Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

NB Applicant, Rejected

GPA: 3.6/4.0

MCAT: 28 (8PS, 10VR, 10VR)

ECs: Thought they were on the strong side going in, but apparently they were pretty average. 2 summers doing research, 2 summers working with rec. therapy, hospital volunteering, publications, shadowing, intramurals & others. 

Interview: Spent a lot of time preparing for it. Went to workshops, had a practice group, etc. Didn't feel too great coming out of it. According to my score, it looks like I bombed it

Really disappointed about the outcome but it's only my first time applying. Still have a lot of stuff to work on and I've learned so much from this experience that I will be apply to the next cycle of applications. 

Accepted :) (off the NB waitlist) 

GPA: 3.8/4.0

MCAT: 30 (10, 10, 10)

ECs: 4 years of local community volunteering, 3 of which were in leadership roles (youth breakfast program, homework tutoring help, afterschool program, summer camp), 2 years of hospital volunteering, 11 years of competitive soccer, most of which were as captain (various leagues), 1 research project, at least 3 hours/week of fitness activities (weights, running, or biking)

Interview preparation: I read Doing Right and practised every two days with my friend via Skype for a month. 

Note: My EC score was very low, likely due to my lack of more healthcare related experience. 

Good luck future applicants and don't give up! :)

Accepted off the OOP waitlist!!!

GPA: 3.8/4.0

MCAT: 34 (13,10,11)

ECs: varied; some include shadowing cardiologist, 1 year hospice volunteering, lots of research during grad and undergrad (3 pubs), been working in the medical device industry as an engineer for the last 3 years

Interview: Read Doing Right and used HC websites such as White Coat Black Art and Healthy Debates to prep. Answered a lot of sample personal and healthcare questions but didn't really practice with anyone. Interview felt good.

Note: my Dal score was 74.89.

Good luck to remaining waitlisted applicants!!

Accepted off the IP waitlist!

GPA: 3.9/4.0

MCAT: 27 (8,8,10)

ECs: Lots of various things; Leader of the Bladder Cancer Canada Halifax Events Group; long-time volunteer at the Canadian Cancer Society; Lots and lots and lots of undergrad research and a few awards; conference attendance and presentations; diverse job portfolio (worked as a solar technician for a while, medical research, and grocery store clerk haha) etc etc.

Interview: Read Doing Right and took a free prep seminar course offered at Dal. If anything, take a course like that just to get used to talking with strangers about relevant topics. Came out of it feeling pretty good. White Coat / Black Art was a great resource as well.

Dal Score on Waitlist (IP): 72.92

GOOD LUCK!

• 9 months later...

NB Applicant, Wait listed

GPA: 3.7/4.0

MCAT: 24 (7PS, 9VR, 9VR) I may rewrite 

ECs: A lot of random stuff, from hospital work, to peer mentor, science editor at a school paper, teaching assistantships, etc...

Dal Scores:

19.0/25 MCAT/GPA

Essay/Supplemental 22.50/30

Interview 24.80/40 (Disappointing) 

Total:

Average accepted: 71.5

If others have their sores from New Brunswick waitlist, maybe post and we can maybe get a kind of list structure going.!

Accepted!!!!

GPA - 3.9

MCAT - 510

IP

Interview: Who knows, felt pretty good about it at first and then I went back and forth up until right now. Must have been fine!

Extra: Quite a bit of volunteerships over the past 4 years, tons of research background with publications, many different jobs since undergraduate, lots of teaching as both a TA and instructor. Can't type anymore!!!!!

Declined (NB)

GPA 3.9/4

MCAT 35

EC: Standardized patient for 2 years, worked in a health clinic for 2 years, research, shadowed for 30 hours, part time jobs all university, volunteering a bit, and summer jobs. .. and that only got me a 16.58/35 on essay/supp

interview 20/40..

well not getting into mun either cause I thought my interview was way better here. 

ACCEPTED!! 

OOP

GPA: 4.0/4.0 (most recent 2 years)

MCAT: 514

Interview: I honestly felt great about it. It was the first step in the process that I came away from feeling positive (i.e. I wasn't in LOVE with my essay and the MCAT did not feel great at all lol!)

