Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

That's a pretty solid MCAT score. Did you apply to Canadian schools?

Yep, no dice. Waitlisted @ UWO currently. Interview went well but I only eeked past the GPA cutoff so I'm assuming I get a 1 or 2 out of 25 for my post-interview score :(

Alternate plan (should I not go to Australia) would be spend another year or two bolstering the GPA then having another go at Canada/US. I'd like to have the option to specialize should I find something I'm particularly interested in and CARMs doesn't seem to be friendly to non-Family-Med-IMGs. Also Australia supposedly will be hard to get an internship in as well... thus the age old predicament :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Nosuperman,

Take a year to improve other aspects of your application, work on your interview, and apply again to Canada. It will save your allot of money and you will be on a level playing field when considering the specialties you are interested in. Depending on the school, such as Manitoba, a 34 MCAT could be weighed very heavily.

yeah, nosuperman, those stats are way too solid to go abroad.

improve your ECs, take a year off, travel, work and apply again, you'll make it.

going abroad is a big decision, so don't take it lightly, especially when you have a good solid chance (I didn't so that is why I'm in Australia - OMSAS GPA - 3.4, 3.6 last 2, 3.9 MSc (not that it matters), 10/10/11/P MCAT, no interviews in Canadia, applied once across ON and USA, 2 interviews in the states but not enough money to pay for tuition so cancelled).

i love it here, but i do sometimes wish I had done a 2nd undergrad instead of the MSc and gotten in back home so be 100% sure you want to go abroad and risk stonewalling yourself with huge debt and no guaranteed job at the end (Aus is gonna be difficult and of course Canada is just ridiculous as always).

If you want more info on Australia, have a read at http://www.medinoz.com

Wayne State and Rosalind Franklin (got off the pre-interview hold on that one).

Note that AMCAS was more friendly to me and my GPA was 3.6/3.33 (c/BCPM) and 3.8/3.6 in my last 2 (strong upwards trend) and 4.0 in my MSc.

Regardless, $ was a big issue so I chose against the US.

• 9 months later...

Toronto high school, Canadian citizen

Accepted into RCSI 6 years program

Will graduate from high school (Grade 12) coming June.

Applied for RCSI with Grade 11 average of 86, must get 80 average in Grade 12 to confirm offer of acceptance.

Interviewed in Toronto on March 1, got acceptance letter on March 15.

Will be going.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Residency: British Columbia

Degree: Bachelor of Kinesiology

School: University of the Fraser Valley

Citizenship: Canadian

GPA: 3.1

MCAT: 31O

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (O)

I was accepted at the University of Wollongong in Australia for January 2012. This is my first year applying.

Accepted at: University of Wollongong

Rejected at: All Irish schools

Waitlisted at:

• 2 months later...

Vancouver B.C. Resident

Mature student with no undergrad degree(high school + 1 year of college)

No MCAT (did Australian ISAT instead)

I was accepted to UWS (University of Western Sydney) and JCU (James Cook Uni) in Australia This is my first time applying to these schools.

Accepted at: UWS, JCU

Rejected at: UNSW, UTAS

I will be attending UWS 5 year MBBS program

• 1 year later...

Accepted at: RCSI .. haven't heard a word from any other Irish schools.

cGPA: 3.70 (steady upward trend)

MCAT (PS,VR,BS,WS): 10/11/09 S

Graduated with BSc June 2012

ECs: Pretty average - a few long term volunteering commitments, publication, varsity sports team 4 years.

Interview: I thought it went very well during and after.

Decision: Although I have received nothing but rejections from Canadian schools, I am leaning towards hanging tight for a year and reapplying. I feel like if I apply just once to Canadian schools, I'd be doing myself a disservice.

• 3 weeks later...
Accepted at: RCSI .. haven't heard a word from any other Irish schools.

cGPA: 3.70 (steady upward trend)

MCAT (PS,VR,BS,WS): 10/11/09 S

Graduated with BSc June 2012

ECs: Pretty average - a few long term volunteering commitments, publication, varsity sports team 4 years.

Interview: I thought it went very well during and after.

Decision: Although I have received nothing but rejections from Canadian schools, I am leaning towards hanging tight for a year and reapplying. I feel like if I apply just once to Canadian schools, I'd be doing myself a disservice.

Congratz, if you really want to go to a Canadian school, yes definitely give it another shot

have you considered rewriting the mcat?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Lets keep this thread to the point and limited to the following as intended originally:

I'm a (Province or State) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies, and have (Canadian or US or XYZ) citizenship. My GPA was (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) by XYZ med school. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Accepted at: RCSI

Rejected at: UCD

Waitlisted at: Ross, SGU

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

• 2 years later...

Accepted at: RCSI - nothing from other irish schools
cGPA: 3.23 (Last 3 years 3.7)
MCAT (PS,CARS,BS,PSYCH): 127/127/129/128 (86th percentile overall)
Graduated with BSc June 2013 and MSc March 2016 (4.0 GPA for grad school)
ECs/Employment: Strong - worked as a clinical consultant and manager, scientific writing, 2 pubs and 2 in review, lots of community involvement, shadowing etc. 
Interview: Conversational and smooth, went very well 

• 2 weeks later...