Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

IP (NB) Applicant

After three years of applying, I finally have an acceptance! After last year's low wait list score definitely surprised to receive this.

GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 504

Interview: Felt like this was by far the best interview I had ever done. Was extremely pleased walking out of there. Think I actually preferred interviewing in Saint John rather than Halifax.

Hopefully this post can show that a strong interview can make up for a low GPA and MCAT!

Have also interviewed at MUN but am currently leaning towards Dal even if I do get in there.

IP (NB) Applicant - Accepted! (first time applying)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 524 (129/132/131/132)

Interview: felt like it went fairly well, only one station that really stumped me. I felt much more confident than I did at MUN interviews 2 weeks earlier. 

ECs: non-traditional applicant. MSc in biology, hospital volunteer 8+ years, Let's Talk Science Volunteer 5+ years, peer mentor, OneMatch volunteer, worked in a lab for 5+ years after my undergrad as a research assistant, numerous conference presentations, awards etc. 

IP Accepted!

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 518 (130/129/130/129) 

ECs: a little bit of everything!

Interview: I think it was so-so, I went back on forth on it over the past few months. My biggest tip is don't get discouraged by a rocky station especially at the beginning, try to psych yourself back up as much as possible for the rest! 

OOP

2nd rejection

MCAT: 515 (130, 129, 130, 126)

Interview: "Felt" worse than last year, but apparently I scored better *shrugs*

ECs: varied, lots of medical related, not a lot of "volunteering" though, maybe that got me. Spent time on my essays.

Scores:

GPA/MCAT: 22.00/25.00 (same as last year)

Essay & Supp: 21.75/35.00 (up from last year)

Interview: 25.20/40.00 (up from last year)

Total: 68.95/100.00

Total was 62.61 last year, so I'm doing better which is better than nothing!

Still have another interview in 2 weeks so wish me luck! I'm a bit bummed but it's a journey! Congrats to those that made it this year and chin up to those that didn't. We'll get there!! :)

"lots of medical related, not a lot of "volunteering" though"

​Would you mind explaining how you have lots of medical experience but not volunteering? how were you getting your medical experience?

"lots of medical related, not a lot of "volunteering" though"

​Would you mind explaining how you have lots of medical experience but not volunteering? how were you getting your medical experience?

Yeah absolutely! I was a student athletic trainer for 6 years (lots of injuries/on-site first aid) and I've been a medic in the reserves for almost 5 years working in the field and in clinics. One is "extra-curricular", the other is "employment". Did that answer your question?

IP (NB) First time applicant (mature student) - Accepted!

MCAT: 503

Supplemental: Quite a variety of medical and non medical involvement. Worked in community health doing community development for a few years where I worked collaboratively to develop food security, health promotion, and harm reduction initiatives. I also coached basketball for a number of years, was on numerous non profit boards, and was the President of a mental health advocacy program. My letter was well written and discussed not only my accomplishments, but also the impact they had on the overall health of my community. 

Interview: Went quite well. My experience in community health definitely helped with this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the IP waitlist has moved...

The Dal forum seems to be very quiet lately!

I checked the Facebook page and it seems like quite a few new people were added within the last week and few days. That is probably a sign that the waitlist has been moving, but they could be OOP and NB residents as well. 

• 1 month later...

IP Accepted off Waitlist (score of 71.47)

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 510 (130/126/129/125) 

ECs: Did quite a bit in high school and 4 years of undergrad, but only what I really enjoyed!

Interview: Thought it went much better than last year, but my score actually went down.

SO EXCITED!!

OOP Accepted off the waitlist this morning

Score: 74.45

MCAT was 515 with a 130 CARS

ECs/General attributes : lots of research experience with one pub and a bunch in the works, work at a research centre, Master of Public Health from UofT, public health placement in Labrador, Reviewer for the journal Youth Engagement in Health Promotion, supervised a Masters student, worked on a cross-Canada KT workplace intervention project, worked as a Charge Nurse and PSW in a retirement home. 

This has been my dream for over a decade. During my Masters I decided against medicine, but came back to it last year and know this is the path for me. As a 25 year old who hadn't studied the basic sciences in 8 years, studied, retook the MCAT and applied to 10 schools across Canada. Only interviewed at Dal and I am overjoyed to be going there. 

Waitlisters, keep your heads up!

19 hours ago, catchlynall said:

OOP Accepted off the waitlist this morning

Score: 74.45

MCAT was 515 with a 130 CARS

ECs/General attributes : lots of research experience with one pub and a bunch in the works, work at a research centre, Master of Public Health from UofT, public health placement in Labrador, Reviewer for the journal Youth Engagement in Health Promotion, supervised a Masters student, worked on a cross-Canada KT workplace intervention project, worked as a Charge Nurse and PSW in a retirement home. 

This has been my dream for over a decade. During my Masters I decided against medicine, but came back to it last year and know this is the path for me. As a 25 year old who hadn't studied the basic sciences in 8 years, studied, retook the MCAT and applied to 10 schools across Canada. Only interviewed at Dal and I am overjoyed to be going there. 

Waitlisters, keep your heads up!

Congrats.  So your friend with low 75 got accepted too?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...