Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

50 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Not for each province. One wait list each for NB, PEI, NS then one for everyone else.

That's what I originally thought but it how can it be that people with a higher score are still wait listed? There was a thread on here somewhere that explained that for the wait list you compete within your province for the remaining seats. I really have no idea though just trying to work it out.

40 minutes ago, KarlPilkingtod said:

That's what I originally thought but it how can it be that people with a higher score are still wait listed? There was a thread on here somewhere that explained that for the wait list you compete within your province for the remaining seats. I really have no idea though just trying to work it out.

It seems the score they give you is not what they use to determine the placing on the wait list. 

There has been some talk of z-scores, but that's beyond my abilities to comprehend.

4 hours ago, KarlPilkingtod said:

The exact method for determining our spots is something we will never know. The Z-score method would rely heavily on the standard deviation for each category they assess, and differences in the spread could have more of an effect than the actual weighing they do to each category. The raw scores would be correlated with Z-score (how correlated is something we can't say), but the fact that it doesn't directly mean anything does make me question the reason for even providing it. 

This is all speculation, and just based on things I've read here. Take what I say with a grain of salt. 

25 minutes ago, Waitlistmovement? said:

I was accepted off the NB waitlist today with a score of 69.67! my breakdown was:

GPA/MCAT - 22/55 (3.9 and 514)

Supplemental - 19.67/35

Interview - 28/40

If you'd like to know details about the supplemental, I'd rather discuss it privately. Feel free to PM me!

Congratulations! You must be ecstatic! :lol:

I'm hoping for some NS waitlist movement.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, KarlPilkingtod said:

Current wait listed NS applicant it's my first cycle applying. Kind of a stupid questions but does anyone know how late they continue to accept people? Are the vast majority of spots filled or can we expect more acceptances through June, July, and August?

I'm pretty sure I've seen, on this forum, people accepted as late as July? Might be able to see this if you go back several pages.

Class size is usually 110 or so. 92 people have registered for classes. So roughly 18 people are either unsure about whether they are coming or not or have just not gotten to the point of registering for classes yet. 

21 hours ago, knoxjax99 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen, on this forum, people accepted as late as July? Might be able to see this if you go back several pages.

Class size is usually 110 or so. 92 people have registered for classes. So roughly 18 people are either unsure about whether they are coming or not or have just not gotten to the point of registering for classes yet. 

Just to add to this, class size is typically 110, but last year (2022) was 112, and the DalOnline timetable showing 92 people registered actually says the max class size is 120. Not sure if that means there are 8 more spots than year or if it always says 120, but just food for thought.

46 minutes ago, chemicologist said:

Just to add to this, class size is typically 110, but last year (2022) was 112, and the DalOnline timetable showing 92 people registered actually says the max class size is 120. Not sure if that means there are 8 more spots than year or if it always says 120, but just food for thought.

Variation in class size is likely caused by the number of qualified indigenous and African Nova Scotian applicants. While these applicants are subject to the same standards for entry as all the other applicants, they are not ranked against the other applicants.

"Admission prerequisites are required for all applicants. However, applicants who apply under the Affirmative Action Statement are considered on the basis of their qualifications for the study of medicine rather than in relation to other candidates." 

Source: https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/about/affirmative-action-policy.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 10:20 AM, knoxjax99 said:

They will pull people off the wait list right up until orientation week is under way, though most movement is earlier on.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:12 AM, chemicologist said:

Pretty sure it’s still 110!  Individual class sizes may fluctuate year by year depending if some students are repeating a year (medical leaves of absence, mat leave, etc.).  So the number of students accepted each year does not change, but if one person went on leave or repeated a year they may have 111, and the year above 109, for instance.

17 hours ago, MDme? said:

Pretty sure it’s still 110!  Individual class sizes may fluctuate year by year depending if some students are repeating a year (medical leaves of absence, mat leave, etc.).  So the number of students accepted each year does not change, but if one person went on leave or repeated a year they may have 111, and the year above 109, for instance.

Class size can also fluctuate depending on the number of qualified African-Nova Scotian or Indigenous applicants.

Their applications are not counted against the class limit and therefore can push numbers higher, potentially.

• 9 months later...

Accepted!

4.0/517

lots of leadership (coaching, TA, president of student groups etc.) and some unique awards.

Interview: all around I felt really great about it. Had a blast! Will update with more info later

Also accepted at MUN, so got a decision to make! Leaning towards dal.