Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Regular Wait List

First time applying

NON-SWOMEN

cGPA: 3.79

One year GPA: 3.93 (Would have been conditional but this year was 3.94)

MCAT: BS 15, PS 13, VR 11, WS Q

ECs: 4 yrs Varsity Football, 2 yrs research (no pub), 1 yr Best Buddies, some other minor ECs

Interview: Thought it went pretty well. My first and only med school interview but felt pretty confident.

High Waitlist

cGPA: 3.81

2 best year:3.83

SWOMEN

MCAT: 10/9/11/Q

EC: Research (2 pubs), medical clinic volunteering, hospital volunteering, volunteering at other little events

Interview felt pretty good. Not amazing, but not bad. My panel were very friendly and warm which was really calming to me.

Now I wait for a few weeks to get the GLORIOUS call from Pam!!!! fingers crossed!:P:D

Man oh man oh man. I cannot believe I am typing this. i used to read these forums and imagine myself in a similar spot...can't believe its come true.

Accepted - London Campus

Grad degree in-process (course-based)

Top 2 years GPA: 3.88

Non-SWOMEN applicant

MCAT: 33Q (PS-11/VR-11/BS-11)

ECs: Very good. Led a few clubs, some international volunteering, prolonged volunteering with certain organizations, lots of smaller things.

Interviewed at: UWO, Queens, Mac, U of T

Accepted at: ALL!!!

I will most likely be turning down UWO for UofT

Accepted!

wGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 12/12/12/R

Interview: Lots of fun! I thought it went quite well.

ECs: volunteered with adults with developmental disabilities, worked in an immunology lab, tutoring, held a full time job throughout university.

I applied in my 4th year of undergrad.

Accepted to London campus! Long time lurker, first time poster/first time applicant. Very nearly lost my mind waiting for this day.

Time stamp: 8:48:54 am

Top 2 years GPA: 3.94, 3.96

SWOMEN

MCAT: 40S (13PS/12VR/15BS)

Interview: Felt that it went really well.

ECs: long-term part-time employment in rescue/instructor/supervisory role, student government executive, leadership organization executive.

Congrats to all accepted and best of luck to those on the waitlist or trying again next year.

EDIT: just accepted my offer from Schulich and withdrew from Mac. Looking forward to Aug 29!

Interviewed: Western, McMaster

Accepted: Western, McMaster

Accepted to unspecified campus

First time applying to Western, completed BMSc at Western (4th year applicant)

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 14/12/14/S

Interview: Went well. Felt I was prepared. Go over your sketch, align activities with Canmeds roles, have a couple quick-hit examples for each and you should do well. Friendly and relaxed

ECs: Many and varied, mix of long and short term interests, academic and leisure. Advice for future apps: do things you enjoy and draw lessons that you can apply to medicine. Also show that you have explored medicine as a potential career through your ECs.

Non-SWOMEN

Will likely be turning down this offer, best of luck to those waiting

Accepted :)

Top 2 years GPA: 3.90 (2nd) , 3.85 (3rd)

Straight outta SWOMEN

MCAT: 31O (10/11/10)

ECs: Lifeguarding/Teaching Swimming, Sports, Coaching, Research ie NSERC/thesis project, Detox center, other fun stuff.

4th year student, first time applying. All 4 years of undergrad were amazing, lots of fun and hard work both in and out of school. Interview went well, panel was friendly and lots of smiles. I will be accepting this offer. Unreal!!!

Accepted!

Honours Neuro/Psych major, Theatre Minor

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 39Q VR: 12, B: 13, P: 14

Extra-currix: generalist sports activities, NSERC research and other early experiences, a few publications (one first-author), student government/outreach endeavors. Also volunteering in health care both within and outside hospital settings. A few odds and ends.

Totally thought I fudged the interview. I thought that at some point they would take a look at my file/ABS, so didn't feel that I needed to infuse all of the big components into our conversation. In retrospect was kicking myself for omitting some info (particularly any medically related experience). BUT I guess there was merit in focusing on just a few experiences and discussing the details without trying to pack everything in. Oh, and I accidentally spilled water all over the desk at the end in my smooth, smooth exit.

Time stamp 9:01 am

Regular waitlist

Swomen

Best 2 years (3.9 and 3.94)

30Q (PS 10, VR 9, BS 11)

I honestly don't know where I went wrong, I had a great time in the interview and felt like it was like a causal conversation. Either way, I have lost a lot of hope and wonder if I will reapply ever again

Accepted to London Campus, timestamp 8:37am (best email to wake up to... and the office didn't waste any time in the morning haha)

Non-SWOMEN, first time applicant during 4th year UG

GPA (best 2 yrs): 3.82, 3.99

MCAT: 11/12/13/S

ECs: Gave me lots to talk about in my interview! Lots of work and volunteer experience in mental health and disability fields, travel, sports...

Really enjoyed my interview, it was relaxed and friendly, conversational at the end. I was extremely impressed and excited after my experiences at Western, therefore I will be withdrawing from the waitlist at Queen's and declining my offer at Mac. See everyone in the fall!!!!!!!!! :)

Accepted. Time stamp: 8:55am on May 15th.

Just completed 4th year of my undergrad

2-year GPA: 3.89

Non-SWOMEN

MCAT: 34Q (PS 9/ VR 11/ BS 14)

ECs: Average- Some hospital and homeless shelter experience, research, long term band and badminton involvement, retirement home summer job (really helpful for the interview)

I applied to 5 schools in Ontario and a bunch in the U.S.; however, I only managed to get an interview at Western. Super excited and absolutely elated.

• 3 weeks later...

Accepted off regular waitlist, whoohoo! Windsor!

Non-swomen

2 yr GPA: 4.0 and 3.9

MCAT: 36Q (13VR, 10PS, 13BS)

Undergrad at UWO Honours Double Major, currently completing MSc at Mac.

Totally messed up the interview, especially the ethical question. Thought the interview was like an MMI but without the 2 minutes to prep an answer. Guess I didn't do so bad as to not get in :)

Accepted off high waitlist, Windsor!!

Dream come true! I can't wait to meet everyone.

Non-swomen

2 yr GPA: 3.86 (3.84 and 3.88)

MCAT: 33Q (11VR, 11PS, 11BS)

Undergrad at UofT

Extracurriculars: Research (1 abstract), volunteering in hospital clinics, retirement homes, shadowing doctors.

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this goes here, but oh well

Accepted to MD/PhD program

Non-swomen

2 yr GPA: 3.87

cGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 12/12/12/S

4th year undergrad

Extracurriculars: 16 months Research (3 abstracts, 2 poster presentations, 2 non-first author reviews), volunteering in hospital clinics, campus clubs, etc.

• 2 months later...

Accepted!!!!

Timestamp: 9:13 a.m.

Unspecified campus

SWOMEN

2 yr GPA: 3.85 (3.84 and 3.86)

MCAT: 36Q (12/12/12)

Extracurriculars: volunteer research, ESL, international student programs, hospital guide, intramural dodgeball

Interview: Felt like it went really poorly! I actually went home and cried afterwards. So you never know!

Hoping to get Main campus - does anyone know how this gets decided or why its unspecified currently?

I have accepted the offer :) :) :)

Accepted!!!!

Unspecified campus

SWOMEN

2 yr GPA: 3.96/3.93

MCAT: 30Q (10/9/11)

Extracurriculars: Bioeng research, shadowing, lots of volunteering (clinical, day camps), software projects, etc

Good luck to everyone else out there waiting!