Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted... great!

meshuga3

Can anyone comment on how the McGill waitlist works? I just got placed on the International applicants' list. I'm wondering three things: 1) How big is the waitlist, usually- does McGill waitlist everyone, or do they actually give out rejections? 2) Is the waitlist ranked? and 3) How/when does it move? Does it move all at once after May 15th, or do people get pulled off the waitlist as accepted candidates turn down their spots? Any help appreciated!

not everyone is on the waitlist but it is generally long. The have a cutoff grade and everyone above it is accepted or waitlisted while the rest are rejected. If you call (even if they tell you not to) they generally tell you how many are on the lost and if you are in the top or bottom portion of the list but not the exact position (at least in the past years) and the list moves as people reject their offers so it can start moving now until the last week of august. If you are not in the top third of the list your chances are slim as it generally doesnt move that much.

I am IP and the interviews aren't out yet, but I do know that for our pool of applicants, no one will be rejected until like april, when acceptances go out. At McGill, the waitlist movement is almost inexistant. This may be only for IP, but I think that due to the limited # of spots, OOP is the same. hence if you didn't get an interview when OOP interviews went out, its highly unlikely that you will get one, or that you will hear back in the near future. They used to tell you their decision right away, but one year almost no one applied and they had to interview people that had been told that they had been rejected.

Hope his helps!

The international waitlist actually moves quite a bit (the OOP waitlist does as well but only once the other schools start to give out their answers in May-June). Most of the people who apply as international apply to many other schools and dont have the same allure (ridiculously low tuiton for IP) for McGill as IP students do. The only waitlist that doesn't move is the IP for reasons I've mention above and that it is the only english med school in quebec

Can anyone comment on how the McGill waitlist works? I just got placed on the International applicants' list. I'm wondering three things: 1) How big is the waitlist, usually- does McGill waitlist everyone, or do they actually give out rejections? 2) Is the waitlist ranked? and 3) How/when does it move? Does it move all at once after May 15th, or do people get pulled off the waitlist as accepted candidates turn down their spots? Any help appreciated!

Archived