Premed 101 Forums

mock interviews

I'm pretty sure the concept of mock interviews depends mostly on the initiative of the current first year class, which would be meds11. I know that meds09 did it for us, meds10. I know that my class did not do it last year for the incoming class (meds11), and I don't know if meds09 did it a second year in a row. Can ya follow all those numbers? The short answer to your question is no, I do not believe there will be mock interviews this year. That being said, I would take advantage of the contact list that was sent around to all the interviewees, most of the people on that list would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Its something I did 2 years ago when I was in 1st year just cause it seemed like there was a lot of demand for it - that said, it's not something officially sponsored or run by the faculty, I just had their backing and that it was okay.

Most universities have career centres that offer interviews, I know UofT and OttawaU both do, so take advantage of those.

Julie if you wanna take control and do it this year, shoot me a PM and I'll let ya know the logistics of when I did it.

yeah, phone interviews might be the easiest on applicants who will be commuting... because otherwise hosting them the day before the interview or something like that would likely scare people who get some negative feedback more than it will help them... and if you're not going to be told where you can improve, then what's the point of doing a mock interview?

I realize that price of long distance may be an issue, but many people have unlimited long distance plans, and I'm sure applicants would be willing to call potential mock interviewers themselves if it means getting some helpful feedback.

PS. it's nice of you guys already to offer your contact information if we've got any questions... Ottawa's looking more appealing by the minute :D

That would be super great! Do you think that students in the francophone would be interested in organizing a mock interview?

Thx in advance!

Yes, I'm in the francophone program and am thinking of organising something... I'm working out the specifics, will let you know when I have more info.

yeah, phone interviews might be the easiest on applicants who will be commuting... because otherwise hosting them the day before the interview or something like that would likely scare people who get some negative feedback more than it will help them... and if you're not going to be told where you can improve, then what's the point of doing a mock interview?

I realize that price of long distance may be an issue, but many people have unlimited long distance plans, and I'm sure applicants would be willing to call potential mock interviewers themselves if it means getting some helpful feedback.

PS. it's nice of you guys already to offer your contact information if we've got any questions... Ottawa's looking more appealing by the minute :D

I just wanted to say that I think there still can be advantages to doing an interview in person, at least for some people, even if it is just a few days before. The feedback that will be given will be constructive, so of course we won't say something that would just make you panic. We'll work on what might be improved & will obviously keep it manageable. Last yr I did a mock in person 2 days before my interview (I was lucky to be able to fly a few days early like that, I know it's not always possible...). I think that, more than the actual feedback I got, just the opportunity to practice in the same environement as the actual interview (in the same rooms & everything) really helped my anxiety. So of course if everything is going to be rushed and it would just add to the anxiety, over the phone is great (and easier for us!)... but I just wanted to mention the possible pros of doing it in person if you are able to make it work.

yeah, i guess a mock a day or two before the actual interview, in the actual setting, with people who have gone through it before, is helpful regardless... if anything they can point out major missteps to not do for the actual interview, or just be a confidence booster. Whatever it is you guys offer, I don't think there's any reason to turn down extra practice/help.

random question... i happened to read a passing comment on these boards about an "emotional intelligence test" people were given during their interviews last year... i'm not sure if this was in reference to something completely unrelated, or if we will in fact be subjected to some sort of test.

Archived