Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

REGRETS

NB

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 31M (11-11-9)

ECs: Non-trad with a family, I only started my volunteering in third year due to having a family. According to the scoring, I was very behind in supplemental and it doesn't even look like I got the 'bonus" points.

Tutoring (under privileged) from September 2011- December 2012

Mentoring (under privileged) from September 2011- present

MFR volunteering with St. John ambulance May 2012- present

student research job September 2010 - April 2011

student research job September 2011 - April 2012

NSERC-WATER Summer 2012

A bunch of scholarships for low-income.

I am excited to plan my life in NL for the next 4 years! MUN MED 2017!

CONGRATS! to all who got in!

Rejected

IP

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 27S

ECs: 2 terms volunteering in research labs, 100+hr patient support hospital volunteer, tutoring, work for family business in uni summer's and post-undergrad, coaching, lots of recreational activities, MS Walk, etc. (had a below ave supplemental score)

Rejected : (

OOP

Dal GPA: 3.9 (3.96 elsewhere)

MCAT: 38Q (14/11/13)

ECs: research, student government, scholarships, volunteering at hospitals and community groups, club execs, participation in other things I enjoy (music, etc), working at a nursing home

I feel really honoured to have even been interviewed at Dal as OOP! Good luck to everyone else, especially those of you on the waitlist!

Waitlisted

IP: NB

Dal GPA: 4.0

MCAT: P 9, V 7, B 12 M

ECs: Volunteering with 3 organizations, several research conferences, honours thesis and one publication, lots of work experience, and one team sport.

My EC score was slightly below average and my interview score was also less than average.

I am waitlisted at MUN also and I'm hoping to get a yes from one within the next month!!!

Accepted

IP: NB

GPA: 3.6

MCAT: P 8, V 12, B 10, S

ECs: All across the board. Medical and non, volunteer and employment, international and domestic, athletic, academic and artistic, but I don't have a B.Sc or lab research experience. I figured ECs would either be my golden ticket or my downfall, depending on who they're looking for!

_____

Applied: Dalhousie, McMaster, Queens

Interviews: Dalhousie, McMaster

Regrets: Queens

Accepted!

IP: NS

OMSAS GPA: 3.82/4.0

MCAT: 11/10/11/Q = 32Q

Graduate student (several publications and conferences), NSERC, extensive research experience and employment, various grad undergrad and athletic scholarships, varsity athlete, coaching, travel, hospital volunteering

I will be going to Dal!

Accepted! Cannot believe this just happened, I am grateful for the process and journey...

IP

OMSAS GPA: 1st UG 2.4, 2nd UG 3.7, Best three out of four in 2nd UG 3.8

MCAT: 27

ECs: Tonnes of student society from year 1-4, provincial level sport 1yr.

Volunteer: tutoring for 3 yrs.

Work: worked in a manufacturing plant, research assistant, full time work after UG as healthcare professional. (If they asked me to write up a full work history it would include everything from McDs to cleaning bathrooms to working in call centres etc...)

Health care: tonnes --> healthcare work and training.

Awards and accomplishments: 5 awards for student leadership/advocacy/humanitarianism, 1 for ethics, 1 poster presentation from research work

Interview experience: Brilliant! Was nervous standing at the first station's door but as I entered, I forgot that I was at a medical school interview and I felt in my element (working in hospital helps as it is an environment where I normally am in my element, this was no different in terms of environment). Tonnes of pre-interview prep, really started prepping the day I submitted my application used MSC Medical, Doing right, and tonnes of documentaries around the issue of social determinants of health. Few new books to look at if you are preparing for years to come include Ryan Mieli's book and Chronic Condition by Jefferey Simpson (didn't use these personally as they were just out but I think they have lots of important info that can help)

My application strategy: I tried to organize my application and essay such that they had one overarching goal/theme, this was risky but I have a feeling it paid off.

For NonTrads out there who've struggled and are still struggling but hanging on to that sliver of hope, I am truly humbled and admire your strength and courage, be realistic and don't give up, IT CAN BE DONE!

Will be joining Dal Med Class of 2017 in August

Long time pm101 creeper - first time poster. Can’t believe I am making this post! :)

NS Resident: Accepted

GPA: 3.85

MCAT: 31Q

ECs: Varsity sports, university involvement throughout undergrad and graduate school, volunteering with Special Olympics, a variety of hospital settings and long term care, volunteering with other (non-medical) community causes, 3 years of research in collaboration and long term care, currently working in health policy.

I am a mature/non-trad applicant and I wanted to offer a few words of encouragement to anyone who may be doubting themselves based on a rocky start in undergrad or who feels like they may be too non-traditional.…if you are willing to work on it and want it bad enough you CAN get there!

Can’t wait to meet everyone in August!!

NB Applicant

GPA: 3.80 on OMSAS scale

MCAT: 28

Interview score: 28

Essay/Supplemental: 19

Raw score at Dal: 28.

Have my B.Sc. and have been working two jobs to pay off all student loan debt (happy to say I am now debt free).

My EC include 40 hours of family physician shadowing, working as a TA (which was actually more of a teaching position), volunteering 30+ hours with a disabled person in a lab, working as a math and biology tutor, volunteering in the hospital, member of a few voluntary committees, and I have a blackbelt.

My work experience for my age is quite good - I've always held a job in order to pay for my own school/living. Have worked for Environment Canada for 3 years now, but I've done everything from working as a cleaner, a waitress, a lab tech to working in a law firm as a lawyer's assistant.

Pretty disappointed to be rejected from Dal and waitlisted at MUN, but I understand it was an exceptionally difficult cycle for NB applicants. Hoping for movement on the MUN waitlist (I know of atleast 6 people who got into both schools), and will use this time to improve on my EC/essay as well as spend some of the money I've earned to travel and possibly volunteer abroad.

Cheers to everyone posting and trolling these threads. And here's hoping you'll choose Dal so I can get bumped into MUN

Relieved to be accepted to Dal! (the only med school I applied to)

NS resident

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 27Q (P=7, V=10, B=10)

ECs: a little bit of everything...

I'm a non-traditional applicant with a Masters degree and three years work experience in social sciences research. My volunteer and work experiences cover everything from waitressing and cleaning rooms, to working as a camp counselor for kids and adults with special needs, being on the executive of a few university committees, international volunteering, tutoring, TAing, working as a community-university liaison, a few academic/social justice awards, CIHR funding and a few co-authored publications (health and policy-related).

Best of luck to those on the wait list! Looking forward to meeting the class of 2017!

Accepted.

Firstly congrats to everyone who recieved good news!!

Secondly, I'm posting on this not because my scores are particularily impressive, but because they aren't and I'd like those with similar stats NOT to give up if they weren't successful this year. Keep trying!

MCAT Score: 25 (wrote it 3 times...hated it more each time..where the heck did my summers go?)

GPA: 3.7 (Undergrad 3.6, Master's of Public Health 4.0)

No interviews anywhere else.

Varsity Athlete and captain, public health initiative development and implimentation, many different community activities, volunteer and employment opportunities, Basketball coach, health teacher, a ton of work with youth/interest in community and knowledage of our health care system, A ton of life lessons to discuss in my essay, a "good" interview and a pinch of luck.

For those of you unsuccessful this year keep trying!

Hey,

I just received a waitlist notification. Raw score of 72.75 for application, but after looking at the averages for the application round, I was wondering how close I am to making it through.

Anybody been accepted or wait listed willing to share to get an idea of the cutoff?