Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

OMG

OOP CONDITIONAL OFFER WOWWWWWWWW

GPA (two year): 3.9

MCAT: above OOP cut offs

Interview: Felt like 4 excellent stations, 3 above average, 1 average, 2 below average. Must have gotten a decent score but no idea how I managed that...

ECs: Didn't like the way I wrote the descriptions; they were honest but too flowery and I didn't think I got the Canmeds across very well. My personal essay, however, was solid. Re-wrote it entirely the night before after getting some feedback from a physician.

The maritime connection essay was also strong, but I don't think it counts post-interview. I think it helped that I talked about health issues affecting the region, personal connections, and then how all of these factors influence what kind of career you'd like in medicine.

Very happy to assist future applicants with their essays!

ACCEPTED! 

IP 

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 507

ECs: felt that this component of my app was strong - very diverse, lots of medically related volunteering, working part-time through undergrad, decent research + awards. PM me for more info if interested! 

Interview: Had a very positive experience - felt calm and collected the whole time. Practiced a lot for this.

Absolutely thrilled!!!! I can't wait to meet the class of 2022 :) 

17 minutes ago, bluejaysbaseball said:

Is anyone else confused by their e-mail?  It says the average accepted score for my category (which i assume is OOP?) was 72.5, but I had a score above that and was placed on the waitlist. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but any insights would help!

Hi bluejays, I think the actual admission list is determined by a z-score or something based on your individual scores in different categories...so your absolute score is somewhat Illuminative for where you’re at, but the actual ranking is more complicated. Wish I knew more!

NB resident accepted!!!!!

GPA: 3.9 I think?

MCAT: 522 (131/132/129/130)

ECs: probably the weakest part of my application and the reason I wasn't sure I even had a chance; worked during some of my undergrad & had a couple summers of paid research experience. Only a couple volunteer commitments, and those were only in my last two years (& they only considered my third year so)

Interview: no real idea how it went, but I feel like MMIs kind of play to my strengths, I'd much rather have a discussion about an issue like that then talk about myself in a traditional interview. I did feel like the MUN MMIs went better, for Dal I almost never spoke the full 8 minutes, there were silences at the end for most stations, but I still think I covered what I wanted to say and clearly it went alright!

Do only wait listed applicants see their scores?

1 minute ago, zoe1178 said:

NB resident accepted!!!!!

GPA: 3.9 I think?

MCAT: 522 (131/132/129/130)

ECs: probably the weakest part of my application and the reason I wasn't sure I even had a chance; worked during some of my undergrad & had a couple summers of paid research experience. Only a couple volunteer commitments, and those were only in my last two years (& they only considered my third year so)

Interview: no real idea how it went, but I feel like MMIs kind of play to my strengths, I'd much rather have a discussion about an issue like that then talk about myself in a traditional interview. I did feel like the MUN MMIs went better, for Dal I almost never spoke the full 8 minutes, there were silences at the end for most stations, but I still think I covered what I wanted to say and clearly it went alright!

Do only wait listed applicants see their scores?

Yes, only waitlist sees their scores

4 minutes ago, CaptainGear said:

This is a Med1 posting! The average score is a combined average of the score of everyone that was accepted AND everyone on the waitlist. This average score is different for IP and OOP, so the scores do not mix. I was accepted off of the waitlist with a score slightly below the average for my year!

Thanks for sharing! Do you have any comments on how the ultimate ranking ends up working? I.e., why someone with a lower score might make it in over someone with a higher score? 

19 minutes ago, seatosea said:

Thanks for sharing! Do you have any comments on how the ultimate ranking ends up working? I.e., why someone with a lower score might make it in over someone with a higher score? 

From all the information I gathered, I could not figure out exactly how it worked, but I do not remember anybody with lower scores at least posting on here that they got in over someone with a higher score.

3 minutes ago, CaptainGear said:

From all the information I gathered, I could not figure out exactly how it worked, but I do not remember anybody with lower scores at least posting on here that they got in over someone with a higher score.

I was thinking of Bluejaysbaseball above, since their score was above the mean. :-) 

1 hour ago, bluejaysbaseball said:

Is anyone else confused by their e-mail?  It says the average accepted score for my category (which i assume is OOP?) was 72.5, but I had a score above that and was placed on the waitlist. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but any insights would help!

You are sitting in a good spot that high above the average. The OOP list usually moves quite a bit in May when the Ontario schools release their letters. I don't want to say you will for sure get in, because you never know, but you do have a very good chance. 

ACCEPTED

IP 

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 515

ECs: Felt that they were quite strong given I am a current health care provider, with research publications and active volunteering in multiple healthcare settings.

Interview: Felt confident at the end of the MMI. Overall it was a great experience.

I'm very excited to meet everyone in August.

1 hour ago, CaptainGear said:

I spoke to admissions over the phone. They base it on a z-score for each section of the application score. So you're ranked on how each section score compares. It was explained a bit vaguely. However, they did mention that comparing each section to the averages gives you a decent idea of where you are on the list/your chances. The anonymous polls on these forums might give us helpless OOPs a better grasp of where everyone lies.

Also, the waitlist may flux a bit at the end of this month with Memorial decisions rolling out. It's likely that the largest movement will be around May with Ontario results coming out. 

ACCEPTED :D (

IP - NB resident

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 510

Essay: not my strongest but good overall. I felt I showcased my skills well but there were a few minor technical errors I noticed later. 

ECs: I felt really good about these. Multiple leadership roles, teaching experience, research publications (first author), and hospital experience. 

Interview: overall went really well. I find it's hard to tell how MMIs went after the fact but I wasn't left feeling like it went awful and I had few regrets about the discussions I had. 

Can't wait to meet everyone! :) and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!