Premed 101 Forums
Guest Ian Wong

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

3 hours ago, TClooney said:

Did anyone get located at a campus that was not their first choice? Or does it just say unspecified for everyone that might be in this position? 

I specified London as my first choice and currently have an unspecified location. Would love to go to London campus but if I can not guarantee that this will be the case I will be taking my offer with Mac, no offense to Windsor natives. 

I was faced with this choice myself last year (between several schools that I considered pretty equal, but was given unspecified campus at Western). I was told afterwards that almost everyone who gets unspecified gets London eventually, but not before I had to make my decision. 

Essentially, you have to decide whether what you like about Western (the 4 year program if that's something you like, etc.) outweighs the small chance you could end up in a location you aren't as big a fan of. These choices are super hard (I spent days deliberating), so don't rush it.

Result: Accepted (London Campus)

Timestamp:  May 14 around 10AM

2 yr GPA: 3.96

MCAT:  CARS 129 total 518 

Interview: I felt it could have gone better with regard to a few questions in the middle but I had a very strong start with my introduction + initial questions with some of my more personal experiences and I think that grabbed the interviewers' attention from the get-go. I did not shy from using a traumatic past experience to demonstrate how I grew as a character and chose medicine as a result. Hence, I don't agree how many people on forums strongly discourage people from sharing intimate moments or even calling such applicants "damaged goods" (which is extremely rude, judgmental, and insensitive). It's all about how you present your story. If you want to sob and hope they pity accept you then you will not get in. I stayed composed at my interview although I cried many times during mock interviews because of how traumatic it was for me to recall the whole incident. But on interview day I wanted to show them I truly grew from my past and what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger and even more ready to accept the challenges of medicine. And they resonated.

CanMEDS are always good references but sometimes it is impossible to cover all of them in the span of one interview. I think it's more important to be genuine instead of polished. The interview is meant to show the human side of you, not the robotic stat side of you. 

My EC's were heavily community-service focused including servicing many underprivileged populations in my local community. That gave me a lot of material to expand on during the interview (and perhaps contributed to my lack of interviews at UofT, Queens, and Ottawa, yikes since I didn't have the most leadership and research). 

I hope this information proves to be helpful without breaching confidentiality of the interview (I understand I am not supposed to and will not leak questions + content) - mods if that is the case please let me know and I will abridge it. 

Geography: IP, Non-SWOMEN

Already firmly accepted the offer on OMSAS.

Result: high waitlist - will likely be removing myself for Queens!

Timestamp: May 14 8:55AM

2 yr GPA: ~3.9

MCAT:  130/128/131/129

InterviewFelt SO bad, was positive I'd get much worse news from Western, I was only in the room for 35/45 minutes and I knew some of my answers were rambling and poorly thought out... I could see the marks that one of the members of my panel was giving me which really threw me off! 

Geography: non-SWOMEN

Result: High Waitlist, EDIT: Accepted on May 30th!

2 yr GPA: 3.96

MCAT:  130/128/132

Interview: honestly really convoluted question stems at times but a very friendly panel experience! Had a great time overall in spite of a few hiccups here and there! 

Geography: IP, Non-SWOMEN

2 hours ago, Rabeprazole said:

As the application system has changed for Western, so should the way these are reported. There needs to be a greater emphasis on ECs reported as they now have become a greater factor in getting into this school.

good point I think - we will have to encourage full disclosure with the changing times!

Edited by rmorelan

Result: accepted (London campus)

Timestamp: May 14, 9:52AM

2 yr GPA: 3.85

MCAT:  128/129/128 (Chem, CARS, Bio)

InterviewFelt good coming out of the interview. Really connected well with the community panel member. The doctor "challenged" me several times by asking me a lot of follow ups or just asking a completely off-handed question (the doctor literally asked how do you think we can improve Indigenous health, fairly out of the blue, and it was not a interview question). The weeks after the interview felt like hell, though. Kept on second-guessing my performance and getting vivid PTSD-like flashes of the interview.

Geography: non-SWOMEN

Do most wait list people who get accepted end up at the Windsor campus? Since the people who got Windsor but didn't want it get moved to the London Campus over the people on wait-list who requested London?

I'll make a late addition to the results as I try to stave off anxiety during the long wait...

Result: High Waitlist

Timestamp: May 14, 8:55am

2 yr GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 126/132/127/130

Interview: I felt that my interview went fairly well. Overall, I think I connected with the panel and didn't have any major blunders. However, there were a few questions where I could have done better, which might be reflective of where I've ended up. Specifically, I think I did better on the more situational or ethics-based types of questions. Despite having some unique EC's, I don't think I did enough to highlight them when given the chance. I probably could have created more explicit links between my EC's and success in medicine, but it's tough to tell how much of a factor that was. Aside from those general thoughts, there was one question where I strongly feel I weakened my chance at an outright offer. Without giving away specifics, it was a type of question that most applicants could answer in the same way. It was a straightforward question and I quickly answered with a very basic response. With a little more consideration, I could have offered something more compelling. I didn't say anything stupid, but it was definitely boring and predictable. At this point, I assume small differences can result in very different outcomes for applicants.

Geography: SWOMEN

EC's: with the greater emphasis on EC's, I'll share the main activities I submitted in my application

- Six years as a stepfather, father, and husband (emphasized the teamwork and leadership necessary to keep a family running from day to day)
- Three years teaching anatomy and physiology at the post-secondary level
- Fourteen years as a member of a competitive martial arts team, which included coaching, team training, and competition up to the professional level in mixed martial arts
- Seven years practicing as a registered massage therapist
- Over a year as a foster parent to a teenager

I relied on a smaller number of highly-involved EC's, with a few minor ones that I mentioned during interview. I was very happy with how my aABS turned out and hoped to use my EC's as a strength during interview. I don't think I quite succeeded, but hopefully it's brought me far enough for an offer off the waitlist.

Result: Accepted to Windsor from High Waitlist (declined in favour of McMaster)

Timestamp: received call on May 30

2 yr GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 131/130/129/132

Interview: was my first med interview and it was terrible - I was internally cringing at everything I said. Finished the interview in 30 min, a full 15 min earlier than anyone else, thought it was for sure a reject.

Geography: non-SWOMAN

ECs: several long term commitments, many music-related ECs, work, student council, community leadership. Nothing amazing, but I'm proud of my aABS and think I was able to highlight my values and my contributions. They also helped for interview questions for sure.