Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Accepted! IP

MCAT 29 

GPA 3.6ish I think

Interview: good, it was my fourth one, did the group training sessions with Jeanette, got the private coaching with Gordon and practiced with friends. Tried to have fun and be myself in the process!

Extra curricular: this is where I have lost it in the past, worked hard in the last few years to get more volunteer/research. I do have a lot of hospital experience as Im in clinical for my program, this strengthened my essay too, which I got a few key people to read (but not too many).

This is my fourth time applying over the last 6 years. If you got bad news this year, that was me last year, take a day to recover and then do everything you can to make your application better. You will get in!

Accepted (NB Applicant)

GPA: 4.0/4.3 (I don't remember how this converts on Dal's scale)

MCAT: 28

This is my 2nd time applying (first time I was waitlisted) and I took two years off from the application process. My ECs are great but nothing like some of the rest of the stuff I see posted on here. Volunteered as a lab scribe, working throughout my undergrad, volunteer teaching in Spain, shadowing a family physician, on a few committees. I think my interview was what did it. I've been in and out of Asia for the past 3 years working and travelling, which really matured me as an individual and must have come across in the interview. 

To anyone facing a Waitlist or Rejection letter, I strongly encourage you to take time off for yourself and explore the world outside of academics. You'll be so thankful for that time for personal growth and exploration once your committed to school. Also, if you pursue something totally different and still come back to medicine after, it means you really want it :)

Being waitlisted was the best thing that could've happened to me in this entire process and I hope you don't take it personally. SO many amazing candidates apply and having an extra year to work on yourself or do some travel is something you'll never regret.

Accepted (and completely baffled!!!)

NB resident, BSc (Honours) in Medicinal Chemistry (+ minors in math, psych, and certificate in health ethics).

1st-time applicant, currently finishing my fifth year.

GPA: 3.6/4.0 (3.7/4.3)

MCAT: 505 (new format, corresponds to about 28 on old format)

Research & ECs: 1-month volunteer trip to rural Ghana, president of Red Cross club at UNB for 2 years, co-founder & volunteer of UNB first aid team for 2 years, Medical First Responder license, independent songwriting for 10 years, 5 publications (one first author), presentation at an international global health conference, 3 other presentations at national conferences, initiator of a curriculum reform at UNB, Honours thesis in quantum chemistry, volunteer at campus Sexuality Centre for 1 year, self-training bodybuilder for 2.5 years, 7 years of food drives on Halloween, 5 years with an annual community fundraiser for the women's shelter, political canvassing in the 2015 federal election, swing dancing, and about 30 hours of shadowing ophthalmologists.

Employment: 1 summer as lawyer's assistant, 2.5 years in sales (part-time) at an optical outlet, 2 summers as research assistant, 1 summer research fellowship at a corneal transplant institute, 2 semesters of TAing.

Awards: Governor General's Bronze Award, multiple small scholarship, Sir Howard Douglas Award, 1st place at a variety show, 1st place at a campus research symposium, 1 non-NSERC research grant.

Interview: felt extremely good about pretty much all but one station, but I had been practicing for these for literally years prior to actually interviewing. I STRONGLY recommend ethics and psychology courses for preparing.

Completely against my expectations, the AdCom appears to be more than willing to look past a low GPA AND a fairly weak MCAT... I hope some of you with grades/MCATs on the lower end can take comfort in this.

I have applied to MUN as well, but I am quite likely to choose Dal over MUN *should* I get a second offer.

I am so proud of all of you!!!! :D Also those who did not make it this time around, you have all done incredible work. This is not AT ALL the end of the road!

OOP

Rejected

Academic 22/25

Supplemental 18.21/35

Interview 22.4/40

Total: 62.61

I'm not overly surprised I didn't get in on the first try, but I definitely thought I did better on the essays and interview. Points to improve for next time. I look forward to having a year to relax a little bit and come back strong next year :)

Congrats to everyone accepted!

In case they weren't already posted, the OOP score averages:

Average GPA = 3.9 (14/15)

Average MCAT = 33 (9/10)

Average 2015 MCAT = 514 (8/10)

Average Supplemental/Essay = 24.7/35

Average MMI = 32.6/40

NB resident, BSc (Honours) in Medicinal Chemistry (+ minors in math, psych, and certificate in health ethics).

