Premed 101 Forums

Physio or Immuno?

Doctor_Strangelove

I've recently started my classes at McGill in Microbio&Immuno and I'm starting to feel that this department isn't right for me... The teachers don't seem very interesting, the student union seems pretty crappy and the Duff building is kinda dark and gloomy lol. So, I was wondering whether I should switch into Physiology. Not only do I prefer the teachers and find the classes much more interesting, but the student union seems much more active than the MIMM student union. However, my goal is to get into medicine and I don't want to sacrifice my application by switching into a "less prestigious" (if we can say that) curriculum. Personally, I would love to be in Physiology but I would just like to have some opinions on whether it's a good idea to switch out of a "programme contingenté" such as MIMM. Basically, would medical schools equally consider 2 equally competitive students in terms of academics and extracurriculars although one is in MIMM and the other in the "less prestigious" Physiology.

Ugh!.... you just quoted what I said and gave no answer lol

I clearly wrote "less prestigious" (IF we can say that) which means that I don't think that it is more prestigious but that it is a more selective program than Physio.

Why god why!

I hope next posts are more constructive :P

hahaha well I would suggest to switch! because you clearley dont like the program. And McGill and other unis dont care either way if you have done Physio or M&I. so switch away all you want :D

for me physio sounds more "presitgious" as I love physio more :P

Physio rulzzz:) Now in med 1 at McGill, I find Physio major is helping me extremely...even tho I still have to study, 80% is review! I found Physio courses the most interesting, yet challenging...best thing is that it doesn't involve 100% memorization like a lot of other life sciences classes, there's thinking too, especially as you get to 300-500 level courses.

hahaha well I would suggest to switch! because you clearley dont like the program. And McGill and other unis dont care either way if you have done Physio or M&I. so switch away all you want :D

for me physio sounds more "presitgious" as I love physio more :P

Heh I do love physio also. It's just sooo interesting. Thanks for the posts guys!

One question though... A-kitten did you do the honors program in your U3 or you stuck to the Major? :rolleyes:

And gratz on getting into med kitten! I was so damn close to getting into premed, if only I had known premed existed when I did my first semester in cegep. :P

I've recently started my classes at McGill in Microbio&Immuno and I'm starting to feel that this department isn't right for me... The teachers don't seem very interesting, the student union seems pretty crappy and the Duff building is kinda dark and gloomy lol. So, I was wondering whether I should switch into Physiology. Not only do I prefer the teachers and find the classes much more interesting, but the student union seems much more active than the MIMM student union. However, my goal is to get into medicine and I don't want to sacrifice my application by switching into a "less prestigious" (if we can say that) curriculum. Personally, I would love to be in Physiology but I would just like to have some opinions on whether it's a good idea to switch out of a "programme contingenté" such as MIMM. Basically, would medical schools equally consider 2 equally competitive students in terms of academics and extracurriculars although one is in MIMM and the other in the "less prestigious" Physiology.

Switch into the program that you like. In the end, the selection commitee views all life-sci based programs the same as every other. The 'prestige' factor only exists among your peers, no one else.

Programs only become a factor if you have something out of the ordinary, say a Anthropology or fine arts degree. In such a circumstance, it's a bonus because it stands out from the slew of MIMM, physio, biochem, path etc applicants.

Strangelove, I did a regular major, b/c I tried to fit a Psych minor, which I ended up not completing anyway lol. Really, the adcom cannot care less which major you do and doing honours doesnt give you any bonus. Speaking of that, if you dont' go into honours, make sure you get some research experience - lab or clinical - it does not matter. Uoft and McGill LOVE reserach.

Perhaps doing a minor in a non-health related discipline, say religion/languages/anthro would give you an advantage: a) b/c you'll seem like a more rounded person to the adcom, B) you'll learn to write better and express yourself better in general, which a lot of life science kids can't do well....

Hehe, true true. I'm thinking of doing a minor in something totally unrelated to the biological sciences but I still don't know what to pick :P Fortunately though, my English and communication skills are pretty good. Actually, all my English teachers recommended that I apply for law instead of med lol! As for the research, that's definitely a must. I wonder how to get research projects though...

Oh well, thanks for the info again kitty. I still haven't decided on MIMM or Physio but I can also change majors next year without any repercussions.

Hehe, true true. I'm thinking of doing a minor in something totally unrelated to the biological sciences but I still don't know what to pick :P Fortunately though, my English and communication skills are pretty good. Actually, all my English teachers recommended that I apply for law instead of med lol! As for the research, that's definitely a must. I wonder how to get research projects though...

Oh well, thanks for the info again kitty. I still haven't decided on MIMM or Physio but I can also change majors next year without any repercussions.

you'll have no problem finding research projects by being in the honours program either in immuno or physio:)

Does anyone know how "Contingenté" Physio is? And what kind of cote R it takes?

I'm interested in transfering as well. Currently studying at the MacDonald Campus (also known as "The Farm School" :D ) in an interesting program, but the 1:15 to 1:30 hour ride to go there and the 1:30 to go back is quite exhausting (not to mention that I CANNOT study in a bus, that I'm wasting 3 hours of time every day, etc ...).

I'd be interested in Physio because:

A) It's closer to Downtown

B) Physio rocks your world :cool:

Is it possible to transfer for this winter? Or do I have to wait a whole year?

Also, I had a Cote R of 24.5 at CÉGEP and 27-28 during my first year of university...is it enough to get in Phsyio?

You can change your major at any time on Minerva. Physio is not at all contigente so once you are in the faculty of science, you are free to jump from major to major. Just be sure because micro is one of the few that are capped and if you change your mind you will have to re-apply to the department. But otherwise, you could change from micro to physio to anatomy to anything in the faculty (I think micro and comp sci are the only exceptions). It is up to you to make sure you meet all the requirements of the major you are registered in by graduation. In fact, if you wanted to live life on the wild side, you could complete all the classes for physio and then change your major the day you request to graduate. However, being registered in any department does give the added perk that if you have trouble registering for a course, they will bump you in if you need it for your program.

As for you choice: I graduated from micro at McGill and thought it was great cause I got to take a lot of classes in other life sci departments as complementary classes. I highly recommend biology of cancer.

do whatever interests you. if you think immunology or physiology would give you an edge in med sch or help you with the mcat then you're dead wrong. i did economics and math in undergrad a few of my friends were philosophy and history majors and we're doing just fine in med sch. so if you like literature or music, go for it. you'll make a much attractive candidate among the countless bio majors. and for god's sakes there's no major that is more "prestigious" than another.

i have to agree with solocup. Do whatever interests you. I can't believe that people think certain science programs are more "prestigious" than others. if anything, from what i've heard from my classmates, physio is actually one of the most challenging life science undergraduate programs at mcgill. I didn't have a physio background and I did well on the mcat and very well in my first year of med school. I think it's better to enjoy your undergrad and worry about the material in med school when you get there.

as a side note, if you really want to take a course that will help you in med school, take an anatomy course.

now a medII at UofM,,,i can tell u that nobody cares what program u are coming from!!

I did Physio,,,and sure it helped with certain things,,but it ran out quick, and ppl who had music degrees were explaining me venous return curves haha.

Do what u like and do WELL. At the end of the day its ur GPA that counts! NOT ur program.

Archived