Premed 101 Forums

Q for you TimmyMax or Kosmos (re: anaes elective at UWO)

Scholastica

Hi TimmyMax or Kosmos,

I'm a 2nd-year student @ UofA interested in anaesthesiology. I'm not sure what I wanna do yet, but I'm leaning towards either Anaes, IM, Peds, or Ob/Gyn. I am studying at UofA now, but I've got a lot of family & friends in London & Toronto, ON (I actually got a bachelo'rs degree from UWO!! :)). So, I've been thinking of doing some electives this summer at either UofT or UWO. Should I do a 2-week elective in Anaesthesiology at my own school first, learn some skills, and then apply to do a 2-week or 3-week elective in Anaes at UWO (or UofT)? I obviously don't wanna make a bad impression at a school I wanna be matched to in the future. But, I also wanna be close to my family this summer...

Anyd avice would be great! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this.

That is a tough question/dilemma. It is always nice to look like a superstar when you go away. If you really want to end up in TO or UWO and not your home school of UofA then I probably would recommend that you do a elective in Edmonton first then go away. That way when you get there you will have some of the basics in both knowledge and skills by the time you get to the places where you want to match. If that is not possible then do a lot of pre reading (i would read a lot either way before you go on elective) and then explain that you want to do anesthesia but were not able to obtain an elective prior to showing up at thier door. That way thier expectations of skill set won't be as high. Everybody understands that you have to start somewhere. Remember whereever you go they have seen many students going through that that is thier only clinical rotation in anesthesia as it is required rotation at that school. I think showing interest is more important than having skills as skills can be learned by anyone with time.

That is my opinion.

BTW I think a great book for med students considering anesthesia is Morgan and Mikhail Clincical Anesthesiology (the Lange book). If you get some of the basic reading in that book especially in the first 10 chapters you will be gold.

Good luck

Archived