Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist Thread

Have any non-traditionals been accepted this year outside of the career changer category? Let's say age older than 27?

Hi Gravanshir,

I'm not 100% sure what the career changer category is but I have been accepted this year and am 33 (6 or 7 years out of school - no sure which as memory fails in old age).

I was accepted through the regular stream as I had recently re-taken all my pre-requisites that were more than 8 years old before the "non-traditional" pathway even existed.

Why do you ask?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gravanshir,

I'm not 100% sure what the career changer category is but I have been accepted this year and am 33 (6 or 7 years out of school - no sure which as memory fails in old age).

I was accepted through the regular stream as I had recently re-taken all my pre-requisites that were more than 8 years old before the "non-traditional" pathway even existed.

Why do you ask?

Thanks Robbie. By "career changer category" I mean the new non-traditional pathway. I asked because I was considering doing a second bachelor's program to apply. If you don't mind me asking, are you a QC resident and where did you redo your pre-reqs?

Hey Gavanchir, I am also an older non-trad and was accepted this year in the regular stream. Not sure if I would have been admissible to the new non-traditional stream since I was out of school for over 3 years, but then I went back full time (so that might have excluded me).

I don't know how old you are, but age certainly doesn't seem to be a factor at McGill, so go for it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am also waitlisted at McGill.. I have a feeling that it will take forever before the waitlist is used - everyone I know is accepting their offers. My guess is that the people refusing it will either do so because they want to go to Laval or Sherbrooke to save 1 year, or to stay near home; or because they come from a french cegep - which I understand, because the adaptation from french to english is really hard (I did so from high school to cegep).

Let us know if anyone has their status change!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I have been given the opportunity to go to the interview conducted in French but I am really worried this will be disadvantageous in any way (if they prioritize anglophones for ex). I am more fluent in French than in English... so I really don't know what to do! help !

Go with whatever you're more comfortable. There is no prioritization according to language. Also, the ratio of student from Marianopolis getting in Med-P declines every year, so it's surely a plus to be able to speak French

Very excited to be accepted! Non-Traditional Pathway - IP.

I'm not sure how McGill calculates GPA for non-traditionals but my OMSAS was around 3.6 and I didn't submit an MCAT.

Bachelor's of Nursing with 10 years experience in women's health and reproductive health.

ECs: leadership/director positions, working with many populations through work, volunteer with with sexual health organization, piano and some fine arts.

Applied: UBC, UofC, McGill, McMaster, Dalhousie

Interview: UBC, UofC and McGill

Accepted: McGill

Accepted IP.

3.83 GPA BMath, 4.0 GPA MMath

35O MCAT [12/12/11(bs)]

ECs: several health related co-op work experiences, volunteering with cancer patients, studying Mandarin.

Third year applying and third year interviewing at McGill.

I am very grateful for this opportunity! McGill has always been my first choice.

For those with bad news: I was rejected after the interview the last 2 years. I know how hard it is to get this far and barely fall short. Remember you are not alone, more amazing people get bad news than good (they are just more silent on the forum). Lastly, try again. Don't let anyone (adcoms included) hold you back from your dreams.

Somewhat disappointed

IP, 3.83, grad work, research.

Felt great after interview but within a few days realized a few areas that possibly could have gone better (of course it's hard to know without any feedback).

I have accepted the spot on the waiting list and may remove myself to pursue other options over the next few months.

Very excited to be accepted! Non-Traditional Pathway - IP.

I'm not sure how McGill calculates GPA for non-traditionals but my OMSAS was around 3.6 and I didn't submit an MCAT.

Bachelor's of Nursing with 10 years experience in women's health and reproductive health.

ECs: leadership/director positions, working with many populations through work, volunteer with with sexual health organization, piano and some fine arts.

Applied: UBC, UofC, McGill, McMaster, Dalhousie

Interview: UBC, UofC and McGill

Accepted: McGill

That nursing experience is going to make part of 2nd year a breeze. ;)