Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Congrats to everyone that got in and I look forward to meeting my fellow mates of the class of 2016 !!

My profile is as follows:

IP (NS resident)

GPA: 3.82 last two years

MCAT: 34 O

ECs: I didn't do anything like go to a developing country and volunteer. I only did 2 things: worked with kids at the local community center and St. John's ambulance. I did these two things for the last 3 years on a consistent weekly basis.

NB resident accepted first time applying. Last year of a BSc Psychology. My best 2 of 3 years GPA is 3.93/4

MCAT scores

PS: 10

Verbal: 10

Bio: 10

WS: R

EC: Three years as a student senator, 4 years (3 years on executive and as president) of best buddies, cheerleading, heavily involved in mental health volunteering, 4 years as a medical receptionist, international volunteering, summers spent shadowing doctors in many specialties, working at Ronald McDonald house, house council, very little research

My tip is to major and volunteer in areas that you are interested in. Also consistency, commit to your EC's. Your passion will come through in your application.

Interviewed: UoT, UoO, MUN, Dal, Queen's

Accepted: Dalhousie and MUN

Have yet to hear back from Ontario schools...

I'm a NS resident in Honours Biology at Acadia. My GPA was 3.91 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 8

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 9

Written Sample: O

I was ACCEPTED by Dalhousie!! This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dal as my first choice!! :) Congrats to everybody else. Still can't believe it.

OOP (ontario)--Waitlisted.

Congrats to all those who got accepted! I'm actually happy to have gotten this far and this close, especially when I think about how tough it is for OOP students.

Looks like I'll have to wait until May 15th before I hear any possibly good news (or earlier if Dal's waitlist moves).

I'm a NS resident in graduate studies. My GPA was 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 8

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dalhousie as my first choice.

Accepted! -NS resident, 2nd time applying.

I finished my BSc (Honours) in 2010 and I finish my M.Sc. this summer

My cumulative GPA is around 3.7 (M.Sc. grades + best 2 consecutive years of undergrad).

My MCAT scores are:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (7)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Writing Sample: (Q)

EC: numerous medically and non-medically related volunteering experiences, varsity athletics, shadowed a family physician, student council, lots of research experience (both academic and work), presented at a few conferences, received various awards/scholarships.

Interview: Thought I did a fantastic job in a few stations and bombed a couple but overall I left feeling that it went fairly well (although everyone I talked to thought the same thing!). If I can give any advice it would be to practice with others to get a feel for how to answer questions, borrow techniques from others in how they answer questions, and get some constructive feedback on where you can improve.

Dal was the only school I applied to so I will obviously be accepting!

Rejected :(

IP-NS

Honours Bio + co-op

GPA: ~3.9

MCAT: 9PS/11VR/11BS

ECs: Pretty standard. Part time work all through university, tons of lab experience, one paper and a couple of abstracts, academic and research awards, volunteer ESL tutoring and job hunt assistance to new immigrants, volunteering at the hospital/rehab centre/a nursing home, special olympics, other stuff.

I am super bummed but I am definitely not giving up!

(this is my first time applying)

I'm an NS resident and I finished my BSc in Chemistry and Physics in 2011. My GPA was 3.42/4 (most recent 2 years) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (14)

Verbal: (12)

Biological Sciences: (15)

Written Sample: ®

EC: Marching band, pops orchestra, worked part-time (20 hrs/week) grading calculus assignments during undergrad, OR ward volunteering, emergency room volunteering, summer jobs at science museum working with kids, retail jobs, other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I was first waitlisted and now ACCEPTED (August 16th, 2012) by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying (first completed application; withdrew my first application pre-interview 2 years ago because I ended up taking a year off before finishing my degree).

Dal is my first choice.

I'm pretty excited to be waitlisted given my GPA. I felt good about my interview, personal statement, etc. - here's to hoping the WL moves a bit this year! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and congrats to those accepted! And to everyone who was rejected - don't give up!

I am a PEI resident that finished BSc in 2011. GPA 3.94/4

Physical Sciences - 11

Verbal - 8

Biological Sciences - 11

EC - leadership roles in a few student societies, part time jobs during school, volunteered in nursing homes, etc

I was ACCEPTED by Dalhousie -This is my second time applying, last year I was waitlisted with a score of 72. (I think the minimum to get into PEI last year was ~ 76)

I'm a NS resident, and finished my Master's degree in 2010. My GPA for Dal was 3.92 (1 year grad studies, + final 2 years undergrad), MCAT numerical score of 30.

