Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Guest yves m

OOP applicant from NL

Got the news a while ago but haven't posted.

Waitlisted at Dal (#23). I would have liked to have been higher but it is better than nothing.

Completed Biochemistry (Nutrition) (Hons) at MUN

4.0/4.0 GPA

88.3% overall average

MCAT

10PS

10VR

11BS

31P

Lots of sport extras, coaching, clinical epidemiology research, hospital volunteer work.

Interview went ok.... not great.

Guest speedyg

Just got back from the UK on business to find my reject letter.

I'm a first time NS applicant to Dal. I didn't apply anywhere else. My degree was in engineering and I graduated with a 3.6/4.0 GPA.

MCAT score was 36N:

14 PS

12 VR

10 BS

I felt my interview went well but knew I was missing any work, volunteer or otherwise, in the medical area.

Congrats to those who already got accepted and good luck to those who haven't heard or who have been deferred.

Guest MedSchoolHopeful

Just got the email today.

MCAT: 11, 11, 11

GPA: 3.9/4.3 last two years

Lots and lots of ECs: president high school, valedictorian, president university residence, v-p fraternity, martial arts instructor, genetics research

Volunteering: personal care work at an assisted living residence, fundraising coordinator for local charity

I would say that my interview went well.

Guest IWKPIC

I received the deferral email yesterday as well.

I have a BSc and I just completed an MHI degree.

MCATs 26P :(

Lots of ECs, volunteer work, emergency response work, in hospital volunteer/non-volunteer work.

I thought the interview went well at the time!!

Guest Madz25

Just got the deferral e-mail today. I'm an NB resident.

MCAT: VR 9, BS 11, PS 14, R = 34R

GPA: 3.82/4.0

I just finished an HBSc at UofT. This is my second time applying to Dal. I applied last year as a 3rd year student and was rejected post-interview. Dal is my first choice.

ETA: I've been ACCEPTED to Dal!! I will definitely be accepting the offer as Dal has always been my first choice! :rollin

Guest melNB

I was indecisive for awhile as to where to go, but I’m now extremely excited to start at Dalhousie this August!:D

Accepted: Toronto, Dalhousie, Memorial, Ottawa, Alberta (waitlisted 1st), and UBC

MCAT: VR 9, BS 10, PS 10 =29 P

GPA: 4.15/4.3

Completed Bachelor of Science (Biology) and a minor in Psychology at the University of New Brunswick.

Several years of hospital experience, multiple international healthcare experiences, NSERC, Chair of large university organization, MCAT Instructor/Site Director, etc.

Guest newibe24

Deferred

Just got the deferral e-mail. I'm an NB resident.

MCAT: VR 9, BS 9, PS 8, O = 26 O

GPA: --for my undergrad..not the best (B+) in Bio Psyc, but upgraded for 2 years in pre-medical courses (4.2/4.3)

I feel I have strong reference letters/personal bio etc. Interview went well.

Got my deferral, can’t stand the wait. This is my second time applying to Dal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nbgurl

I received my deferral email today....looks like another few weeks of waiting.... I'm an NB resident just graduated with a BSc Honors Biology.

GPA for last 2 years: 3.8/4.3

MCAT: 28O

Quite a few extracurriculars but didnt have medically relevant volunteer experience until just recently.

This is my first time applying to Dal.

Guest Longtimerunnin

I e-mailed Tracy yesterday and she mentioned that they were going to try and get the letters mailed out by the end of the week for all of those who have been deferred. So hopefully we wont be waiting too too much longer. :)

Guest fizio

I received my deferral email yesterday, which indicated that I would hear near the end of June.

My stats are

MCAT 26 R

GPA about 3.8/4.0

I am a health professional in the work force for 8 years, with extensive volunteer experience in the community. No volunteering abroad however. My extra curriculars are very strong, but my scores may be problem, and perhaps my interview wasn't scored as well as I thought...speculation at this point to pass the time! As a wife and mom, this wait is really taking a toll on my family!

fizio

Hi!

I'm a NS applicant from Halifax, and I received my letter on Friday to say I was accepted! :) I graduated from Acadia in 2005 with an Honours in Biology, 2nd major Math.

GPA 3.99

MCAT 35M (12VR, 12PS 11BS)

I have a bunch of extra-curriculars, mosly sports (competitive and intramurals) with a little volunteering in a nursing home and with disabled children. I also spent 8 months of this year in Europe travelling and working.

I'll be attending U of T next year, so hopefully I can help someone get in off the waitlist!

Guest detoanna

Just got my letter in the mail today!! ACCEPTED!:D

i am from New Brunswick\. I graduated from UNB in Biochemistry: 3.8/4.3

MCATS PS: 8, VR: 9, BS:9 Writing:O

This is my 2nd time applying!

Guest newibe24

Hey everyone, pretty pumped up, was deferred now accepted. From NB

26 O MCAT

Pretty good GPA last 2 years (4.2/4.3)

Graduated in 2002, returned to school to study for med prep.

See you in Aug!

Guest MrNeuroscience

I am ecstatic to say I will be joining the Class of 2010!

I am originally from Halifax, graduated one year ago with an honours degree in Neuro. My GPA is 3.77 (I think) and my MCATS were 28-0.

Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Guest medicine1

Hi...I'm a PEI resident and #1 on the "PEI Waitlist". Obviously, any info from those PEI applicants accepted to Dal but planning to attend school elsewhere would be greatly appreciated by those of us on the waitlist. Thank-you and good luck to everyone.

Guest Camton

rejected

mcat

11 BS

9 PS (and I was a chemist, go figure)

10 V

Published medical papers, presented at medical confrences, shadowed doctors for more hours then I can count.

I'm angry right now, so I'm going to try and not post anything else.

Similar to Cactus, my letter got lost in the mail until I contacted the admissions office. I got my rejection forwarded via email (dated March 21!)

I'm an NB resident who just fininshed my undergraduate degree in Microbiology and Immunology. My GPA was 3.6 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 7

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: Q

I was rejected by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school. It was the only school I applied to.

Oh well, just have to re-write the MCAT and improve my GPA with another program. I will re-apply again down the road. The setbacks in life can only make you stronger!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monurch

Wow, still trying to absorb the email. After several years of frustration I am elated to say I will be joining the class of 2010 this August.

I graduated in 2000 with a BSc and have worked in research for the last 5 years. GPA 3.79/4.00, MCAT 27P, NS applicant.

To those on the waitlist, don't give up hope.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ezaholic

Does anyone have the OOP stats compared with the In-province stats?

I know they usually interview about 50 OOP - how many seats are there for OOP?

Thanks,

ez

Guest debbieL22

Just got the email today - I had to read it over and over again, I just couldn't believe it! (I decided to pay my deposit fast, before they change their minds!:lol )

I'm a NS applicant, just graduated last month from U of T, majoring in Psychology and Human Biology.

I can't wait to meet all of you in August, and best of luck to everyone else on the waitlist - it REALLY ain't over till it's over!

Guest NBdancingMD

Me too!! Just got my email today (was on the NB waitlist) and am ecstatic to be joining you all in the fall!!

I'm an NB resident in undergraduate studies. My GPA was 4.27/4.3 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: S

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Dal Med School as my first choice.