I'm a non-traditional applicant. I took the second undergrad gamble and it paid off. I hope this brings some hope to those of you who may need to take the scenic route to your medical dreams. For me, it was SO worth it!

Accepted, OOP applicant

GPA: 3.8/4.0 (American undergrad)

MCAT: 33

Interview: With the exception of one station, I felt it went very well. 

I've been working in the US for a couple years since college, and I didn't know if I'd ever have the chance to come back to Canada...so, I'm really excited! Many congratulations to all accepted and good luck to those waitlisted.

Wait-listed, OOP applicant

Academic Score 21/25

Essay & Supplemental 15.23/35

Interview 32.4/40

Total score 68.63

Pretty disappointed at the Essay/Supplemental score, will need a feedback session to see where I went wrong. Congrats to those who got the good news!

Hey everyone! This is my second time applying, never posted here before.

I've been waitlisted (NB applicant), but I won't be keeping my name on the waitlist as there's another program I'll be pursuing in September instead of med school. Just thought I'd post all my info here anyway, I'm sure ppl on the NB waitlist will be happy to know there will be one less person on it :)

Academic score: 22/25 

Essay/supplemental: 18.14/35 (lol)

Interview score: 27.2/40

Total score: 67.34/100

Waitlisted, NS Applicant

Academic score: 19 / 25 (GPA: 3.7, MCAT 508)

Essay/Supp: 20.25 / 35

Interview: 29.6 / 40

Total: 68.85

Since I don't think anyone's posted them yet, here are the average scores for accepted NS applicants:

GPA: 3.8 (13/15)

Old MCAT: 29  (7/10)

New MCAT: 510  (7/10)

Supp/Essay: 23.1 / 35

Interview: 31 / 40

Total: 74.1

Congrats to all those accepted!

Hey everyone! This is my second time applying, never posted here before.

I've been waitlisted (NB applicant), but I won't be keeping my name on the waitlist as there's another program I'll be pursing in September instead of med school. Just thought I'd post all my info here anyway, I'm sure ppl on the NB waitlist will be happy to know there will be one less person on it :)

Academic score: 22/25 

Essay/supplemental: 18.14/35 (lol)

Interview score: 27.2/40

Total score: 67.34/100

Cool thanks for the info :D

Accepted (NB Applicant)

GPA: 3.95/4.00
MCAT: 29 (10 BS, 10 VR, 9 PS)

EC: 1,000's of hours on the piano (Master's degree in Piano Performance, competitions, recitals, etc). Volunteering in doctor's office, and in SMILE program. Various jobs, taught over 50 piano students (this one helped a lot).

Interview: Probably my weaker point. I had 22.7/40 last year, but I worked hard over the summer on improving communication skills and got some advice and mock interviews. I think some people (like me) just really need to prepare way harder for the interview if they are not naturally good at interviews. So my advice if you didn't get in because of the interview.... Make a deliberate effort to practice for next year's interview. Get as much advice as possible, study potential questions, maybe take a course in communications skills, etc.

2nd time applicant.

ACCEPTED!!! I'm shaking...

NB Applicant

GPA 3.8

MCAT 503

Mature student

I don't see a score break down on my letter though? Where is it supposed to be?

Unbelievably happy right now! There are no words to describe how I feel.

I ca't wait to meet my classmates in August:)

DAL 2020!!

. Mine didn't either! I think it's only on regrets and wait list for the purpose of feedback and how to improve for next years cycle. And congrats!

3rd time non-traditional IP applicant

2014 - rejected

2015 - waitlisted

2016 - accepted!

I'm so, so, so relieved.

To everyone who has been rejected or waitlisted who plans to apply again, look at your scores and see the areas you can realistically improve in. I do not have a science background and my GPA and MCAT score were just ok (3.7 and 28) The only thing I did differently this year was tweak my essay, have an extra year of volunteering to add and I paid for interview coaching, which was worth it. The interview is a huge part of your score.