Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist Thread

I was admitted with conditions into the MD/PhD program as an OOP. I'm very pleasantly surprised, as I felt that my PhD-interview went roughly. I have to decide now between the MD/PhD program at McGill and another Ontario university. I really hope that you guys who are still waiting will hear good news! As others have said before, hang in there and don't give up if this is your dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to all those accepted.

Just wondering, besides an email saying check minerva and the pdf letter posted in minerva, have anyone received anything else from mcgill regarding enrolment and official mails? It's so different from the other schools, were I get a bunch of letters and instructions, McGill doesn't say anything except a checklist below...I feel it's so unnerving like somehow it can't be real or i'm missing something...

Congrats to all those accepted.

Just wondering, besides an email saying check minerva and the pdf letter posted in minerva, have anyone received anything else from mcgill regarding enrolment and official mails? It's so different from the other schools, were I get a bunch of letters and instructions, McGill doesn't say anything except a checklist below...I feel it's so unnerving like somehow it can't be real or i'm missing something...

Yeah I agree, I haven't gotten anything else! I think we just need to upload the required documents and then there will be more that we hear back in the summer.

Yeah I agree, I haven't gotten anything else! I think we just need to upload the required documents and then there will be more that we hear back in the summer.

Speaking of required docs, does it say anywhere which vaccinations we need? Or do we just upload whatever we currently have, and then figure out what's missing later?

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted to the MD/PhD as an International applicant. I'm currently finishing an Honours in Immunology at McGill. My CGPA was (3.93/4) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (13)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (14)

Written Sample: (S)

Total: 37S

I AM SO EXCITED!!

Congrats to everyone else who got in! And for those who didn't, please please please please please apply again - I know of at least 3 people who applied multiple times and ended up getting in on their 2nd or 3rd try. Don't get discouraged, just try again, every year is very different on what they're looking for!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I was wondering if we know the average GPA for Quebec University students. (In province). Can you guys please share your GPA to get a better idea about the distribution of GPA amongst in province students?

The average is posted on McGill's admission page, it's about 3.80 for MD-ROQ-U :).

• 2 weeks later...
Does every other applicant in the MD-ROQ-C category also see this on Minerva?

Decision Release Date: May 30, 2013

I thought we were supposed to get answers on May 29th...

Yep I got the same over here; I heard Mcgill releases the results usually 24h in advance (so then we would be getting the answer on the 29th)...but this hasn't been officially confirmed.

• 1 year later...

I'm a Quebec resident completing my BSc degree in Physics at McGill university. My CGPA was (3.90/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)
Verbal: (12)
Biological Sciences: (10)

Extracurricular activitives: 

Play four instruments proficiently; highlight - got a scholarship to go to Berklee five week program and placed in the top fusion jazz ensemble and played in 1000+ person concert

Shadowed a few docs (3 different ones, one day each)

Athletics (part of squash club, weightlift, play pickup hockey, used to play team sports before uni)

Got an academic scholarship for good grades (1k)

Got a 4k scholarship from Cystic Fibrosis Canada to do biophysics research this past summer

Did research the two summers before last in a biochem lab, author on one publication in preparation

Zero volunteer hours, minus two weeks I volunteered in the summer of 2010 at a music camp for kids

I was invited for an interview by McGill.This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 46th waitlisted in Quebec University cohort. Honestly, do you think I have good chances?

Does someone know how long is the waitlist for this cohort? How many people are accepted each year in this waitlist?

Thank you and good luck for all.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 46th waitlisted in Quebec University cohort. Honestly, do you think I have good chances?

Does someone know how long is the waitlist for this cohort? How many people are accepted each year in this waitlist?

I'm not sure how much the WL moves (I heard usually ~20-25???), and I'm guessing the WL this year goes up to ~50. The WL is unlikely to reach 46 imo. The most movement will probably occur within the next few days/weeks since decisions from the Ontario and Quebec med schools have just been released last week, so you'll soon get a better idea of where you stand..

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be honest, and I'm sorry if this might sound rude, but the answer is no.

The "positive side" of it is that you won't have to waste your summer waiting for something that won't happen (i.e., receiving an offer of admission). Start planning for the next admission cycle if you didn't get in somewhere/something else.

Could it happen that the WL move up to 46th? Yep. But is it probable, realistic? No. It's unheard of the WL moving this much.

Again, I'm sorry if this sounds rude of anything like that. I always think that being honest is far more valuable than saying what people want to hear and end up giving them false hopes.

I hope this will help.

And as they say on the rejection letters: best of luck in your future endeavours. :)