Research & ECs: 1-month volunteer trip to rural Ghana, president of Red Cross club at UNB for 2 years, co-founder & volunteer of UNB first aid team for 2 years, Medical First Responder license, independent songwriting for 10 years, 5 publications (one first author), presentation at an international global health conference, 3 other presentations at national conferences, initiator of a curriculum reform at UNB, Honours thesis in quantum chemistry, volunteer at campus Sexuality Centre for 1 year, self-training bodybuilder for 2.5 years, 7 years of food drives on Halloween, 5 years with an annual community fundraiser for the women's shelter, political canvassing in the 2015 federal election, swing dancing, and about 30 hours of shadowing ophthalmologists.

Employment: 1 summer as lawyer's assistant, 2.5 years in sales (part-time) at an optical outlet, 2 summers as research assistant, 1 summer research fellowship at a corneal transplant institute, 2 semesters of TAing.

Awards: Governor General's Bronze Award, multiple small scholarship, Sir Howard Douglas Award, 1st place at a variety show, 1st place at a campus research symposium, 1 non-NSERC research grant.

Interview: felt extremely good about pretty much all but one station, but I had been practicing for these for literally years prior to actually interviewing. I STRONGLY recommend ethics and psychology courses for preparing.

Completely against my expectations, the AdCom appears to be more than willing to look past a low GPA AND a fairly weak MCAT... I hope some of you with grades/MCATs on the lower end can take comfort in this.

I have applied to MUN as well, but I am quite likely to choose Dal over MUN *should* I get a second offer.

I am so proud of all of you!!!! :D Also those who did not make it this time around, you have all done incredible work. This is not AT ALL the end of the road!

HOW on earth are you baffled with all of those ECs?! lol

Congrats!! So happy for you!!!

Accepted!

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517
Interview: Felt great leaving, felt I made a lot of connections with the interviewers, lots of conversation.

Supplemental: honestly thought this would keep me out, my essay content was strong I believe but didn't feel it was "polished" enough. My ECs were haphazardly entered to some extent, noticed typos in dates etc after submission. 

Congrats! I'll see you in August. All that hard work paid off:)!!

NS IP, Accepted!

4th time applicant (anyone who didn't make it this year, keep trying!!!!)

GPA: 4.0 ish, can't remember

MCAT: 30

ECs: I have been gradually building these up, as it is where I've been the weakest. 1 recent research pub and one more pending, 1.5 years employed in health research, 2 years of working in a medical lab, volunteering with several local organizations long term (if you have time, look into St. John Ambulance's VMR program. An AMAZING opportunity to practice hands on patient care http://www.ns.sjaresponder.ca/how-to-join), volunteering abroad (IVHQ has incredible healthcare volunteer programs), runner for 7ish years, gymnast for 10 years...

I felt really great about my essay this year, and practiced for the interviews tirelessly with a few co-applicants.

Congrats to everyone, and good luck to everyone re-applying. You'll make it!!

OOP Waitlist!

GPA: 4.0/4.0

MCAT: 33 (10PS, 10BS, 13VR)

ECs: Non-trad person stuff, work, etc... PM for details!

Dal Scores:

MCAT/GPA - 24/25

Essay & Supplemental - 19.82/35 - (OMG, how? I thought I did so well on this!)

Interview 30.40/40 - (OMG, how? I thought I bombed this!)

Total: 74.22

Disappointed? Excited? I don't know what to feel!!!

Like Fry, Zapp, and Kiff alternately smiling and frowning after having been sentenced to death by Snu Snu!!!

Accepted IP (NS)

Guys, this is my 4th time applying ( and I didn't even qualify for the waitlist the first 3 times around)!!! Please please don't be too discouraged if you didn't recieve good news today, and keep trying if this is truly what you want to do ... the accepatnce will feel all the sweeter in the end if you had to 'work for it' a bit.

Stats:

GPA: 4.0

MCAT 30

Interview was by far my weak point in the past so I took preparation extremely seriously this time around. I am also a mature applicant in my late 20s with a masters, working currently in the healthcare field which probably boosted my supplimental score.

IP (NS) rejected

GPA: 3.9/4.0

MCAT: 510

EC: ESL teacher for refugees, IWK Ronald McDonald, Hospital volunteering with the elderly, various scholarships/ awards (Aramark Leadership, Dal IMPACT, scholarships, etc.), Society leadership positions, others. 

