 9:30 a.m.

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 32R (11/10/11)

ECs: Pretty good, a few intramurals, several years of ballet, triathlon, teaching grade 1 german school, volunteering at my church, philanthropy coordinator for a student group on campus, relay for life, working at my dad's office, volunteering in the emergency room for 2 years, research in a biomechanics lab for 2 summers and part time during the year

Interview: Not that great, felt pretty awkward and nervous. It was my first ever interview

Sooooo excited omg can't stop smiling :)

Timestamp: 11:20am

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 36 (11 11 14)

EC's: average but involvement since very young age. Hospital experience, university of Guelph first response team, research with no pubs, heart and stroke foundation, intramurals

interview: felt okay after but less sure as time passed. I don't believe I really did myself justice because I was so nervous.

SWOMEN

Good luck to everyone still waiting, my offer was for the Windsor campus!

TIME STAMP: ~1 pm

Result: Accepted off normal waitlist to Windsor

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 10PS/12VR/13BS

ECs: Some research, a a few conferences, bunch of EC's, volunteer and leadership positions

Interview: I thought it went ok, could have done better on a few of the questions

Year: 4th yr UG

Geography : non-SWOMEN

Most likely will decline in favour of McMaster.

Edit: just declined my offer. Good luck to those still on the waitlist :)

TIME STAMP: 12:53 pm

Result: Accepted off normal waitlist to Windsor

wGPA: 3.91

cGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 14/13/11

ECs: Two summer research positions (NSERC for one, no publications), one conference (poster presentation), TA position, senior thesis project. Intramural and high school sports. Volunteering was minimal, two week shadowing experience last summer, peer mentoring, physics help room.

Interview: I felt really good about it, made most of the panel smile and laugh at the end. Felt a little shaky about the answers to one or two questions but who doesn't.

Year: 4th year

Will be accepting the offer! I was just reading this particular thread when I got the call, my heart was beating out of my chest and I could barely think straight. Very happy right now!

Sorry, a bit late posting this

TIME STAMP: 1:37 pm, Tuesday June 3

Result: acceptance to Windsor campus- off normal waitlist

GPA: 3.9 one year, and this past year which i just finished, hence conditional

MCAT: PS- 12 VR- 12 BS- 14

ECs: Lots of long term leadership in athletics (founded a non-profit league/association, lots of coaching and training), dancing (competitive and leisurely), leadership/founding positions for various clubs, tutoring, peer mentoring, hospital volunteering, a lot of work with children and some research with 1 abstract and 1 publication

Year: Final year of second undergrad

Interview: felt amazing, very smooth

It was the best feeling in the world receiving the call, since I was almost convinced that I was going to have to move to saskatchewan since that was my only offer! Very thankful for this opportunity, and I just want to say hanggg on for the remaining waitlisters. I know it seems impossible, but the game is not over, have hope! Good luck to all and cannot wait to meet everyone!