Premed 101 Forums

salaries

tmc

I haven't been able to find an exact quote, but rest assured if your a dermatologist you will be living very comfortably. They earn one of the highest salaries out of all/most of the specialties, up there with plastics and radiology. This is also one of the most competitive specialties to get into, since there are very few spots.

Hi there,

According to the 2003/4 BC physician billing document, the mode (most numerous) billing category for dermatologists was $200-299K per year. Nineteen dermatologists in BC billed this amount at that time while 3 billed $600K or greater. Interestingly, the mode was identical for plastic surgeons but none billed at $600K or greater. Something to take into consideration though: both of these specialties are within fields where private practice is common and the fees resulting from private practice would not be included in this list of billings.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 months later...

It depends where you work. If you're in Quebec, expect to make less (I believe they have a salary cap at $500K). But in Alberta, Ontario & BC, you'd make more.

If you did a lot of cosmetic work, take home net pay maybe around $600 000K and more? Mind you, if you're doing a lot of cosmetic work, you've got HUGE overhead (lasers, PDT and usually lots of nurses to help you take histories, explain procedures, etc).

If you were salaried in an academic centre, probably considerably less, I've heard the figure is about 1/3 or 1/4 of what you could maximally earn doing cosmetics...so..maybe 150 to 200k?

Generally, dermatologists do a mix of both general and cosmetic, so I'd say they make somewhere inbetween a purely cosmetic & academic salaried physician, ~$300-500 k?

Physio

• 4 weeks later...

Note: this is only for OHIP billings without considering the income from cosmetic procedures.

In 2005-2006, 182 dermatologists in Ontario had an average gross billing of 290,100. The dermatologists in the 95th percentile and above billed an average of 559,200.

They make a lot, period.

• 1 year later...
Note: this is only for OHIP billings without considering the income from cosmetic procedures.

In 2005-2006, 182 dermatologists in Ontario had an average gross billing of 290,100. The dermatologists in the 95th percentile and above billed an average of 559,200.

They make a lot, period.

Coupled with the fact that derm is so portable and has practically no call - hence making derm the most competitive specialty to get in CaRMS

• 2 months later...
...Only dreadfully boring if you don't know what dermatology actually is...

Seconded.

Lots of people think dermatology is only about skin disease. It's really about how internal disease manifests itself on the skin. To be a respectable dermatologist, one must also be a sharp internist.

Despite the fact that it's dreadfully boring and a waste of a medical license! Funny what money will do for some people...

You're an idiot.

Dermatologists do things unrelated to cosmetics, and cosmetics is still a field we need in society.

You shouldn't judge people.

N. B. : I have no interest in dermatology and know no dermatologists.

You're an idiot.

Dermatologists do things unrelated to cosmetics, and cosmetics is still a field we need in society.

You shouldn't judge people.

N. B. : I have no interest in dermatology and know no dermatologists.

Everybody has their own interests in medicine. I just don't think as many people are interested in SKIN as is reflected by the competitive nature of the specialty.

• 2 weeks later...
Everybody has their own interests in medicine. I just don't think as many people are interested in SKIN as is reflected by the competitive nature of the specialty.

There's a reason for that. Derm is one of the most competitive residencies not because of the absolute number of people who rank it first overall, but because of the very few residency positions that exist. If you have a small number of people (let's say 30) ranking derm first (which has let's say 15 residency spots) then you're going to only have a 50% success rate of matching to it. So it's highly competitive relative to its few residency positions available.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived