Premed 101 Forums

Does OMSAS round your gpa?

OK so a question, say i take all my courses and convert them to gpa values corresponding to the mark, and then i divide by the total number of credits that the courses are worth and i get a number such as 3.67555555repeating

I notice that schools list cuttoffs/mean gpa/etc to 2 decimal places. In this case, would omsas round up to 3.68, 3.67, or keep it at 3.675555555repeating? It could make a difference on strict cutoff schools such as queen's and UWO

I don't think they round your GPA up. For example, the McMaster cutoff is 2.00, and they said somewhere on their website that 1.99 would not qualify.

i definetelyknow that 2.99 doesnt go to 3, but im mean like a 2.997 would that get rounded to a 3 by OMSAS?

are you sure about that? For Ottawa, I went through their formula and calculated my wGPA and I should have missed their gpa cutoff by .01 BUT my rejection email said that I MET the gpa cutoff but didn't have enough EC's to qualify for an interview. Now i've tried some variations on their formula that may have lead to a .01 difference, but the only way to explain it is if they have rounded up. (either that, or their strict cutoff aint so strict and they thought b/c i was so close they'd let me slip into the next category)

are you sure about that? For Ottawa, I went through their formula and calculated my wGPA and I should have missed their gpa cutoff by .01 BUT my rejection email said that I MET the gpa cutoff but didn't have enough EC's to qualify for an interview. Now i've tried some variations on their formula that may have lead to a .01 difference, but the only way to explain it is if they have rounded up. (either that, or their strict cutoff aint so strict and they thought b/c i was so close they'd let me slip into the next category)

I emailed omsas and they said they round down and i gave the example that was specific to the situation..ie 3.93999 wil be 3.93 not 3.94..thats not to say that schools that calculate their gpa differently don't round up..like wGPA calc of Uottawa is not done by omsas..or is it?

Archived