Interview: Felt great.  I did a variety of medial ethics courses, White Coat Black Art, practiced with other applicants, etc. 

Absolutely in shock of my overall score.  Much, much lower than I had expected.  Trying to stay positive, and will try again.  I'm very happy for those of you who got in, you all deserve it! 

Accepted (IP)

I am a second time applicant and I could not be more ecstatic. 

I was on the waitlist last year, and found this forum extremely helpful in getting through the months of hoping and wishing after opening my letter.

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 28

EC'S: varied - varsity athlete for 5 years, school council, youth coach, special olympics coach, volunteer in the hospital, volunteer at many community events, with the MS Society etc.

Can't to meet all those accepted in the fall and to those who did not get the news they were looking for, don't give up on your dreams :)

Accepted IP 

2nd time applicant and also waitlisted last year. 

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 30

ECs: Diverse across all categories (societal involvement, clinical and community volunteering, employment, few research-based awards/accomplishments) but nothing outstanding. 

For those of you who are waitlisted or rejected, use the remaining time to work really, really hard on the component of your application that suffered the most. At this level, everyone is more than capable and there are minimal differences between applicants. Don't give up!!!

IP (NS) Accepted! 
GPA: 3.8/4.0
MCAT: 28 (11-verbal /10-biological /7-physical) 

BSc Psychology (no honours) MA health related, thesis based 

ECAs: Lots of volunteer/student society positions over the last 7 years of being at university- some medical/health related, lots of leadership roles and community volunteering. Also did some physician shadowing, medically related volunteering abroad (3x), volunteer and paid research assistantships, teaching assistant, spent a semester abroad. A few awards, scholarships, and conference presentations. 

Interview: I felt happy with it afterwards, and prepared a lot for it over the years, tried to not over prepare this year and be more relaxed. Loved the Jeanette Hung seminars at Dal and listened to all of the White Coat Black Art podcasts. 

This was not my first time applying, and for those of you that did not get good news this year, keep trying!

Accepted!

OOP 

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: PS 11 VR 10 BS 12

Extracurriculars and Interview: PM me for details

To all those rejected or wait-listed: please don't give up. I received 20 pre-interview rejections from 15 schools over the past 3 application cycles. I've wanted to become a physician for as long as I can remember and I am determined to practice in Canada. In undergrad I chose to follow the typical premed path but my grades and MCAT scores never seemed to be good enough. I spent too much time and energy worrying about those numbers and ultimately convinced myself that I would never be accepted to a Canadian medical school. All it took was one interview to change everything; I had the chance to prove myself independent of my stats, essays, and extracurriculars. To all those who feel the same way -- hang in there. Don't let rejection or self doubt stop you from reaching your goal. The application process is full of ups and downs but if you truly want to be a doctor, you will find a way to make it happen. 

My score this year was 65.45 and seeing as the average IP accepted score was ~74, I'm wondering if it is even possible for me to get near close to that by next year? It's hard not to self doubt. For any of you who were rejected in the past, did you find that focusing on your weaknesses really improved your scores over the year? For me, it's the interview that I'll need to work on (26/40).

My score this year was 65.45 and seeing as the average IP accepted score was ~74, I'm wondering if it is even possible for me to get near close to that by next year? It's hard not to self doubt. For any of you who were rejected in the past, did you find that focusing on your weaknesses really improved your scores over the year? For me, it's the interview that I'll need to work on (26/40).

I also got rejected this year, but I do want to say that you definitely shouldn't give up. A 26/40 isn't terrible - the average for accepted people was around a 31, which with more preparation, you can definitely achieve. Reflect on what went wrong, on where you could have improved, prepare a while in advance, and give it another shot. 

In the mean time, I'm assuming your EC score wasn't exceptionally high either. That being said, ECs are an area where improvement isn't overly difficult. Ask for some feedback on your essay, adjust it accordingly, and pick up some more volunteering work during the next year (or however many more until you apply again). 

A few friends of mine who got rejected after their undergrad but accepted this cycle after finishing their Masters had similar scores (in the 60s) the first time around. 

Don't give up! You can do this. You spent years working hard to even just get the interview. You can make this final push, I guarantee it.