Supplementary Info: Soccer, involvement with graduate student society, lots of work experience, including personal care work and several years as a research assistant, one first author manuscript publication, several research presentations and published abstracts at international conferences, national and provincial research scholarships while in grad school.

This is my first time applying to Dalhousie, and I was accepted. :) So excited!

Just to let people know, I had two failed courses during my first year of undergrad - so don't let any early mistakes stop you from persevering if this is what you really want to do.

I'm a NB Resident finishing a BSc in Chemical/Biomedical Engineering. My GPA was 3.81 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences:10

Verbal:10

Biological Sciences:10

Written Samples:Q

EC: Shadowed heart surgeon, volunteered in Emergency Department, NB Heart Centre research, volunteer tutoring, taught guitar lessons

I was REJECTED by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

I'm a NS resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.92 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: P

I was waitlisted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

N.B applicant (first time applying to this school)

BSc/BBA

GPA: average of 3.9 best last two years

MCAT: 28

EC: Both medical and non-medically related volunteer work for last 8 years

(Quick question, when writing to inform that you wished to keep your name on the waitlist, did anyone recieve a confirmation email? I emailed medicine.admissions@dal.ca)

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 36

ECs: Student societies; tons of intracity soccer; volunteer tutor; personal care worker at hospital; volunteer after-school programs for elementary school kids; 1 publication... etc.

2nd time on the NS waitlist. Really hoped to get in directly this time.

• 3 weeks later...

I always wanted my first premed 101 post to be this great news!

I'm only posting now because I've been crazy busy with work this past month

I'm a NS resident finished my undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.8ish and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 7 (ouch)

Biological Sciences: 10

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my second time applying to this school.

And since I only applied to Dalhousie I will be attending

I'm a NS resident in 4th year Biology. My GPA was 3.9 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (9)

Written Sample: (P)

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dalhousie as my first choice.

I'm so happy and relieved to be posting this!

NS resident

GPA = 3.6

MCAT = 13 PS 10 VR 10 BS

I've been working as a community pharmacist for about 2 years. Lots of ECs - intramural sports, martial arts, duplicate bridge, various volunteer activities, lots of health care experience, job shadowing many different health care professionals.

Dal is my first and only choice. I look forward to meeting all of my classmates!

Dalhousie University

Class of 2016!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a NS resident, Chem Major, Health Minor. My GPA was 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (12)

Written Sample: (T)

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

Extracurriculars: Sports, Research (1 Pub), Hospital Volunteering, TAing, RAing

Congrats to everyone!

I was an out of province applicant.

I really don't think MCAT and cGPA make much of a difference other than a FLAG. If you meet the criteria great. Everyone at the interview at least for OOP had good scores and MCATs. I think the interview you really need to show what makes you unique as a person, and not focus on how much research youve done, or how high your marks are. Basically everyone has done research/presentations/volunteering etc so that won't make them remember you. Prepare scenarios for MMI's and package yourself in a way that shows why you are unique. Thats how I think I did well. I got accepted to all other interviews as well using this formula. :)

Good luck to all others as well and congrats if you got in

Accepted OOP wait-list. Time stamp: 2:31 pm, May 31.

Currently completing Masters. Last 2 year undergrad + first year Masters GPA = 3.95/4.

MCAT:

Physical- 10

Verbal- 10

Writing- Q

Bio- 13

ECs: medical internship in Africa, first author book chapter publication, beer brewing, other run-of-the-mill stuff

Interview: Thought most stations went well, though some were a bit rough.

Been a student in NS for the past 6 years, but unexpectedly found out I was considered OOP by the new place-of-residence guidelines this year. Still in disbelief that I got in. Accepted the offer, sorry to those on the wait-list!

Interviews: Dal, Queen's

Wait-listed: Dal, Queen's

Accepted: Dal!

Wait-Listed at Saint John Campus, 2nd time applying, 2nd time wait-listed.

BSc. in General Biology (Honours)

GPA: 3.8/4.0

Verbal Reasoning (VR): 10

Physical Sciences (PS): 09

Writing Sample (WS): L

Biological Sciences (BS): 10

Regular volunteer at hospital emerg, work in Health Physics, plus many, many hobbies

Thought the interview went well. I need to work on a few things (MCAT included).